My Latest (Acquired) Revolver

lamarw

Scored this used S&W Model 42 Airweight yesterday. In a strange way its concealed hammer reminds me of a 1980's Cadillac Seville trunk line. We used to call them the sawed off Caddy.

It should make for a handy carry since it fits right in the rear pocket of a pair of jeans. The loaded weight is 16.9 ounces and the unloaded weight is 14.2 ounces according to the kitchen scale.

I believe it is of early 1960's vintage and has a serial number of 194XX in case anyone has a closer date to its manufacture. Maybe GM used it as a design model some 20 odd years later.

I believe S&W has started making these again as part of their "Classic Line".

Hope these pictures come through OK. I have ordered a Tyler T-Grip to see if it helps make it look meaner. ;) I thing the T-Grip will also help with larger hands and help with the "lemon squeeze" function of the safety.

Attachments

• Model 42 LS (1).jpg
    Model 42 LS (1).jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Model 42 RS.jpg
    Model 42 RS.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

RJay

S&W only lists that serial number being made from 1952 to 1970. Serial number sequence 1 (1952) thru 30160 (1970).

I have a Model 042 Centennial that was made in the early 1990s. It's a modern iteration of the Centennial Airweight without the grip safety.

I've been looking for a true 42 to add to my safe for years, but have never been able to find one at the same time I have money.

lamarw

Thanks RJay and Mike. I got this one at a reasonable price in my opinion. The Blue Book does say the earlier models without the "L" prefix in the serial number is more desirable.

The "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" is not precise in the production date linked to serial number. I do know it is after 1957 and before 1966. I tend to think it is between 1962 and 1963, but only a guess on my part. The "L" prefix serial numbers began in 1971 and the Model 42 was discontinued in 1974.

" I tend to think it is between 1962 and 1963."

When I looked at the pictures that's actually what I was thinking, too.

Have you taken the grips off?

These used to come with a small pin that could be used to lock out the grip safety.

You'd remove the pin from its channel, depress the grip safety, and insert the pin in the proper hole.

Here's a really nice page on the Centennial series of revolvers. http://finegunmaking.com/page35/page24/page24.html

Another one I truly want to get is an S&W Humpback, either a Model 38 (the airweight) or a Model 49.

lamarw

Mike, Thank you for the article. Without it, I would never of figured out what is described by several sources as a "grip safety wire".

I did find it and would consider it a pin vs. a wire. I doubt it has ever been removed from the revolver until today. It does its job when in its place to bypass the grip safety. After trying it out, I placed it my in its storage spot.

I also noticed the revolver serial number is stamped on the underside of the left grip. It does match the serial number off the frame butt.

Thanks again for your assistance. :)

Nice that the pin is still there! Even nicer that you've got the original grips.

If you want to use grips like Hogue monogrips (the rubber helps control the recoil) you'll need to pin the safety in the off position.