My First Lever Gun

Ranger325

Just picked up my first lever gun last night - Rossi in .45LC. I plan to get out to the range this weekend to give it a try.

Here's my question - Should I be concerned about the saddle ring wearing the blue on the receiver? (from 'jingling' around) Can you wrap it to prevent the wear? Or am i just obsessing over something that doesn't matter? ;)

Thanks for you input!!!

Regards,

L_Killkenny

Yes, you are obsessing. We all do with new guns (or cars, boats, etc) when they are new to us.You'll get over it. I'm thinkin about adding a saddle ring to mine just for the heck of it. Have fun with it, I'm betting you're gonna like it a ton!! Nice buy.

Last edited:

OLNfan

Great suggestions, the leather saddle ring sounds awesome. I see where your coming from. I have seen wear and tear on some rifles that are atleast 10+years from a saddle ring. In theory you have a alot of options but the only good looking ones would be the leather way. You could just make a full leather pocket for the saddle ring go crazy and make a hole hole through it so you can still use it or keep it closed up either way. also if you just make a leather type knot (something easy, pretty.) Like this

http://www.collectorebooks.com/gregg01/winchester/DSC01411.jpg

(not the prettyest knot but it will work, you can see some slight scratches but its possible it wasnt from the saddle ring. These are just suggestions I only own 1 lever firearm and it doenst have a saddle ring. (45-70 lever action marlin)

Last edited:

PetahW

Get a 6" section of leather shoelace, double it into a loop, and stick the looped end barely through the ring.
Thread the two loose ends through the loop, and pull it snug.
With the ring downward, trim the loose ends at an angle to a pleasing uneven length, and you'll be good to go - since the lace wrapped around the ring will keep it off the action side and stop the rattling noise.

Ranger325

Thanks for the input - I did think about the leather lace option. i think I'll play around with it a bit.

FWIW, my new Rossi is actually a Buchanan Mare's Leg. Surely different, but I really like it - now I need to see how it shoots. Since it's a classified as a pistol, maybe I should be in the forum up the list........;)

Mare2.jpg

Regards,