My journey to a mile.

6MT

I thought I'd document my journey to a mile with my new C-14 Timberwolf. First off, a big thank you to Steve from EM Precision for really encouraging me 3 years ago to get seriously into long range precision shooting. If it wasn't for him and his skills as a builder and teacher, I'm not sure I would have been able to do this.

First....the rifle. This is my second rifle from Ross at PGWdti. (My other is a Coyote in .308win.)

It is a C-14 Timberwolf in .338LM. The scope is a NF NXS 8-32x56 over a Spuhr +20moa mount. The bipod is by LRA, their F-class. (Although the lower picture shows a light tactical model to accomadate an LRF by SilencerCo.) And that brake is an EM Precision ShockWave installed by Steve.

DSCN9971.jpg

DSCN9891.jpg

So load development went well with me finding a sweet spot with 93.6 grains of Retumbo. The brass is Lapua, the primers Federal 215's, and the bullets are 300 grain SMK's. Then came the seating depth tests with three depths (.005", .010", .015"), with the .010" jump being the best. Easy. (BTW, all load/seating tests were done at 201 yards.)

So, onward and outward to a mile. Well there were a few problems along the way. When I decided to try the mile, I had just been out to a friend's place plinking to 1050 yards. The rifle (and me) were more than capable with me getting bored quickly and not wasting much ammo. This made me want to try the mile the very next day.

The first problem was with iSnipe. Out beyond 1000m, it appeared to be "off". It got worse the further out I went. Frustrated, I asked for help from a couple who enthusiastically helped me with spotting. (Thank you Rob and Barb!) I was on steel at 1500m in four shots. Again, the math did not jive with iSnipe. At that distance, I was over 4moa high. Oh well, now on to the mile.

After three shots to make adjustments, with help from Barb, I managed my first hit at a mile! I gave Mr Smiley Face a new nose...

image.jpg

Not a bad shot. I followed this up with two more hits at the mile and eight at 1500m. I was pumped. But the damn math was puzzling. Thinking about it on the way home, I decided to try Applied Ballistics since I had that app on my iPad. After entering all of the data, I proceeded to roll up some fresh ammo for the following week.

BTW, here's me posing with my first hit. (Gratuitous, I know!)

Andy_Clark.jpg

A week later, I had AB working very close to what I had experienced a week earlier. I managed to walk the rifle out from 800m to 1500m. I then zeroed my scope at 1500m. (I know, a long way out to do that, but I had dead centre hits once I got it set.)

I tried a 5 shot string at the mile. The first three were nice hits. Then I guess I got excited and missed the fourth shot. Then the fifth, while still hitting the steel, went high left.

image.jpg

Oh, and I did paint over my previous week's hits before i started (you can just see the "make-up" that covered my original hits). Again, I gave Mr. Smiley Face another nose. And the two other shots were just over 4 inches. I know it's only a three shot group, but hey....I'm pretty new at this distance. The fifth shot can be seen high left on the gong.

The totals today were my best ever at this ELD. With 12 hits at 1500m and 8 hits at the mile. (I then rechecked my zero at 1000m and it was dead on.)

So I learned a great deal. Yes, I need much more practice. But it sure was a fun process. And I just may have a chance to extend things out beyond two miles in the fall....we'll see.

Technical info:

Powder: Retumbo 93.6 grains
Primer: Federal 215 magnum
Brass: Lapua
Bullet: Sierra Match King 300 grain
Headspace: 2.319"
Ogive length: 2.966" (.010" jump)
Trim length: 2.714"
Velocity: 2805fps S.D.= 8 (Stays supersonic just past 1900m)

50 shooter

I like you got tired of shooting targets at the range from 100-600 yards and wanted to send lead out far.

So I bought a .50 and went to the desert when I could to shoot it, then met up with some like minded people that were into .50's also. For the most part of the time we would all meet up at the range and shoot together.

At one of our shoots someone had brought up shooting at a different range that went out to 1000 yards or more. I told them that the place that I shoot at in the desert, you could set up and shoot targets out to 2000+ yards. That set the stage for some of our best shoots, targets were placed at 500 and went all the way out to 2000 yards.

Shooting in the desert is always better than shooting at any range, plus we would throw out challenges to see who could hit a certain target first, multiple targets.... Then there's all the other stuff that guys would bring out to play with. Bowling ball mortars are always fun to watch, especially when guys get creative with them.

Anyway, if you have the range try staggering the targets as far as you can. That way you'll have real time results for your rifle that you can access any time you go shooting.

6MT

That sounds fun! Up here, I have a friend who farms. He has a 300 yard sight-in range in his front yard. One field over, he has a range that is very target rich with assorted steel. It has targets as close as 215 yards and as far as 1050 yards. The next field over, he has a range out to 2700 yards. Not quite two miles, but pretty far in itself. I hope to try the extreme long range in the fall.

Last edited:

flashhole

Very nice. If you don't mind me asking. How much did that rig set you back? I've been considering jumping into long range shooting myself.

tobnpr

Damn....Nice stick. Never seen one here (are they sold in the U.S.)?

The Radius is icing on the cake!

I'm trying to figure out how you're able to zero the scope at 1,760 with that scope and "just" a 20 minute mount? I'm getting nearly 70 minutes drop based on the info you provided with JBM unless my fat fingers typed in something incorrect?

The NF has 65 total, ÷2 =33, plus the 20 from the mount gives you 53 available. Been a long week, what did I get wrong?

O4L

Very nice rig and great shooting!

I've always wanted to try my hand at long range shooting but my wallet just never let me get past a few hundred yards.

I bought a 300 WM once to try and get out to 1000 yards but my buddy sold the land we were building the range on before I got to try it.

6MT

There's 25 minutes in the rail too. The scope is bottomed out at 300 yards (that's my starting zero). There's plenty of elevation in the scope to shoot well beyond a mile. This scope has 90 minutes elevation (it's a benchrest model). So 90+20+25 gives me 135 minutes of elevation after 300 yards.
The kicker was load development at 201 yards. My aimpoint was about 4 to 5 inches low.

Last edited:

6MT

This is in Canadian dollars...so don't pass-out. The rifle, bipod, mount, and scope set me back $10500.

TXAZ

About $8300 US.
If you look at what the guys that are shooting serious competition at similar distances, that's not bad.

6MT

Ok, that makes me feel better. Although, my kids keep asking me why I'm spending their inheritance.

flashhole

Thanks for the cost breakdown. Not far from what I was estimating cost to be. Is that a range finder mounted to the side?