My Four Fives.

FS2K

Well the Nighthawk turned out to be money well spent. I had waited for years to get me a customized 1911 and I am very pleased with my choice. The early model Sig P220 I just aquired has really proven to be a great shooter! Accurate, smooth and with a superb trigger the Sig has quickly become one of my all time favorite handguns. The Colt 1911 I built myself actually turned out to be pretty close to the Nighthawk in feel: a little rough around the edges but for the most part I think I did a pretty good job with it, especially the trigger. And what has all of this evaluation accomplished?

The XD-45 looks even worse in my eyes. Again, don't get me wrong, the XD-45 is a handsome looking gun, but it simply isn't even close to being in the same class as the rest. It's trigger is just sad. Slow/Long re-set, spongy feel, and way too much over-travel, the XD has the poorest trigger in my whole collection, riflrs included. The extra capacity the XD has pales in comparison to the virtues of the other guns, and I would FAR rather carry any of the other guns (Except for my home-brew 1911 that's set up for target shooting) regardless of the fact that they only hold 8 in the mag instead of 13.

Of my four .45's, my home-brew 1911 has turned out to be the most accurate, allot having to do with it's KART barrel I think. This both surprised and pleased me. I actually had something to do with why this gun shoots so well. Not so surprising the Nighthawk comes in a close 2nd with the Sig and XD both coming in 3rd as both guns shoot about the same accuracy wise.

The XD is the lightest by feel, even with a full magazine, but actually heavier than the SIG. It is also the one with the most recoil. The P220 is kind of a surprise. Even with it's light weight, the Sig does not have a harsh recoil at all.

Its not like the XD-45 doesn't have any virtues, it does carry a heck of allot of rounds for a .45 ACP in a frame that's thin like a 9mm.

If I take into consideration all of the Handguns I own my Glock G17 is still my favorite, and second place goes to the Sig P220. Yup, after some serious evaluation I've come to the conclusion that the Sig is an overall better choice than my Nighthawk which I would have guessed would have been the more liked of the two. Goes to show you that $$ doesn't always determine worth. At least she's (the Talon) one of the top 3.

Maybe a S&W 625 is in my future, but until that day this is the opinion on the .45's I own.