My Garand...shooting too much?

chris in va

I have a 1945 SA CMP Garand that I got last May. So far it's had about 700 rounds through it.

Will it hurt anything to put so many downrange? Love shooting it, but hate to think I may be wearing it out.

kenno

Well if the barrels are anything like the 1903A3 barrels they are good for a mere 10,000 rounds so I think it's gonna out last your sorry ash@, mate!
my source for info on that is Gunsmithing Simplyfied.

overland

Shoot it. You can get every possible replacement part for when it gets worn out. There's no shortage of Garands. You can always order a couple more too.

pstrlipscomb

I bought a box of ammunition yesterday, but every cartridge that goes into my gun comes out empty! Should I stop using them?!:p

Guns were built to shoot; that's why they make replacement parts. Besides, it is easier to justify all the fancy aftermarket doo-dads if you explain to your wife that your gun is broke!

Willie Lowman

So far it's had about 700 rounds through it.

Stop right now! The Garand was not designed to withstand the wear and tear of any more than 800 rounds.

Send it to me and I will make sure it gets the care that it needs.

kraigwy

Garands like most military rifles are ruined by improper cleaning, not shooting.

If you shoot ammo designed for the Garand (another topic), keep it lubed it will take dern near forever to shoot it out.

I got my CMP (then DCM) Garand in 1981 or so. I've been shooting it quite a bit since. I use to run sniper schools for the NG when we used M1C/Ds. During the schools, many times I've shot my Garand until the sap boiled out of the handguard.

I checked the Muzzle and it measures just a hair short of "2". The Chamber gages measures right at "8". According to many it should be shot out. Below is a target I've shot reciently. I shot it from the prone positition, no support other then the sling. As you can see, if I'd came right one click, and up a click, and tightened up my position a tad, I would have cleaned the target. This is the 100 yard reduced 200 yard GSM target.

What ruins Garands (and other military rifles) is cleaning from the muzzle with a jointed cleaning rod, or coated cleaning rods. The coated rods get grit and carbon imbedded in the coating which makes it like a file.

On any rifle I only use one piece stainless rods. For rifles that require cleaning from the bore, I only use bore snakes.

Shoot the rifle as much as you want. You wont hurt it, I bet our fathers during WWII and Korea fire a bit more then 700 rounds.

M1%20Target.JPG

chris in va

You guys crack me up. :D And thanks, I feel better.

BTW I asked this because it is a 66 year old semiauto and...oh nevermind, going to the range.

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
Got mine last fall, made in Springfield Armory in June 1941. I'm starting on my 5th battle pack of 7.62X51 Nato ammo (200 rounds each). Lord only knows how many rounds it had through it before I got my hands on it. Doesn't seem to be bothered much by shooting. These are my last two offhand targets. Take that little darling out for as much fresh air and exercise as you can stand. It will do both of you a world of good.

scan1103211554.th.png
[/URL] [/IMG]

By the way, my gun and I are both older than your gun. 66 years indeed.

chris in va

My GF finally decided to join me on a range trip. She's really good with firearms, competing with me in IDPA and all, but I was shocked...SHOCKED how well she hit with the Garand today.

She wanted to "try out the big gun" so I did the usual thing, load it and set it on the rest. That went alright, no problems. My jaw about hit the floor though when she stood up, picked up this beast of a gun and proceeded to nail a 4' tall object at 330 yards...repeatedly.:eek::eek:

I'm not talking just one or two clips here. We blew through about 9 clips of my reloaded ammo this afternoon. Just when I thought she was "stick a fork in me, I'm done"...done...she wanted to squeeze in another clip before cold was called.

No sore shoulder, no complaining it was too heavy. Just "this thing is easy to shoot!".

chris: You are lucky to have a lady who is interested in Any shooting. Superb shooting on her part.

kraigwy: It is very rewarding as a novice-especially middle-aged:eek:- to be around somebody who sometimes runs a Garand class.
A retired Marine here at MSSA (Memphis) does so, and today gave me my very first instruction on the prone and sitting basics.
It was awkward and time-consuming with the tight sling attached, to load single rounds into the "sled" clip, but avoided "Garand thumb".

He also told me to Not seat protruding bullets in the clips by knocking the tips into the wooden bench. Too much risk of higher chamber pressures.
My ('55) CMP Garand still has a few sets of tiny holes in the stock from a former owner (soldier?) doing so.

Last edited:

chris in va

My ('55) CMP Garand still has a few sets of tiny holes in the stock from a former owner (soldier?) doing so.

Oh wow...is that why my stock has all those holes? I had no idea! The whole right side is nothing but divots.

Ivan

If you are match shooting, I would figure a barrel life of 3000-5000 rounds. If you are just plinking, who knows? It really depends on how fast you shoot and how hot you get the barrel.

- Ivan.

Avenger

If you feel the need to "seat" rounds in the clip, hold it in your hand and tap the base briskly against the heel of your other hand. But I doubt it actually does anything when you aren't taking cover on a sandy Pacific beach...