My Garand is arriving tomorrow morning!!

WesM

Sorry, I'm so excited I'm posting it all over the web. My first Garand, a CMP Springfield Service Grade, 5.8 million Serial No.

Told my boss I would be late to work tomorrow. :D

PS it took the CMP less than 1 month from receiving my paperwork and order to ship. Looks like the long waiting is over??

WesM

Thanks!

Don't worry, I got about 900 rounds of Greek HXP and Lake City that I stocked up on last year before I could make the gun purchase. I will probably look into buying an adjustable gas plug, but not install it till I need it, if ever.

DE Shooter

MINE.......to shoot

My nephew rcvd this CMP Garand shortly bfore he shipped out to his first duty station. He told me if I cleaned it, I could shoot it....till he wants it back. I finally got to the range last month with about 40rounds of 1947 vintage Lake City Ball M2. My last 5 shot group at 100 yards came in at 1.5 inches!!! These are amazing shooters...I can't wait for the next CMP shoot. Good luck with yours...look out for corrosive ammo...have fun cleaning.:)

Attachments

• garand.jpg
    garand.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 108
  • garand 5 at 100yd.jpg
    garand 5 at 100yd.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 88

GregM

You know that garands are addicting right? I started out with 1 in July 2008, I now have 5, one of every US manufacturer plus a second H&R. Check out the CMP forum if you haven't. there's a lot of knowledge over there.

GregM

WesM

Well it was supposed to get here by 10:30 and it's 3 hours late right now...

I am taking personal leave off of work to wait for this thing...

The wait now since it shipped seems longer than the wait since I placed my order. :(

WesM

Just arrived a few minutes ago... Here are the PICS

100_0762.jpg

100_0763.jpg

100_0764.jpg

100_0760.jpg

All Springfield parts, my brother tells me the trigger group and hammer are WWII parts. Can't wait to shoot it!!

aarondhgraham

Congratulations,,,

Fortunately for me I have a friend who owns one of those big boys,,,
She will let me shoot it a coupla times a year,,,
That gets my M-1 Garand ya-ya's out,,,
Without having to spend money.

It's good to have friends,,,

Enjoy your new PlayToy,,,

Chaz88

I have thought about jumping on the M1 wagon. I think memories of drilling with lead filled M1's in boot camp have kept me away. Those things where heavy! Try holding one with both arms outstretched at shoulder height for about a half hour. Then do calisthenics with it.:eek:

DE Shooter

NICE....get cleaning!

WesM,
HAPPY DAYS! Hope you have as much fun learning about them and shooting them as I am...and I hope my nephew doesn't want his back soon. I will surely get my own sooner or later, though. He said he paid extra for his "service" grade and I've found various parts from all (4) manufacturers. It's tight mixed breed and it's a real shooter. GOOD LUCK. I read that South Korea is returning 80,000 Garands and 20,000 M1 carbines to the US this year. I hope CMP gets a large portion of them....or all!!!

Kal

chris in va

Very jealous. I've never shot one but there's just something about the history of those Garands. Right now all I have to watch WWII movies with is my Mosin, just not the same.:p

hodaka

The stock looks better than my Service Grade HRA with a new CMP birch stock that I got earlier this year. You are going to love it.

Congratulations!

az_imuth

WesM
Great looking rifle...congrats! That reminds me of the first SA service grade rifle I ordered. Turned out to be a fantastic shooter. Prepare yourself, these things are definatrely addictive. I ended up like GregM in that I now have one of each manufacturer plus a couple of extra HRA's.