My first revolver

packa45

I've shot plenty in the past and always loved my dad's Ruger GP100 so today I found a used(in great shape) SP101 .357 spurless hammer for $299. Might not be the deal of the century but beat the $500 I was quoted on a SW. I've already ordered an IWB holster and Hogue rubber finger groove grips. I'm interested in smoothing out the trigger pull with a #9 spring but don't want to suffer reliability. What info do I need to know first and does anyone know of a good smith in TX? I travel the state for work and make my own schedule so they don't necessarily have to be in the Waco area. Also if you own this model and would like to post comments positive or negative I would like to hear them. I looked at some packages from Gemini customs and they look great but how can I justify spending twice the amount of the gun? Anyone had them work on their revolvers before?

symr00

Great chioice and a great price! I have the same model. For s/d carry, I would recommend nothing less than the 10lb mainspring. I polished all contact points in the trigger housing as well as the mainspring/hammer and it made a HUGE difference compared to the way it was when I first bought it.

22-rimfire

You statement about the Ruger SP101 trigger is exactly why I bought the S&W 442. Shoot it and it will loosen up. I have a 3" GP100 and it is much better than when I bought it. The trigger was never that bad but it has loosened up after shooting and dry firing.

packa45

Thanks for the comments. Does anyone have a recommendation on speedloaders. I've got an HKS on order and have used them with my dad's ruger but I was wondering if anyone has found something better. I picked up a box of .38+P 129gr Federal Premium HydraShok and a box of .357 158gr same brand.
It's already replaced my Springfield 1911 as the bedside piece. I figured a point and squeeze guarantee to go bang gun is better although the Springer is a reliable loaded ultra carry with night sights. I've got it loaded with the .38+P so if I do have to discharge indoors I might save some of my hearing.

tex45acp

packa45,

I have two SP-101's. The 2" double action only you have, and a 3" SD/DA. They are both fine shooters that are built like tanks. I have several thousand rounds through the 2" and it now belongs to my wife....:( . She confiscated it after a couple of range sessions and loves to shoot it. I just recently picked up the 3". I will be sending it off to Gemini for a partial fixup job costing about $250.00. I have done all the dehorning myself. I want a better trigger but don't want the porting. I do however want the beadblasted finish. Is his work worth the money.....yes. I have shot one of his 2" models and is slick as glass and a work of art. It is money well spent.

I too have the HKS speedloaders without any problems.

azredhawk44

I've got a 3" sp101 with a traditional hammer on it. Love the gun. If I had to get rid of all my handguns but one, this would be the keeper, more than likely. Once you put about 1000-1500 rounds through it, the trigger will be just fine.

I use maxfire speedloaders. I like them better than the HKS design... they aren't made of plastic so they can't break, and there are no tiny parts to them. I have one HKS for my redhawk, but I will probably get a couple of maxfires for it instead. Just slip the cartridges into the cylinders, then pull the speedloader sideways. After doing it at the range a dozen times, it's as easy as pie.

packa45

Thanks for the input guys. I love this gun already and won't be able to get to a range until next Sunday. That speedloader at brownells is exactly what I was looking for Dave, thanks. I will start searching for a model that is 5 round and works for the SP101. I think I will like the push button release as opposed to a turn. I will probably send it off to Gemini in a month or two Tex for similar work. I don't want the porting but would like the action tuned, bead blasted finish, crowned barrel, and possibly a tritium front sight. I love the heft and sturdiness of this revolver. Azredhawk-I've heard the trigger smooths out after some rounds but this is used and I have no idea how many rounds are through this gun. I'm not saying it's a bad trigger but just about any gun can be improved by a good smith so I will probably have some work done. I hope the 1911 doesn't become a safe queen but this revolver will now spend most of it's time on my belt.

packa45

Beautiful gun, that's for sure.

That it is and now that I've got the Hogue grips on it I love it even more. I'm surprised the cheap IWB Gunmate holster I bought is not that bad. Another question has arrived though. The nylon speed loader holster is way to bulky and if anyone has a model/brand that conceals better I would like to hear about it.

packa45

AZredhawk-don't have many occasions to wear a jacket here and especially not now. 105 today. I'm sure you can relate seeing your location. Had to research the speedstrip. Man I'm such a newbie when it comes to revolvers! That looks like a good option but without one to play with I'm clueless. Does it flex and then have a way to release the rounds or is it more of a manual process?

symr00- that looks promising but does it only work with the speedloaders they have for sale below? Doesn't really mention anything specific for 5-shot other than J frame. I'm using an HKS speedloader.

burnera

i picked up a ruger GP100 at a steal of a price. Mine is a 6" barrel. The gun is far more accurate than i currently am, but i'm catching up. I really love the feel of this gun. I'll eventually end up smoothing out the trigger pull and replace the springs.

here's mine:
(premptive: i know better than to mix liqour and guns)
0001798mx3.jpg

picked that up and 2 speed loaders for $260. :D