My first large caliber rifle. Mosin Nagant! :D

capflyboy05

I know some of you are thinking this is too much of a step.
I've shot many rifles, and have always wanted a Mosin Nagant.
I do realise that it packs quite a punch.
But I dont flinch for any caliber of rifle. (That I've shot.... up to 300 Win Mag)

Anywho, I got her for $100 ($105 with tax.)
She came with a bayonet, two ammo pouches, a sling, and some other pouch.
Oh, and some metal thingy. I think it was an oil flask.
She was made in 1943 in Russia.
I cant wait to take her to the range!! :D :D :D
I'll post some pics soon!!!
I'm crazy excited about this new gun.

The Book

Think that is the model that was used for the movie Enemy at The Gate. They claim they are and excellent sniper rifle. Congrats on the new toy and fire away:)

the rifleer

I went from a .22 to a M44 mosin nagant when I was 14 years old. I wanted a high powered rifle and I had to pay for it and thats the only thing that was in my price range. I paid $75 and I love it.

capflyboy05

I'm 18, and did the same thing.
I mean, as I said, I shot other rifles, but only own a .22 and the Mosin.
How can I identify what variant I have?

Heres some pics. :)

Attachments

• 100_3724.jpg
    100_3724.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 100_3726.jpg
    100_3726.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 125

Silent Titan

great rifles, i have two of them. as to figuring out what type you have, when and where it was made involves looking at the features of the gun and the manufacturer marks on the gun to get a time frame for when/who built the rifle. my guess is its a m91/30. this site is an ok place to start looking: http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM.htm

rifleman8

Idk if you already know this, but in your pics the bayonet isn't on all the way; push it past the front sight post and twist. Congrats on the purchase! I'm a year older than you, and like you, my mosin was the first large caliber rifle I bought. They are awesome weapons with a ton of history behind them.

capflyboy05

I do realise that. Thanks man.
It's hell to get that thing on and off. lol.
I figured for the pic I'd just let it rest on there.

capflyboy05

For those of you who own one, whats the furthest shot you've made with your Mosin Nagant? I know they shoot about 3 in, groupings at 100 yds....
Anybody made a 650 yd shot? I've read thats their max. effective range.
But the total maximum range is 2200 yards.
I feel like this could shoot out to 1200 yds, no problems....

Eghad

Got mine for a whole $69.95 good rifle. Got a M44 for a whole $59.95. Great rifles if you don't have a lot of cash and need a place to start.

Ideal Tool

Hello, about that bayonet being hard to get on and off...The Russian regulations were to have them mounted on rifle at all times..There were no scabards issued..That must have been ticklish when you and your komrads were crammed into a boxcar! My dad bought a M91/30 at a garage sale in the late 60's for $17.00! Using a 1/2" thick steel plate, I drilled and reamed as many 5/16" holes as I could. Poured melted wax into holes & scraped flush with paint scraper...used these primer powered "bullets" in basement for winter fun..quite accurate across room. That summer, we had pigeons up in barn, I wanted to use pellet gun on them..dad said not to..didn't want any holes thru roof..What to do? Got the o'l Mosin out & WAXED em'!

9-ball

capflyboy05,

I know the sights are marked till 2000 meters, but on that range, the bullet won't be of much use. In fact, you have to take in account that these rifles were first made for WWI era trenched warfare engagements, they seldom were shot further then 300 meters.

In WWII however, battles (especially on the eastern front) were more urban, so bolt action rifles were not of much use, except to snipers, which Soviets used to great extent. The mosin-nagants were test-shot at the factories, and the best got selected for snipers. After selection the rifles received some polishing (especially on the trigger) and were sent to sniper units.

Now you have to bear in mind that sniping in WWII was mostly taking out people between 200 to 400 meters maximum. So don't expect 1200 yard accuracy from it, especially not from a standard model.

With 3 MOA groups at 100 yards, I expect it to be able to hit center mass up to 400 meters.

Maxem0815

Nice gun it falls into the category of 8x57 or 303 British in energy. The sniper version of the rifle is different from 91/31 with a faster lock time lighter trigger bent bolt and detachable scope mount. For interest the Germans preferred the Russian sniper rifle over the 98K for the reasons of reliability in the wonderfull warm weather in Russia.

Coyote WT

Aleksandra, my Mosin Nagant, was the first firearm I ever bought and that was after nearly three decades away from any kind of gun. I love it. I've been shooting it once a week (about 60 rounds per session) for about three months now and I'm really happy with our performance.

If no one has mentioned it make sure you're washing the barrel with water after each shooting if you're using corrosive (most military surplus) ammo.

kraigwy

Don't sell the Mosin short. They (if you have a decent barrel) are quite accurate. 3-3.5 MOA isn't as bad as most seem to think.

Think about this, the X-10-9 ring on the NRA 600 yard target is about 18 inches across. A 3 MOA Mosin is capable of keeping all the shots inside the 9 ring, the law of averages means that about 2/3s of those shots should be in the X-10 rings. Meaning, the gun is capable of 195+ out of 200 possible.

The 200 yard NRA target used in CMP Games has a 3.5 MOA X-10 ring, you should be able to clean the target with just about any Mosin.

The shooter is the weak link.

You see a lot of sub min rifles and groups talked about on the internet but you see very few cleaned 600 yard targets on the firing line.

You take the time to learn to shoot the Mosin, you'll be supprised.

I would highly recommend anyone who wants to learn to shoot the Mosin take a CMP GSM Clinic. Then practice. Dry firing the Mosin goes a long way in learning to make it shoot, Make some dummy rounds and practice loading with stripper clips. Dry fire "rappid fire" working the bolt.

I put on a CMP GSM Clinic & Match last weekend. Out of the Vintage Rifles, the two highest scores were Mosins. (There were Garands, Carbines and 1917s on the line). Not saying the Mosin will out shoot a Garand, but the Mosin shooter outshot the Garand shooter.

Chances are your Mosin is going to shoot high. Most do, but that's a easy fix without replacing the sights, and keeping it "as issue". Do a search as I've covered it a few times or PM me and I'll give you the simple details.

To add: What I like best about the Mosin rifle is it allows everyone to get into competitive rifle shooting, keeping shooting sports from being a rich man's support. To be competitive in High Power Rifle shooting, the rifle is going to cost about a grand, (three times that if you go to a M1A) plus the expensive ammo, heavy coats, etc etc. With the advent of the CMP GSM Vintage Military Rifle games, just about anyone can be competitive. You can use a $100 rifle and cheap surplus ammo (that normaly cost less then reloads) and can clean the target if the shooter learns the rifle).

Enjoy your rifle, keep it "AS ISSUED" and learn to shoot it. It will last you a life time.

Last edited:

hornetguy

As a footnote, if you (like many) find the square-edged blocky buttstock with metal buttplate to be somewhat, um.. uncomfortable :eek: for extended shooting sessions (more than a box), you can buy an aftermarket rubber recoil pad that screws on in place of the metal buttplate. It looks like it would make it more comfortable to shoot. Do a search on Fleabay, and you can find them for around 10-15 bucks.
I've been meaning to order one for my M44, but just haven't done it yet. I love shooting mine, which is definitely better than 3moa, but it just gets painful after a box or so....sort of encourages a flinch. :(
They are also nice to reload for, and I've been working up some loads with cast boolits that are every bit the equal to a 30-30 load, and are cream-puffs to shoot. But that's another tale...

capflyboy05

@Kraigwy "Dry firing the Mosin goes a long way in learning to make it shoot, Make some dummy rounds and practice loading with stripper clips. Dry fire "rappid fire" working the bolt."

Dry firing is normally bad....
Is it okay to do with this weapon?
And what is a CPM GSM clinic?

Bamashooter

Cap.... I killed a 200 pound doe with my M-44 a few years ago at a distance of over 200yrds. with iron sights. I was using S&B match ammo loaded with 174gr. Sierra bullets. With alot of shooting and some good ammo you will be suprised what you can do with a mosin. I currently have three and love them all. Have fun.