My first reload

Kendo

Barnes 50 gr varmint grenade over 19.2gr of RL10X [min. load] for my Rock River AR in .223. Hopefully it'll be a good coyote round. What do ya'll think?

TimT

I think they shoot pretty well out of my RRA, but I haven't shot any coyotes with them. I did shoot a water filled plastic bottle, and had some fragments left in it though.

zippy13

It's my understanding that the common Rock River AR variations have 1:9, or tighter twists. Typically, these fast twists are best suited bullets in the range of 70 grains and more.

Back in late February, member 4sarge reported the 50 Gr Barnes Varmint Grenades were key-holing with his 1:9 barrel. Although the Varmint Grenade data were developed with a 1:12 barrel, the Barnes reloading chart recommends the 50-grain VGs be shot in a 1:10 or faster twist. Confusing, to say the least, for a first time (or average) reloader; but, you selected the correct starting load.

My gut feeling is that you'll be over spinning the VGs and I'm concerned that you'll have problems like 4sarge experienced. With the Rem. .223, not only do you need to follow the loading data, you need to be aware of the consequences of the various twist rates available. As the Barnes chart says, Many different rifling twists are available in this chambering. It’s important to know your rifle’s twist rate before selecting a bullet.

Sevens

Here's a question that's somewhat related:

If you are choosing a varmint load in .223 to be shot out of a 14-inch Contender, and you have these two bullets to work with, which do you choose and why? And is there a reason one is better than the other for one task, and the other better for another task if we can assume that BOTH shoot accurately?

I have 40 grain Hornady V-Max and 60 grain Hornady V-Max.

Is there a prairie dog or chuck that is going to notice the difference in bullet weight at 100-200 yards? Especially when you consider that it's going to erupt as soon as it hits anyway?

I've got almost zero experience hunting.

TimT

Mine is a 1:9 twist, and while I haven't shot thousands of them, I've shot a box worth or so, and haven't seen any keyholing yet.

One thing to note about the VG is their length. They are really long for their weight, which is the rationale for the fast twist rate needed. I was told, and believe it to be true, that it is the bullet's length, and not weight, that is best for determining twist rate. Is this not true? If it's not, could someone please explain it to me?

I've called Barnes in the past - they were quite helpful. If anyone is confused by their data, I'm sure they would clear things up.

Kendo

Zippy

Well.. I understood to not exceed about 50gr because my twist rate IS 1 in 9. I actualy wanted a heavier bullet but the folks I talked to and the things I've read all say my barrel may not stabilize anything heavier. I have not read sarges post though. I'm gonna go look for it now.:confused: