My first hog hunt

OnTheFly

A friend with a hunting lease northwest of Ft. Worth, TX invited me to go hog hunting after my annual training in Dallas. This was not only my first hog hunt, but it was my first hunt of any kind.

Since I have absolutely zero hunting equipment or firearms, he was gracious enough to provide most everything other than warm clothing. The weather was cold (for Texas) with lows around freezing and highs in the upper 30's to 40's. The first night we didn't see anything, but the next morning before dawn we saw one hog. I took a shot I shouldn't have. The hog did not have enough light on it and it was difficult to make out the riflescope crosshairs. I'm sure I also rushed the trigger pull. That was a miss.

That night I convinced myself that I needed to take it slow. A boar, possibly the same one from that morning, came into the area. He tried to enter the barbed wire to get close to the feeder, but was tripped up. He eventually walked out of sight. A few minutes later, he was back and made it through the wire. He was just to the side of the feeder with good light on him. So I forced myself to slow down and do it right. I was shooting a rifle in 22-250 so it had to be a head shot. I was absolutely shocked when the hog dropped right where it was standing. My money was against me getting the kill since I'm not much of a rifleman, not to mention unfamiliar with the rifle.

Funny thing about adrenaline. Before the kill I was freezing my ass off, but as soon as I took the shot and saw the hog drop, I never even thought about being cold the rest of the night. We were up until 2:30AM cleaning it, which was a very interesting process. To be honest, I was worried about whether I would wimp out when it came to blood and guts, but it surprisingly did not bother me in the slightest.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Fly

Attachments

• Feeder.jpg
    Feeder.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 202
  • Blind.jpg
    Blind.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 192
  • View from blind.jpg
    View from blind.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 202

Panfisher

Cool. Well done on knowing to slow down and take your time. Good looking Woodstock on what appears to be an older Rem 700 adl.

Old Stony

You have the right ideas now!..Just for reference for you, I recently switched one of my rifles over to a Leupold 3x9 with a "Firedot". It gives you a very tiny illuminated dot at the center of the crosshairs where it is difficult to see in low light. Works great and I love it even for daytime shooting against a black target background.

OnTheFly

Thanks for the kind words guys. It was a very enlightening experience from start to finish. I will keep the illuminated scope idea in mind. I've looked at plenty of those scopes, but never thought about them in this (night) application. I shoot 10-20K rounds of pistol per year, but I'm not much of a rifleman.

Too bad I missed the first time, because I could have (correctly) bragged that I had never missed and every kill dropped the animal right where it stood. :) Now I have to go hunting again to bring my average above 50%.

Fly

979Texas

Nice hog you killed man. Glad you were successful and enjoyed yourself down here in this great state. Congrats on the trophy and the focused shooting.

rightside

Excellent and classic rifle. Congrats on a job well done and a weapon well chosen. Blue steel and wood, Oh yeah!!

hoghunting

Glad you had a great time in Texas, that's why I live here. That's a perfect eating-size hog, hope you were able to take some meat home. Congratulations.

jwilson48

Cool story. Hunting can be very addicting. Before you know it, you can have more money wrapped up in hunting than guns. My first hog hunt is happening in September in Oklahoma. Then as soon as I draw a tag going north to bear hunt. Then west to elk hunt. Then south for alligator. Then west again for pronghorn. Not to mention all the hunting I do here in Missouri. See where I'm going with this?