:( My Gen. 4 Glock 22 EXPLODED at the range today!!!

Will Beararms

......well there were 200 controlled explosions. :D 'Ran through 100 rounds of Wall of China Mart Remington UMC 180 Grain JHP and 100 rounds of Federal 180 grain FMJ. The weapon was flawless. The trigger is the best I have ever used on a Glock. Recoil has gone from snappy to what I call a little bit of a jolt and is more rearward versus the outright flip I had on my Gen. 2 22. After 14 rounds of JHP Remington and some flyers, I started setting down accuracy wise. I had several three to five shot strings touching each other. Ranges were 7, 10 and 15 yards. I still have some work to do and trigger time to get the 15 yard plus groupings like I like them. The trigger reset is crisp and very predictable. Once I got that down, the groups really got tight. Only 200 rounds today but so far it was your typical boringly reliable Glock.

And oh yeah......ejection was superb. It is a serious hull slinger ----- all casings went right where you want them to the same place every time and with a vengeance.

Last edited:

5RWill

Indeed it was misleading.

Just picked up a Gen 4 21 this previous friday i've already ran through 100rds of ammo. Gotta change out to trijicon night sights and it will be good to go. I've shot the 22 and found it to be snappy, though this was before i was properly gripping a handgun. I'll have to look at my friends next time we shoot. Love the fact it comes with 3 mags.

Will Beararms

I know with all the hullabaloo about Gen. 4's, you know there will those saying to themselves; "Uh hmm....I told ya so.";)

Prior to the Gen. 4's, my .40 Glock of choice was the 23. I shoot this one as good as I did the 23. I believe it is because I can get a better purchase on the weapon.

dlb0412

Im glad to hear that. I got me a gen 4 17 a couple weeks ago 600 rounds and not a single problem i love it. I did hand rack the slide 800 times to break it in before i shot it. I was nervous geting a gen 4 9mm from all the bad press on the internet. I guess glock fixed the recoil spring issue the 9mms had. I havent heard anthing bad about the .40s i guess they were good from the start. Happy shooting and keep giving us range reports.

Will Beararms

The Gen. 4's are definitely sprung tighter. The mags are tight as they always are. It is similar in once respect to all Glocks I have been around. 200 rounds and it still looks brand new.

I taught my 12 year old son how to anticipate the trigger reset and then fire again. He was cranking out 1" and under groups of 5 shots at 7 to 10 yards. The recoil did not bother him at all.

Mrgunsngear

DSC01237.jpg

My Gen4 22 has been flawless through 750 rounds so far. When I hit 1K I'm going to do a full write-up review. Congrats on yours; it is a great gun :D

NWPilgrim

plouffedaddy,

is your G22 reliable with the Streamlight? I had heard any light other than the Glock light could cause problems in cycling properly. I got the Glock light to play it safe (and it has had zero issues), but would like to hear your experience.

5RWill

Anyone else have a little beef with the fact it has a plastic guide rod? I would just prefer steel. This is my first glock so i don't know if it's always been done that way.

5RWill

When it breaks i think i'll replace it ;) though that sounds contradicting, whatever Glocks been doing has worked from day one, so like it or not i have to put a little faith in it. I also have a big feeling trying to take that spring off of the guide rod and put it on another would be a PITA

NWPilgrim

Glocks have always had plastic guide rods. I have personally never had a broken one on any of my Glocks after thousands of rounds. I did see a video of a Glock plastic guide rod break right where the flange is and the rod went shooting out the front. But the pistol still continued to cycle fine.

Plus, they are so inexpensive I have a few stocked just in case, but they have been gathering dust for some years now.

IMightBeWrong

NWPilgrim,

I saw that too. It was during a torture test of a Glock 19 in which the people testing it were firing 1,000 rounds through it as fast as they could. After around 800 rounds the guide rod had melted down from all the heat and flew out, but the spring was still in the gun and doing fine so they finished up the test. Pretty sweet.

Brit

Me to! Thought Glock Kaboom. Reference the Plastic bits, plastic (Polymer) is their game, go with the bits that come with it.

Venom1956

I hear in fixing the G22 they messed up the G17...

I've shot 2 gen3 17s and 1 gen4... The gen4 was exchanged to a gen3 after two range trips. something about that dual recoil rod made it more of a chore to shoot then any gen3 I've fired. I'd like to compare a gen4 G22 to a gen3 see if it was improved. They really missed the boat on the backstraps... needed a flat one what a waste.

Mrgunsngear

On the subject of plastic guide rods, Glock now puts a new chemical in there to raise the melt temperature to ensure they won't bind up during high fire sessions. I can't remember the name of but it may be zytel (don't quote me on that one...). You can tell if yours has it by looking at the end of it. If it has a "I" under the number marking then it's got the new chemical in it. That said, if you're not firing 1000 rounds in 2 minutes you won't have a problem :D

To the light issue---I went through the Police Academy with the G22s that had the light issues so I'm a nazi about this issue because it freaks me out :eek: I literally won't shoot my G22s without a gun light just to insure the problem is fixed...
Glock added the #9 follower and an extra coil in the mag (now the 40 cal mags have 11 coils). I've never seen an issue on the guns with these mags; neither on the Gen3 or Gen4 22s. The mags should be marked as well (see picture) on the Gen3 22s. The Gen4s never had the issue so the mags aren't marked.
IMAG0887.jpg

IMAG0879.jpg

Will Beararms

I clicked on this thread hoping to see twisted metal and carnage.

I feel like I've been bamboozled

I know. I know. I normally do my best to keep the antics to a bare minimum. I don't even participate in caliber wars anymore.