My first contact with Colt Python

Kurbsky

I am not a young man but I never held a Colt Python in my hand... until today. Perceptions through photos and reality turned out to be quite different. I thought Colt Python would be on par or a little bit better than my S&W revolvers. Actually, in terms of craftsmanship it is MUCH better. I would say, equivalent to Knight Armament quality in AR world. My other discovery was that 4" feels much more balanced and shootable in my hand than a 6" Python, even though I would agree that as a safe queen or to shoot zombies a 6" is best. Also I thoigh it would feel heavy and it did not.

wild cat mccane said:
The craftsmanship is all looks.

Real world, the action on the Python is its weakness. Looks certainly are not.
First, I'm pretty certain you are referring to the original Python, not the new Python. With the originals, the action was potentially a weakness, but it was also a strength -- it was (for the time) pretty much indisputably the best DA revolver trigger available anywhere, for any price. But it was also fragile -- it tended to go out of time when shot a lot.

That does not apply to the new Python. The new Python has a completely redesigned action, which is not as prone to going out of time as the originals yet is still a very excellent DA trigger.

Second, there is a distinction between craftsmanship and design. The craftsmanship in the old (original) Pythons was there, regardless of whether or not they tended to go out of time. It wasn't the fault of the craftsmen (and women) who manufactured and assembled the guns that the design was more complex than it should have been.

Kurbsky

I wish I could afford the original Python. Before the Covid one gun shop offered it to me for $3,000 used. They are probably worth more now.The one I held in my hands this week was the new 2020 Python and still impessed me with the level of detail, smoothness of mechanical movements and looks, of course. Also, the reality is that the 4 inch Python is 2.4 or so oz heavier than my S&W 686 plus but my perception was that Colt is lighter. I guess I needed to put each in a bag and close my eyes to do a blind weight comparison. Also, my teenage kids voted for the 4" Python vs. 6" because they perceive it as more practical barrel length.

Bob Wright

I have owned, and shot heavily, several .357 Magnum revolvers. Probably the deal breaker for me was the rather short cylinder of the Python. When I loaded my reloads into the gun, I couldn't close the cylinder, the bullet noses protruding from the front. (Same problem with the vaunted S&W Model 27.)

While I normally like a muzzle heavy revolver, I found the Python to be too muzzle heavy for .38 Special bullseye shooting.

For me, the ultimate DA .357 Magnum is the S&W Model 586.

Bob Wright

603Country

I load for a newish 686+ and a 70’s Python. Same reloads in both and no problems with either. If I could only keep one, it would be the Python. The only reason I bought the 686 was to take the shooting load off the Python.

Nick_C_S

My First Gun - A Python

September 3rd, 1983. I received my first gun - a new 6" blued Colt Python.

Prior to this, I had only shot a couple 22LR revolvers. Nothing else other than pellet guns. That same day, I took it up to my friends property and shot it. I fell in love instantly. Of course, I had nothing to compare it against.

There's a lot of story between then and now, but let's just fast forward 37 years . . .

I am a revolver guy. I own lots of guns, but always gravitate to double action revolvers. They're more fun to shoot and more fun to load my own ammo for. Semi autos (and I own plenty) bore me, basically (save 1911's).

I still have my Python. But have since bought lots of other revolvers. I prefer Smith & Wessons. The Python doesn't fit in my hand as well (I have small hands and may like it better if I had larger hands). The Python's trigger - although butter smooth - stacks quite a bit, and I'm not a fan. Also, the trigger blade is narrow and grooved; and, I prefer a wide smooth trigger blade. Smith's also seem more durable. My Python, having that stunning beautiful blued finish, left me wanting to preserve it, rather than shoot it. Which is exactly why I bought my first stainless Smith before the end of '83.

I still have my Python. And it gets to come out of the safe about every other year for a shoot (and every year for a clean and oiling). I enjoy it every time I take it out. But it's not my 686 4", or my 67 4". Those two both get tons of range time.

bedbugbilly

I
m the red headed step child . . . I owned an original 4" blued Python that was 98% - I took it to the range a few times - the first time there was a guy two slots down that wanted to shoot it so I let him run a few cylinders through it - he wanted to buy it but I wasn't ready to sell it. I found out later he was a well known surgeon and already had a collection of around 45 to 50 Phtjons. I TRIED to like it but it just never appealed to me. I sold it the next year for almost 3 times what I paid for it. Everybody likes different things, but I'll yake my almost 70 year old S & W 5" M & P over a Python any day of the week. It feels good, shoots good and does the job. I don't need "pretty" - a Ford or Chevy will get you anyplace a Mercedes or Beemer will take you.

Kurbsky

All my revolvers - 686, 586 and Ruger Redhawk .44 mag are 4". I also noticed that most long-time gun collectors (30 years in my case) prefer 4" barrel revolvers. Is it, among other reasons, because there is no significant difference in accuracy between 4" and 6"? My 2.5" S&W Ti did not work for me at all in terms of placing the shots where I waned - sold it. I am very happy with the 4" accuracy.

CajunBass

I've got three of the 2020 Pythons so it's fair to say I like them. One 6", and two 4.2" ones. I'd have been happy with just the two, but my wife wanted one of her own, so I suppose technically I have three of them in my safe.

If there is a difference between the 6" and the 4" in the way they shoot, I sure can't tell it, but I freely admit that I'm not a great shot in the first place. Personally I like 4" barrel revolvers. I only bought the 6" one because it was the first one I saw. The S/N is in the < 3000 range so it's out of the first "batch." No problems with the gun at all, other than having to tighten up the sideplate screws one time. They haven't come loose again. The two 4" guns, from later production have been trouble free.

The cylinders are short. I had to seat 158 grain bullets a little deeper into 357 cases than I was used to with my Smith and Wesson's. Something I'd never encountered before, but I usually shoot 38 Special's due to having a bucket full of 38 brass. No factory ammo has been a problem.

A lot of people complain about the grips. They don't like the "plywood" look I suppose. Personally, I like the muted look against the bright metal, and I think they among the most comfortable grips I've ever used, at least factory grips. That will differ from one person to another, but I never cared for the "target" grips on the older Colts. They had a lot of flair at the base of the grip making my little finger all but useless, and the checkering, although beautiful to look at, made shooting the gun feel like holding onto a wood rasp, especially with hard recoiling loads. These new ones don't have either problem for me.

The triggers out of the box are at least to my mind very good. No stacking just a smooth pull through. They beg to be fired DA. Normally I do a lot of my shooting in S/A, but I don't think I've fired either of the three in SA since the first time out with the 6" gun. Once I tried the DA, I just never looked back.

My favorite load in all three is a 148 HB Berry's wadcutter, over the normal load of Bullseye. That one just cuts nice clean holes in the target, very close together. 125 and 158 grain Berry's have also performed well at various loads in both 38 and 357 loadings.

If there is anything I don't like it's the rear sight. It works fine, but requires a small Allen head wrench, not supplied, to make adjustments. Loosen the set screw, adjust as normal with two different sized screwdrivers, tighten the set screw. I'm sure that could be simplified.

I've probably got about 1000 rounds through the three. Most of them (800 rounds) in the 6" gun but that's the first one I got. The first 4" gun I got right as the COVID hit, so it sat for a long time unfired. The third one I got a few weeks ago. It's been to the range once along with revolver #2. I've split the remaining 200 rounds between those two. I need to shoot them all more I know.

Since we all like pictures, and I like to show off...my apologies for the poor lighting. The other 4" one looks just like this one. I have to check the S/N to know which is which.

enhance

pete2

I have an old Python, while a thing of beauty, the old S&W 586 shoots and handles a lot better than the Python, the trigger on my 586 is much better than the Python, D/A on a Colt is terrible compared to the 586. I have a late model 686 plus. Not the greatest revolver that I own. S&W quality has suffered a lot over the last 40 or so years. I've not handled one of the new Pythons, thinking I need a 4" Python when things settle down, if they do settle down before I die(76 years young).

Kurbsky

Cajun - with your love for Colt Pythons I won't be surprised if you add a Royal Blue version to your family collection when they start selling it again. My wife is sticking to her Glock 19 - so I won't have to buy 2 identical Colts. I agree with Pete that it's better to shop when things settle. My definition for settle as applued to 4" Python is $1,300 or so. You can actually get this price now every 3 month or so but it requires some patience and ability to react quickly to your email inbox info. Also, I looked at the photos of peple with the 6" Python in a holster on their belt. It looks like a moderate size machete to me. If I will want something upscale and heavy just to carry to the range, I would consider a DW 6" revolver.

UncleEd

Recently got a Python 2020 4-incher.

I agree the set screw on the rear sight
is a bit of a puzzlement. Usually the
only thing I need is elevation so windage
is of no real concern.

Don't like the serrations on the trigger but
nothing can't live with. Smith revolvers
prior to 1982 also had the serrations.

As to the action, in double action the pull
is buttery even and smooth at 9.5 pounds.
Perfect for me and right at Colt's specification.
Single action is crispy crisp but 6 oounds.
Could be a bit lighter but then again never
use SA.

Overall a finely made handgun with attention
to detail way beyond current S&W wheel guns.

Note, back in the day I owned a number of
Pythons but none with as nice an action as
the 2020 model. Colt should feel proud.

CajunBass

Cajun - with your love for Colt Pythons I won't be surprised if you add a Royal Blue version to your family collection when they start selling it again. My wife is sticking to her Glock 19 - so I won't have to buy 2 identical Colts. I agree with Pete that it's better to shop when things settle. My definition for settle as applued to 4" Python is $1,300 or so. You can actually get this price now every 3 month or so but it requires some patience and ability to react quickly to your email inbox info. Also, I looked at the photos of peple with the 6" Python in a holster on their belt. It looks like a moderate size machete to me. If I will want something upscale and heavy just to carry to the range, I would consider a DW 6" revolver.

I could probably be talked into a 4" in blue if they ever happen. I did have a 1964, 4" in Blue a few years back but had to sell it during a period of "Personal economic downturn." I tell myself I didn't really like it that much, but that's more to make myself feel better about selling it. It did go to a young Marine just back from "the sandbox" so that helped.

I paid MSRP for both of the ones pictured early last year. The third one I paid a couple hundred over MSRP, but (1) It's a year later, and most everything else has gone up, and (2) probably more importantly, my wife was standing there saying, "I want it. Get it."

I don't have a holster for any of them. The only way they get carried is in silicone sock, in a range bag. Really, I'd hate to have to lug something like these around on a belt, but then, I'm not as young as I used to be.

Lavan

I've owned and gotten rid of 4 Pythons. Every time I sold one, I'd convince myself that I SHOULD like Pythons.
I do wish I had those 4 back though so I could sell them at today's prices!
;)

But I still like the Smiths better.