My first centerfire revolver

Bigfatts

Well, I went looking for a lever action in .45 Colt and I walked into this pawn shop and there it was, a brand new Ruger Blackhawk convertible in .357 Mag, 4 5.8 bbl, blued. It had the extra cylinder to shoot 9mm which I thought was really cool. I had been thinking seriously of getting a Vaquero in .45 Colt as a companion to the Puma 92 I have in .454Casull/.45Colt but couldn't get to like the plain old sights, nor could I find one for the kind of money I could get together. Well I had come looking to trade and didn't thhink I could get the Ruger for what I had with me (a Wal-Mart special Model 70 in .300WSM), the most I had been offered for it so far was $300. The Ruger was marked down from $409 to $349. The guy asked me what I was looking to get for the Win and I says, just to try it, "Could you do me straight up for the Ruger and a box of ammo?" He thought about it for a little while and said he had had the Blackhawk too long and that he would take the trade, even though he would lose money on it(riiiight). So all in all I got about $370 for the Winchester($30 less than I paid for it.)

This is my first centerfire revolver, the only other one I have is an old FIE Buffalo Scout .22LR/WMR. I've heard good things about the Blackhawks and it sure will be an upgrade from the Makarov I usually carry as a sidearm while hunting. Well, did I do good?

chris in va

Sounds good to me! I like the convertible thing, wish my SP101 had that. Hey, if you have a firearm that just isn't getting much use, why not trade it in? I do that all the time and have no regrets.

629 shooter

I've had my 4 5/8" convertable 357/9mm for just over a year now and it shoots very well for me , at least with the 357 cylinder. Have not shot the 9mm cylinder much so far.

I too , traded into it. With the massive cylinder and the 44 frame , the 357 Blackhawk is relatively mild to shoot compared to something like my K-frame Smith 357.

About the only complaint I have with my Blackhawk is the machining of the 357 cylinder bores , too many visible machining marks. But it shoots so good that it is probably a keeper!

Bigfatts

Well I'm loving it so far. If it shoots as well as it looks and handles I may have to add the .45 Colt version to my list of "to gets" since I wanted something in that caliber originally. Right now I'm lookin' for a holster and gunbelt so I can play cowboy :D.

crowbeaner

Big Fatts, my first handgun was a convertible with the 6.5" barrel. It shot great with the .357 cyl. but really loose with the 9mm cyl. Imean like 4" at 20 yds. You may be disappointed, but the ability to shoot cheap fodder is nice. I paid $125 for mine new,if that gives an idea how long ago it was. Enjoy.

Bigfatts

To tell you the truth, I didn't know it was a convertible until the guy brought out the box. To me it was just a bonus really, so if it doesn't shoot well with the 9mm cylinder it wouldn't bother me at all. I can't wait til I get to shoot it.