My latest goal: subcompact polymer pistol

dyl

So I went to a couple gun stores looking for my latest goal: a sub-compact polymer semi-auto pistol. Something larger than my J-frame to carry when possible.

Strangely after handling an SR9c, M&P9c, Sig 239, Glock 26, XDM compact in 9mm (forgot the official model name) - none of these seemed really to scream "oh teacher pick me!" The closest one was the XDM subcompact. I now suspect being sub-compacts none will feel perfect.

Did I miss any others in the light-weight sub-compact polymer genre? I wanted more capacity than the Kahrs by the way.

it's tricky because if I were to put Hogue/pachmayr/limbsaver - each gun would feel completely different in the hand. So how much does the "it felt like it fit my hand" requirement hold true?

I'm going to go back and handle them again. There's a range that has just a couple of those for rental but not all unfortunately.

My thoughts on:

SR9c - This was the one I'd done the most research on and looked forward to the most. The frontstrap was sharply rectangular and uncomfortable. I felt like my hand was slipping off the backstrap. Maybe that's because the lady that handed me the gun said she just put lots of hand cream on :mad: You know, maybe that's why I felt like I couldn't really get a grip on most of these guns since this was the first I handled. Backstrap was set to be flat. Price was the lowest of all these but still $480 seemed like quite a markup. Nearby range doesn't have these for rental.

M&P9c - I really liked the oval front-strap which fit my fingers well. The backstrap seemed a little short though - and not "grippy" at all. Again, might have been residual goop from the lady mentioned above. I suppose I could always modify the grip myself. Store wanted $599 for it. Another store nearby wanted $520. Having to move that little piece inside for every field strip might be a bummer. This was originally my second choice but if I go back find that the SR9c really doesn't fit this would be the new first place.

XDM - I liked the aggressive polymer texturing. My pinky fit snuggly if I had a little time to adjust - not sure I could pull that off in an emergency. Texturing made the grip feel secure on the front and back. The extra little doo-dads in the case wouldn't help much. I think they wanted $689 for it.

Glock 26 - sort of wished it had a rail on it but that's not a big deal. I really don't remember what the frame felt like in my hand. I've shot a 23 with a Hogue grip on it and that felt fine. Hope it's similar. I Don't remember the price.

Sig 239 - the grip felt good - reminiscent of a revolver grip being less boxy in nature. Was a bit heavier than what I'm looking for and was $800-something. That was a pretty big deterrent.

I was hoping the choice would be easy. This is more of a venting post than anything but if anything comes to mind feel free to comment.

dyl

Hey I didn't think of those. I'll have the look at the weight of the PX4 and if it's equivalent I really do like the idea of the rotating barrel. I'm a sucker for novely.

The PPS - ah, I don't think they had that one. I'll have a look around. One reason I was leaning toward the M&P was the Smith warranty - and that would apply to the PPS :) wouldn't it

spodwo

Hey I didn't think of those. I'll have the look at the weight of the PX4 and if it's equivalent I really do like the idea of the rotating barrel.

The PX4 Sub C doesn't have the rotating barrel...only the full and compact models...

From the Beretta site:

the Px4 Storm Sub- Compact uses a very reliable locked breech and tilt barrel system, providing a more compact and lighter weight system.

pichon

Sig P250 Subcompact. Capacity: 12rds of 9mm.

P250-SUB-TT-detail-L.jpg

proxpilot

did you look at the standard Springfield XD subcompact. the barrel length is shorter than the XDM compact but the grip is about the same. if you put a pearce pinky extender on it it's perfect..for me anyway. quite a bit cheaper also..
001-3.jpg

zombieslayer

Imo- the Walther PPS is king of all the polymer subcompacts. Most are double-stacks and don't meet MY defintion of compact. You really should check one out if you want an accurate, reliable, concealable poolymer.

Luis Leon

Its too bad that you want more capacity than the Kahrs provide. As that eliminates them from your consideration. I replaced my J frame Smith with a Kahr CW9. I gained 3 extra rounds in a sweet carrying and shooting piece. Good luck with your search.

Luis Leon

roach4047

I take it you're looking strictly @ 9mm pistols. Otherwise I was going to suggest you take a look into the Glock 32 and glock 33.

And of course the great thing about the glock stuff is they're a very modular platform, meaning that you could easily put a 9mm drop in barrel onboard and have 2 or even 3 guns in one if you desired to add a 40 S&W barrel as well.

Roach

dyl

Thank you, and...

I should have mentioned. For this round of purchases I was looking at sizes larger than the pf-9 or pm9 because that class of pistol (pocket semi-autos) will be my next goal after that :D This one would be for when I could afford to carry a little more OOMPH! in my belt. I really do like the pocket pistols but one at a time :)

Hey, I didn't even know the Sig 250 came in subcompact size. 24 ounces isn't too heavy as it seems about the same weight as the others.

Oh I see the PX4 is blowback only.. I suppose I shouldn't exclude it just based on that.

- forgot to submit this last night, my apologies for not addressing any comments since then

Steyr? I don't know much about them, haven't heard much about them except the Steyr GB I read an article about in American Rifleman. Sounds interesting.

Luis - thanks for recommending the Kahr. In the long run I suppose compared to the J-frame anything over 5 rounds would be a bonus right? I see why you were happy about that. I hope no one hates me for this but I just don't feel like supporting the Unification Church at this time by buying new.

Hope you all had a Happy New Year

Last edited:

dyl

the Sig p290 - Haha yeah I'm such a sucker for the "new thang" :) But since I don't have a ton of dough I'm usually more of a "want, but don't buy" kinda guy :D Or rather "wish, but can't buy. pocket pistol will be next after a compact/subcompact gun. - great idea though thanks.

For you all who mentioned calibers other than a 9mm, I was considering getting .40 cal in whatever I end up with and then buying a conversion barrel but I wasn't sure if the hassle of a new type of ammo and the cost of conversion barrel/spring was worth it. I suppose if the gun is a quality gun it should last a lifetime though and a little bit more would seem minor a few years later. A good friend of mine carries a .40 Glock 23 and shoots it in 9mm almost exclusively (lately has been loading .380 into 9mm brass for super cheap rounds) but hardly practices in .40 - Saves money but I wonder if that's the best policy. Then again I practice in .38 special and carry +p so look who's talking. :)

And a part of me is stubbornly wanting to resist the hype of the caliber wars. I read a snippet of one of Gabe Suarez's book which recommended "carry the largest caliber you can shoot well" and while I haven't shot a ton of .40, I remember it's easier on me than my J-frame.

vladan

No one mentioned the CZ2075 RAMI - nice little gun in 9mm or .40S&W, subcompact that can be had in polymer or alloyframe and have hammer instead of more common striker system so it can be carried in condition 1 or 2 ( well, even cond.3 but what's the point of carrying than?)

blackspyder

You're looking for the same thing I was looking for a few weeks back. I narrowed my list down to the following guns based on my tastes so bear with me.
The Finalists were:
-Walther PPS
-Sig P250 sc
-Springfield XDm SC
-Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro (I had shot the 40 S&W version before and really enjoyed it)
-Kahr P9