My first AR

dayman

I decided I wanted to see what the whole AR thing was about, and since I didn't have a whole lot of money at any given time - and needed a winter project - I decided to buy it part by part and put it together myself.
Now I finally have it put together and put some rounds through it, so I thought I'd share. And encourage anyone who's been on the fence about making one to do it. Easier than most things from IKEA.
te4abyqy.jpg

I'll try to get a better picture at some point, but this one does the basic idea.
I like the looks of the A2 front, and I didn't want a quad rail, so a lot of my choices were pretty easy.
-BCM barrel/upper/bcg/charging handle/bus
-JM vtac modular ff foregrip
Viltor a5 buffer/buttstock
-PSA lower with a Timmney drop in trigger and a miad pistol grip.
- a bunch of pmags

And that was the basic rifle.
To finish it up I added:
- magpul AFG because the one other ar I've shoot had one and I looked it.
-Aimpoint pro because the price was right
-vtac sling because I can't shoot very well without a sling

It's not the fanciest gun out there but for the low low price of *probably far more than I intended to spend* I have a fun that's exactly what I wanted.

I've not bench rested it or had a chance to shoot it on my longer range, but I can hold 3" groups pretty well at 50 yards standing with the sling - which is as good as I shoot anything.

Last edited:

Sharkbite

Very nice

Welcome to the addiction. Next you'll be playing with different calibers then barrel lengths then a suspressor or SIX.

ENJOY

dayman

I'm already thinking how nice a suppressor would be. Out of curiosity, if I got one in .45 - for say a theoretical .450 socom upper - would it also work for 5.56?
I'm under the impression that it works that way for pistols, but I want sure if it worked for riddles add well.

rdmallory

Yes, you will find lowers on sale for $59 and pick up a few just to have.
Then you will find a good deal on a stripped upper or maybe lower parts kits....Might as well build two more..... Get the picture?

Doug

Theohazard

dayman said:
I'm already thinking how nice a suppressor would be. Out of curiosity, if I got one in .45 - for say a theoretical .450 socom upper - would it also work for 5.56?
I'm under the impression that it works that way for pistols, but I want sure if it worked for riddles add well.
It works the same way for rifles or pistols: For the most part you can shoot any caliber that's the same diameter or smaller, but at the same time you shouldn't go over the maximum pressure rating of the silencer.

So 9mm in a .45 silencer is OK, but .223 in a .45 silencer will put way too much pressure though the silencer and will damage it. It might even blow it up. I don't know much about the .450 SOCOM round, but I'd think it would make too much pressure for most .45 suppressors.

dayman

Yeah, I wasn't thinking a 45acp can, but rather something made for .45 rifle loads.
(It's actually 458socom - I mistyped - and I think it's basically the same idea as like 450 bushmaster.)

I just wasn't sure if the increased pressure would make an oversized can less effective, and buying one that would - theoretically anyway - work for all my conceivable rifles seems like it would be something I could convince my wife was a good financial choice.
I can hardly afford not to, right?