My first holster ... need advise ...

LetsFetz

Following some research and recommendations, I decided to go for one of the High Noon Holsters ... I plan using it for IDPA 99% of the time ... unexperienced in both, IDPA and carrying, I'd really appreciate some advise ...

... I thought I should go for the Topless (without a thumbbreak), of which they have two models - one with slide guard:
Slide Guard

... and one without:
Topless

... what would you recommend for IDPA?
... also, the gun(s) to be carried will be a CZ75 and a CZ97 ... will one holster suffice for both, or should I go for seperate holsters?

... both guns are polymer finished ... should I choose the lined holster and what will wear and tear do to a polymer finish? (I suppose the blued guns are a bit more reselient and/or wear does not spoil the looks so much) ...

... what about horsehide? ... is it advisable? ...

... thanks a lot in advance ...

cheers and beers
LetsFetz

Kermit

From what I've learned over my quest during the last few months, I'd get something inexpensive 1st, use it for awhile and try to figure out exactly what would work better for you.

C.R.Sam

Not that familiar with the guns.
Lookin at their list, seems same holster fits 97B and 75C.

A tweek of the tension screw when switchin guns might be all that is needed.

I would go for unlined. KIS. Silicone spray the insides for slippery.

Ride higth and angle appears similar to my Galco Silhouettes, and I like them for carry and games.

Since you are plannin on getting serious with IDPA, I would kiss the gun finish goodby....whatever it is.

You be in for lots of fun.

Sam

braindead0

Safariland has IDPA suitable holster for a really decent price, I picked up a high rise paddle for my Windicator and love it. It does have a thumb break, but I haven't found it to be any slower than my Fobus makarov holster (which has no strap of course).

70-101

Highnoon Holsters

I own seven of Michaels holsters,He is without a doubt on of the finest leather holster makers in the world. My last purchase was His model skyhigh in natural horsehide,for my 239.Take a look at His topless model in horsehide,it's a little stiffer than His cowhide holsters. I think, this may be what your looking for....

treeprof

I have one for my mid-size Glocks in horsehide, unlined. Fine holster, tho I had to trim the extension that forms the guard. It was too wide, and interferred with my getting a good grip on the draw. These are well-molded holsters, and you'll need separate ones for the 75 and 97. I've found the polymer finishes on my 75B and 85 Combat to be quite resistant to holster-wear in various brands of leather, and I've used both a lot. The polymer is more wear-resistant than bluing, and I believe it's a parkerized finish below the polymer coat to boot.

CWL

Definitely use one holster for both IDPA & carry. You should practice with the same equipment you carry.

Polymer will wear away along the major contact points on the holster, there is nothing you can do about it short of hardchroming.

The slide guard will keep your skin from the pistol, protect the decocker and limit humidity transfer from sweating.

I think that the topless is probably faster but not if you practice draw techniques with the slide huard.

LetsFetz

Lining or not?

... thanks everybody ... good points and advise above ...

Since you are plannin on getting serious with IDPA, I would kiss the gun finish goodby....whatever it is.

... I was really hoping, not to learn about news like that :( ... well, live's not ideal, now is it? ;) ... what's the most wear resistant finish anyway? ...

... about the lining ... High Noon says:
It is made from a special synthetic material that is super slick and has cutting edge durability.This material is produced exclusively for High Noon Holsters.
... has anybody got experience with those lined holsters? ... can you recommend it? ... or, can I save the bucks and just go for a plain cow- and/or horsehide holster? ...

BTW, having worked with leather myself and knowing about its habit of "adapting", I really like the tension-screw feature (dunno, whether it really works, of course) ...

riddleofsteel

Click this link for the definitive answer to the horsehide/cowhide question.

http://www.horseshoe.co.uk/which.htm

I have owned both types for many years. I started with Kramer horsehide holsters back when that was all he made. Since then I have owned holsters in cowhide, horsehide, shark, kydex and elephant. I must say that I have hardly notice the difference in carrying them or thier performance. The upkeep and care you give a holster, much like a pair of quality shoes, is critical to its life and ability to perform.
I clean my regular carry holsters with saddle soap. You do not want to get a detail boned holster soaking wet or use oil soaps on it that cause it to soften. Once they holster is clean I polish it with regular Kiwi shoe polish. This provides a hard wax surface and restores color to stratches.
My favorite holsters right now are a Kramer cowhide belt scabbard for the MK40 and a Fobus paddle for the G22 Glock.

70-101

I have two Lined "Skyhigh"

Highnoon Holsters.Personally, I do not see the need and additional expense of having them lined.I will not pay the additional expense for any more lined holsters. I would get the unlined holster ,and spray it with a little silicone leather conditioner, to speed up your draw.The only advantage horsehide has over cowhide [if you even want to call it an advantage] is horsehide is a little stiffer.So for me personally, drawing and reholstering is easyer. Save yourself, some money get the unlined cowhide,and spray the interior of the holster with silicone...;)

Last edited:

Hard Ball

I avoid lined holsters. The lining is something you don't need that can cause problems.
I was going to say a few words sbout holster care, but riddleofsteel has already covered that in a splendid fashion. :cool:

LetsFetz

... great link - riddleofsteel ...

... silicone, hmmm? ... a Sam-Thing, too ... :)

... thanks again everybody ... guess, the decision is made ...

... that was reasonably easy ...

WESHOOT2

I DON'T CARE WHAT IT SAYS

The CZ75 and CZ97 are different sizes, and although my Witness clones fit the same Sparks 1AT I don't recommend using the same holster for two different guns (nor mag pouches).

Sugest a Fobus set-up for one (very inexpensive but very good).

Wear-resistant finishes include hardchrome and electroless nickel, but perhaps you'll have (or find) more important expenses..............

(I love giving advice I myself don't heed :cool: )