My first carry weekend

GPossenti

I finally received my CHL last week and have carried my XD45C in a Desantis Cozy Partner IWB since the minute the card came in the mail. This holiday weekend was a growing experience.

Wednesday I drove to meet the wife's family. Wore the gun at 3:30 position the entire drive. I didn't think it was too uncomfortable. Stopped for gas, wore a light jacket, no big deal.

Thursday: At the house all day, didn't carry.

Friday: We cut down a Christmas tree at the Christmas tree farm. 80 degrees outside. Wore a slightly large plaid button-down untucked. While standing in the snack line, a strong breeze blew against my strong side. I felt I would have been less embarrassed if I were in line buck naked. There were a dozen people behind me in line, and I felt like everyone was staring right at my gun. I decided the best course of action was to turn my strong side toward the counter, lean on the counter with my strong arm, and smile real big at the counter girl to keep her eyes of the bulge on my hip. I took my snacks and walked down the line with my weak side toward the line do no one in close proximity could see, me smiling all the way.

Later we went to the mall. I had to think through a couple of situations.

When eating lots of food, one tends to tolerate less tension on the gut. I loosened my belt at the table, but realized I needed to tighten the instant I stood and my gun sagged.

Sitting down in a bathroom stall is difficult. The doors don't go to the floor, so letting my pants and holster fall to the floor is not an option. I took my holster off completely and set it on the TP dispenser. What happens when the TP dispenser has a sloped top? I figured I'd just stick my gun all the way down my pants leg so it's concealed on the floor.

I don't even try to go outside of a stall. There's just too much that could go wrong.

Went to the sporting goods store and was looking at ammo. The aisle was tight, and a guy was trying to get past me. We put his hands on either side on my torso, no more than 2 inches above my gun. I was about to tear into him but thought better of it. He didn't "make" me, so there's no reason freaking out. I just moved out of the way very quickly whenever someone wanted down the aisle.

The problem with carrying around family is hugging. Only one hug made me. My 10 year old niece. She hugged me around the waist and grabbed my gun. She said, "is that your hip?" Of course I told her it was and then she correcter herself and said, "oh, it's your belt". Whatever. Let her think what she wants to.

I'm certainly feeling more comfortable carrying. I'm glad I got my license. My wife keeps telling me she feels completely safe when she's with me. i feel safer, not invincible, but safer.

Keltyke

Friday: We cut down a Christmas tree at the Christmas tree farm. 80 degrees outside. Wore a slightly large plaid button-down untucked. While standing in the snack line, a strong breeze blew against my strong side. I felt I would have been less embarrassed if I were in line buck naked. There were a dozen people behind me in line, and I felt like everyone was staring right at my gun.
LOL! We've all been there. Trust me, you're much, MUCH more aware of your gun than anyone else is. If you wear IWB or a tight OWB, the only thing that MIGHT show is a partial outline of the butt. Is it a gun or a cell phone? No one will know. Of the 10 who actually DO make you: 8 will assume you're some type of LEO and ignore you. 1 will be a BG who suddenly decides this isn't a good day to rob McDonald's. 1 will be another CWP holder who will say to himself, "I am not alone." Every now and then, you'll run into a self-important egotist who decides he has to make a big scene for his significant other or for his own personal cause, which is most likely NOT the law of the land. In this situation, POLITELY deflect/ignore his remarks and protests. If you are carrying legally, you have nothing to worry about.

I decided the best course of action was to turn my strong side toward the counter, lean on the counter with my strong arm, and smile real big at the counter girl to keep her eyes of the bulge on my hip.
If you act self-conscious or start walking funny, people WILL wonder why. BE NORMAL.
but realized I needed to tighten the instant I stood and my gun sagged.
The more you carry, the more you will learn to dress around your gun. A quick belt buckle adjustment will not even be noticed.
Sitting down in a bathroom stall is difficult.
This is an easy one. Unholster your weapon. If there is no flat surface to lay it on, simply take down your pants/underwear and lay it in the crotch as you sit down. Don't forget to take it out before you stand up. :eek:
We put his hands on either side on my torso, no more than 2 inches above my gun. I was about to tear into him but thought better of it.
A simple statement like, "Please don't touch me.", and a quick movement away will usually work. That being said, someone who grabs for your waist may very well have made you and be going for your gun. Be alert to your surroundings and the people in your vicinity.

She said, "is that your hip?" Of course I told her it was and then she correcter herself and said, "oh, it's your belt". Whatever. Let her think what she wants to.
WRONG! Your immediate family MUST know you carry. Bringing this out in the open now will avoid an embarrassing incident later. Also, a homeowner has a right to refuse to let you carry in their home, and you mustn't violate that right. You could take you niece aside and quietly tell her what it is. Show it to her (in the holster) and explain you've taken a class to be trained and licensed to carry it and you're carrying it legally. Also tell her she's never to mention it when you're out in public. Advise your family of this, too. Think what might have happened if she'd brushed against it in a store and pulled your shirt up saying, "What's that?" OOPS! Concealed means CONCEALED.

You've made a good start. I've carried many years and it's second nature to me. I put my holster on when I get dressed and put my carry piece in it when I go out. If I go to a place where carry is forbidden, I simply take it out and slide it into the glove compartment before getting out. You'll get to the point where you only feel a slight tug of weight on your belt from time to time. You'll know it's there, but you won't notice it's there.

On that note, don't scrimp $$$ on holsters and belts. My carry belt is a 1.5" x 1/8" workman's belt from Tractor Supply. My main carry holster is a Desantis, so is my secondary carry holster. I also have holsters from JMG and Galco. You may find you will have 2-3 or even 4 different holsters to fit the situation and mode of dress.

Congratulations on becoming a Sheepdog.

finrot

Try one of the .380s , Keltec 3PAT or the Ruger LCP for situations where the threat level is low. They fit into a pocket, with a good holster they look like a wallet, and after a few weeks you don't even remember you are carrying.

Kreyzhorse

WRONG! Your immediate family MUST know you carry. Bringing this out in the open now will avoid an embarrassing incident later. Also, a homeowner has a right to refuse to let you carry in their home, and you mustn't violate that right. You could take you niece aside and quietly tell her what it is. Show it to her (in the holster) and explain you've taken a class to be trained and licensed to carry it and you're carrying it legally. Also tell her she's never to mention it when you're out in public. Advise your family of this, too. Think what might have happened if she'd brushed against it in a store and pulled your shirt up saying, "What's that?" OOPS! Concealed means CONCEALED.

+1 to that one. Letting them know is the only way avoid a potential issue later.

Otherwise, sounds like you are adapting pretty easy. The only other thing I can think of is that while you feel pretty aware of the gun strapped to you, most people won't have any idea what you are carrying even if they see the outline or holster. People just aren't to aware of their surroundings.

Don P

CCW

Its good to be aware when carring. If it did accidently showed because the wind blew your shirt up:eek: just cover back up:). Most of the sheeples are in condition white;) ( oblivious to there surroundings and other people ) The average person will not notice the bulge on your side unless you are wearing a skin tight shirt and the print is that obvious. As far as your family goes, its up to you. They call it conceled carry. I would abide by a family member in there home if they are totaly against firearms. leave it in the car LOCKED. As far as using the toitie, in the stall place the gun or gun and holster inside your pants between your legs while sitting and taking care on business. This way you will NOT FORGET your gun and holster sitting on top on the paper dispencer. And yes it has happened before. While I worked for Loomis a female Loomis employee used the rest room. Yes she left her firearm in the bathroom:eek:. A store employee found it:eek:, gave it to the store manager,:eek: he in turned called the office and YES she was fired for it. So to repeat, IT CAN HAPPEN.

Keltyke

If it did accidently showed because the wind blew your shirt up just cover back up. Most of the sheeples are in condition white ( oblivious to there surroundings and other people )

+1 on that. If your weapon is accidentally exposed, simply pull your shirt back down and go about your business as if nothing happened. No silly grins or apologies or hunching over to try and cover up. Fly the flag of innocence. Like "22" said, no one will notice, or if they do, refer to my comments on "being made".

Japle

+2 to 22mag.

People are way too wrapped up in themselves to pay any attention to bulges under your shirt. They aren't looking for guns. It never occurs to them that you or anyone else might be armed.

I carried a S&W M29 in and OWB holster for a couple of weeks just for fun. I wore Hawaiian shirts and cargo shorts. The gun is huge. Felt like I had half a steel grapefruit hung on my side. The speedloaders stick out a mile. No way people wouldn't notice. But no one did.

Relax.

GPossenti

Everybody in the family knows and is fine. I wasn't sure about telling my 10 year-old niece though.

So yall think I should tell her?

Keltyke

Abso-damn-lutely. Children are the ones who will unwittingly violate or make you, often in the MOST public situations.

In line at the checkout at Wal-Mart:
Child bumps into your concealed weapon with her shoulder.
"OWW! What's that under your shirt?"
<grabs hem of shirt, jerks up>
Typical childlike questions and remarks follow.

Now you're not only in concealment violation, there is a minor child in close proximity to your weapon. At the very LEAST, you'll be extremely embarrassed.

If they KNOW about the gun, and KNOW it's a PRIVATE thing, then they KNOW how to not react.

Creature

WRONG! Your immediate family MUST know you carry.

You can tell them that you do carry...but you dont have to tell them when.

Keep in mind the very human reaction if a BG ever confronts them for your family to want to look directly at you with "well...do something!" look. This reflexive eye movement can actually compromise or even betray your concealed status.

My wife knows that I carry, but she never actually sees me "saddle up" and only if she asks me if I am packing will I tell her.
I most vigorously disagree with the last poster. There is absolutely no reason to tell your children. Children can be quite unrestrained about blurting out certain facts or ideas in polite company (or impolite, as the case may be) and they can very easily compromise your concealed status without much forethought. "Be nice mister...my daddy's got a gun!" is not what you want to here in the walmart check-out line.

+1 on the P3AT. I picked up a cheap Desantis nemesis holster when I bought mine just to be able to legally carry it. Now I'm looking for something more wallet-like as it still prints "pistol" and there are no cover garments over it (back pocket). I'd rather take a .45 than a .380 to a conflict, but then again I'd rather take a .380 than a sharp stick. Pocket pistols are no fun to shoot but they'll put holes in things and they're a lot easier to carry around family events and whatnot than larger frames.

In Ohio printing or accidentally flashing is not an issue as we allow open carry and there are no laws against printing. If your state is the same, then you'll find you relax a LOT with a little practice. As stated above - people are way too wrapped up in their own worlds to be looking for guns. You can always play the game yourself, too. Just try to remember the last time you noticed someone was armed & trying to conceal it (I'd guess never). Now that you're self-aware, see if you can spot it by actively looking. I don't find very many.

Drachenstein

After a while you don't think about it. Sometimes I carry sometimes
I don't. If I'm transporting jewelry - count on it. I do let the wife know out of courtesy.

Another avenue to consider is a shoulder holster; very comfortable under a suit jacket or Hawaiian shirt.;)

SteelJM1

I dont have my CCW yet

So i carry open. Trust me, you don't have to worry about people making out what that thing under your shirt is; they don't even bat an eye when I very obviously have a bright silver and black revolver hanging on the side of my pants!

One thing you will realize once you have been carrying for awhile is that most people will not even notice you are there if they do not physically run into you...much less notice a small printing under your shirt. Even if they do, gun is usually that last thing they assume that small bulge might be in these days of cell phones, PDA's, etc. :)

FireForged

I dont carry in other peoples homes.. Even if they say its ok, I just dont. Although this might be different if I lived in a bigger city where I had to walk around in public in order to get to someones place ie. apartment or something like that.

Its better to wear items that wont fly up our open when the wind blows.

Dont worry about other people "making" you.. 99.9% will never notice.

There are those people who "act like they are armed" and some will understand what I mean by that. Its hard to describe, but they will favor their weapon like they are trying to hide what cant be seen. Or they are always checking on it like its gonna jump out. I saw a guy on a date in a movie theater once and I felt confident that he was carrying a medium frame auto.. What was funny was that while seated he must have touched it either with his elbow or his thumb about 500 times, like he wanted to make sure it was there.

Just be normal and be smart.

SteelJM1

Fireforged: That guy in the theatre was probably new at carrying. I'm still new and catch myself touching mine because i worry it's shifted or is going to fall out, even though it hasn't moved a millimeter. And i bet the only people notcing his touchy-feelyness were others who have or currently carry.

ChicagoTex

Also, a homeowner has a right to refuse to let you carry in their home, and you mustn't violate that right.

I dont carry in other peoples homes.. Even if they say its ok, I just dont. Although this might be different if I lived in a bigger city where I had to walk around in public in order to get to someones place ie. apartment or something like that.

While I agree a homeowner has the right to refuse to let you carry in their home, I also feel that I have the right to the privacy of my concealment. Which is to say, I will enter anyone's home with my CCW on unless I've been told I'm not allowed. But since it's concealed, most don't know about it - and thus don't prohibit me.
When you consider the alternative is you winding up explaining to everyone and their dog why you're excercising your constitutional right, dealing with lots of awkward questions, wasting a lot of time, and increasing your risk that one of them will thoughtlessly in public "out" you - it just isn't worth the trouble.

I respect the people who's homes I enter, so much so that I continue to remain armed for my own as well as their benefit, whether they're aware of it or not.

Keltyke

What was funny was that while seated he must have touched it either with his elbow or his thumb about 500 times, like he wanted to make sure it was there.

If you're confident in your holster/belt and method of carry, you won't do that so much. Good gun leather isn't cheap. Cheap gun leather is.