My gunsmith accepting new work in Oklahoma City

Jeff OTMG

I just wanted to announce that my gumsmith in OKC will be accepting, at first, additional walk in work from Oklahoma. Todd McCutchen is his name and I have used him since 1989. To give you an idea of how good he is, Todd had 7 1911's finish in the top 25 at Camp Perry in 1991. He had been smithing for a good ten years before that. He was recently offered a job with Bill Laughridge at Cylinder and Slide, but decided against it, so is taking on a little more work on his own. He attended gunsmithing school with Mike Eagleshield, who is the head of the shop for CZ USA. He has always been picky about who he smithed for, working primarily on LEO guns and a few other shooters who knew what they wanted. He has gotten tired of the bullseys guys who demand perfection, but don't appreciate it when they get it and as a result he finds himself with more time. Eventually he will probably accept work outside OKC.

He does not work on Ruger centerfire autos nor on S&W centerfire autos.

He does great actions on S&W, Colt, and Ruger revolvers, in fact he is known as doing the best S&W Centennial actions around, though he charges 50% more for a Centennial over a regular J-frame. Some have commented that his DA Ruger action is the slickest revolver action that they have ever felt. He can time S&W revolvers to you specs. He has a way he likes to do it, but I prefer to be able to index the cylinder completely before finishing the pull, as is found on a Ruger, and he accomodates my wishes. He can also speed up the action on a S&W revolver though it necessitates loss of DA capability.

His Browning HP work is great. Austin Behlert told him that what he did was impossible when Todd did a sub 3 lb trigger on one of my Browning HP's. It was a GP Comp with the altered trigger bar geometry that allows an immediate drop of 1-1.5 pounds off the trigger pull. He has just completed the mod on my Browning HP Practical in .40 S&W.

He is familiar with the CZ and can do a great DA, though more popular is a SA only conversion using a Dlask or CZ SA trigger as was done to mine.

Todd is one of about 8 people in the U.S. who was given a gunsmithing seminar by Wilhelm Bubits on the Steyr M and S series guns. He is able to smooth the action and alter the pull weight of the trigger.

He works on Ruger MkII pistols and is able to tighten groups and improve the action. He also does custom built 10/22 and 10/22 clone rifles. He will do action work on Ruger SA's revolvers as well.

He is able to slick SIG actions and installs short triggers.

If you are in Oklahoma and are interested in some quality work contact Todd. 405-858-0626 He usually answers the phone on Weds and Thurs during the day and evenings other days. He doesn't have a phone out in the shop so leave a message if you call during a weekday.

BobR

Thats about the way it goes, looked all over OK for a smith, then gave up and moved to WA state..now looking for another one here.
bob

Jeff OTMG

I don't know any in Washington, but there are a couple in Oklahoma. Nowlin has a custom house in Claremore and Royce Wedle is in Norman. The only problem with Royce is the cost and time involved. Todd works cheaper and now that he has dropped a bunch of clients time is not a big issue.