My Great Grandfather’s pistol.

ronc0011

My Dad dug this pistol out of the closet. He tells me that his Grandfather gave it to him when he was a boy. My Dad is thinking that the pistol was bought before he was born ( my Dad is 76 ). Anyway the pistol seems to be in amazingly good condition. I’m not sure how to track down the serial number to see if I can put a date with it so I thought I would put it up here and see if any of you guys might be able to help with this.

Web_HR_full_L.jpg

Web_HR_frame.jpg

This reads H&R INC. Gardner, Mass. U.S.A.
Web_HR_frame_stamp.jpg

Web_HR_full_expl.jpg

Web_HR_barrel.jpg

I beleive this is the serial # A083334
Web_HR_serial.jpg

shepherddogs

I can't remember where I saw the serial # chart but I seem to recall my H&R begins with the letter W and that put it around 1964. The prefixes go A-Z and the start AA, AB etc. There is a chart somewhere on the web that shows this.

Jim March

H&R revolvers were sort of the "Taurus" level of quality for their day, but to be honest I would rate them as often better functionality than a modern Taurus...esp. the rimfire variants.

One thing you want to check is, does this one have a transfer bar safety in it or not? They transitioned to full safeties around that time.

ronc0011

Yes it does have the transfer bar.

I’m looking forward to taking this pistol and a couple of bricks out to the range. We have a range close to us that has a pulley system setup for the pistol targets which works really well for practicing “Point and Shoot”. I’ve been getting pretty good on that with my 1911 but it is expensive. Can generally hold about a 5 or 6 inch group at about 40 feet. I started at about 6 or 8 feet. It would sure be nice to be able to shoot for a couple of hours at a time for $20 or $30.

ronc0011

Yes I must say when my Dad showed it to me I started looking at it and the more I looked at it the more I was intrigued with it. It really is in incredibly good condition. The shroud that holds the ejector rod has just a little pitting on it but the rest of the gun looks almost new.

dogngun

The H&R 949 sold in 1983 for $110 in blue.
A lot of older H&R's are being inherited or discovered in the attic lately, many still fine shooters. They did not have the style or collector appeal of Colts or Smiths, but they are good shooters and served their owners well for decades.
They are still around to serve another generation.
For collectors information, look for the H&R forum here:
www.armscollectors.com/faq.htm

This is THE BEST H&R site there is, and I'm sure they can give you the answers you want.
FWIW, that is the cleanest post war H&R I have ever seen.

mark

shepherddogs

My H&R is actually a Z prefix and I believe it was made in 63 or 64. If it was 64 then AA would be 65, AB 66 and so on. MY H&R is much more accurate than my wifes new Ruger Single Six. I'd take it over 2 Rugers.

Jim March

One neat thing about these is that they have the handling and "feel" of a single action gun, but a DA/SA trigger.

That makes them a decent "practice stand-in with cheap ammo" for both SA and DA centerfire guns.

jamesjo

roncoo11,
Greeetings,
FYI the 949 shown in pic with the AT prefix of serial # = 1979 manufacture. Nope it's no antique, but still a well built H&R!! enjoy.
Jim

ronc0011

Greeetings,
FYI the 949 shown in pic with the AT prefix of serial # = 1979 manufacture. Nope it's no antique, but still a well built H&R!! enjoy.

That’s interesting. Well I think I may just keep that to myself. If my Dad remembers it that way, that’s OK with me.

Still, thanks for the info.

jamesjo

Glad to help.
Yes, you should respect your dad's memories by all means. Just know that it is a quality piece. H&R's are actually very well made pieces, especially the higher end pieces like the Sportsman , 949's. 686's and several others, No they are not Colts or S$ W's but for the mid range price, they were excellent pieces!!

dispatcher

H&Rs .22s are great revolvers. Shoot, shoot, and shoot, and then shoot some more. They are fun and good for introducing young shooters to revolers. Your's looks like a really nice specimen.

B.N.Real

Please do NOT correct your Pop on this.

He may have mistaken it for another gun that all these years later looked EXACTLY to him like the one his Pappy gave him.

They are fine usable quality handguns.

The fact that it is so well preserved (even though it is not especially old) is just a plus.

JustKev55

I agree

I definately agree, don't correct your Dad on how he remembers this revolver. At his age, it's more important to treasure your time with him. Having lost my dad when he was 76 I'd give everything I own back just to get more time with him.