My First Revolver: I've Been Missing Some Fun

Bongo Boy

Of course I was sure post these pics at the Smith & Wesson Forum so you may have seen them--or of course you might not give a hoot. Either way, here it is. Been hankerin' for a revolver for about 4-5 months now, for the first time in about 50 years of shooting. I found The One a couple of weeks ago and was able to take 'er down in auction--a 629-4 Hunter II Lew Horton which near as I can tell might be ca 1996 manufacture.

This is how she looked when it first arrived:

I've pulled those grips off and stuck 'em deep in a drawer, and have these G10s on it now:

Only about 50 rounds through it so far but I am indeed in love with shooting it. Near as I can tell it had never been fired at all, but that is about to seriously change as the old casting pot gets warmed up this weekend. A 1000 Starline cases are making their way through the sizing/priming stations and I expect many of them will continue to get charged with about 12.8gr 800X and the 240gr SWC bullets as shown in the photo above.

I always wondered 'why would anyone want a revolver'. Question answered!

dahermit

I always wondered 'why would anyone want a revolver'. Question answered!
So many today seem not to understand the answer to that question. A gun need not be for house defense, concealed carry, hunting (although that would make an excellent hunting gun), hiking, etc. Some us have come to realize that there is a very important category called: Just for fun. And more often than not, its a revolver. You are one of the lucky ones who have found that out. Enjoy your big, unique boomer.

Sevens

That is one fine looking and limited production revolver. Both sets of stocks are also quite attractive to my eyes. I will say however that the black replacement set screams one thing out to me: "OPEN BACK STRAP!"

As I have slightly larger than average hands, I can make use of a grip or stocks that also increase my reach to the trigger (I realize some cannot) but that open back strap just looks like it is going to impart a physical pounding no matter the intensity of the handload.

Just my preference, I'd want some gushy rubber soaking up the hit in that spot.

But definitely a gorgeous specimen. Sure would be a blast to sit in on some of the Lew Horton idea committees, no? :D

Bongo Boy

They are small grips, for sure, even for me. I'd prefer something thicker side-to-side, but front-to-rear is okay (evaluating only on size, now). What I do like about the size is that I can make better use of my weak hand, which has proven to have a very important role shooting this one ;)

Anyway, thanks to all for the kind comments--I'll pound through a box of heavier loads next time at the range and let you know how the girlie grips work out for me. If there's any tissue damage involved I'll be sure to post pics.

osbornk

I always wondered 'why would anyone want a revolver'.

My first handgun was a "budget" semi-automatic 9 mm and I with a "budget" 22 semi-automatic. They have always been both reliable and accurate. I wondered if I was missing something and followed those with a "budget" 22 "cowboy" revolver. I recently updated my "budget" 9mm with a S & W SD9VE. Since I no longer needed my first semi-automatic, I traded it to my neighbor for a very old Taurus 80 38 special.

I much prefer shooting the revolvers and find myself more accurate with them when I shoot them single action. It's also cheaper because of how long it takes to reload far fewer bullets. You tend to be more careful with your shots.

I carry a semi-automatic but there is just something about a larger and heavier old or old design revolver that you can't duplicate with a modern design.

I guess the cowboy shoes growing up in the 50s and 60s, the detective shows of the 60s and Dirty Harry movies had a lot of influence on me. I also bought a Henry Lever Action rifle to remind me of cowboys.

SaxonPig

Fifty years without ever owning a revolver. How is that even possible?

Now you need to try owning something classic. Like this...

standard.jpg

Or this...

standard.jpg

osbornk

Sweet! Good luck finding an IWB holster.

Hiding a big revolver is like hiding a 9 month pregnancy. You're proud and show it. When you're fortunate enough to live in an open carry state, there is just something special about a big revolver on your hip.

Bongo Boy

Yup. You git you one of these then stop in at the local brewpub for a burger and a beer. Hopefully stinking of cow dung and after-shave.