My impressions on the new Kahr P40

Onslaught

As some of you may know, I've been a Kahr owner, supporter, and frequent "suggester" for some time now. Not TOO long ago, I sold a perfectly functioning, seldom used, excellent condition Kahr MK40, because I wanted the new Polymer Kahr, the P9. Well, as many a post have suggested, I had some consistent problems with my P9, but Kahr was always willing to try and fix it. Well, on the third trip back, Kahr replaced my P9 with a brand new one. It arrived Monday at my favorite FFL dealer's shop. When I went in to pick it up yesterday, I saw that he had a P40 in the case. Well, my brain started turning, and I realized that the P9 he had for me was BRAND new, and since I hadn't taken posession of it or filled out "the paperwork", it was still in "unsold" condition. So we talked, and worked out a sweet little swap that was to our mutual satisfaction. I now have my favorite style, length, width, height and feel of pistol in my personal favorite caliber!!!

I grabbed a hundred rounds and headed for the range. Just for extra fun, I rented a well used Glock 27 with the finger extension for comparison....

Now, I am NOT going to make any remarks towards the reliability of my new pistol until it's fired 200 rounds, but I will tell you this... It does NOT kick nearly as much as I thought it would!! It had slightly less muzzle flip than the 27, about the same amount of felt recoil, and accuracy was TIGHT indeed! I was very impressed, as my groups were even better than with the P9!! I don't think comparing the 27's accuracy would be fair, as it was a rental gun and the barrel is probably not in the best shape... and because there's just SOMETHING about that funky hump on the backstrap of the Glock that I just doesn't feel right, but MAN was I looking good in front of all the other guys with my new pistol!

After I've made a couple more trips, if you guys are interested, I'll let you know if it's going to be a reliable shooter. For the record though, I had no premature slide lockbacks, no jams or failures to feed, and no failures to engage the striker.

Thanks for stopping in, and good luck! ;)

buzz_knox

As a fan of both Kahrs and the Glock 27, I may have to pick one up for the days when the Glock is too chunky to carry.

Bullitt

Onslaught,

I wish you the best of luck with yours. I had similar results during my 200 rd break in period. The gun is an impressive shooter and the accuracy amazed me. I hope they worked out the kinks, because in my opinion the P 40 is the ultimate conceal carry concept, but the engineering suffers.

I'm still waiting for Kahr to contact me as to my P 40's progress. I'll keep you posted. Happy shooting!

unbeknownst

In response to the older thread, about Kahr problems... I had contacted the Kahr rep. from this board inquiring about the newer slide release lever that one member had sent to him. I also got a response, that she would send me out a new lever, to my suprise. It came in the mail today. You can actually see the difference on the Kahr site, the lever on the P40 picture vs. the picture of the P40 compact. The lever isnt any narrower, but I will see if it is any better. Just wanted to let others know... maybe you can get a redesigned one too for the P9 or P40.