My first AR

Chris_B

I love shooting my M1 rifle and my M1 carbine. But I wanted something designed, well, a little more recently, and for which ammo was easily found

Today I went to the funstore, and looked at a whole bunch of stuff. My buddy bought a former Russian AK47 with a US made receiver, actually a nice rifle, considering how its made. I walked away with a Colt

sporter.jpg

Colt Sporter Target with heavy barrel in 5.56. The rifle looks almost unfired. Not a scratch on the park. My buddy was a Cobra pilot and the AR platform is 'his' rifle, we looked it over together and he handed it to me and said 'if you want one, this is one to get'. I'm very pleased with it. :D

Chris_B

Thanks guys.

Report as soon as I buy ammo and go shooting. I didn't buy any ammo on purpose, I want to be proficient in operation, takedown, assembly, and troubleshooting first. I did get two Colt mags though, green follower. No real knowledge of what makes the follower color matter yet

DnPRK

Had several. I can get a flat top upper later on down the road, correct?
Yes, you can swap the carry handle upper for a flat top.

My first ARs had carry handles. But I was in my 20s with 20/15 eyesight.

Now I'm in my 50s, my eyesight is 20/40 and I've swapped all the carry handle uppers for flat tops with optics.

Modularity is one of the beauties of the AR platform.

jproaster

Nice rifle.

I'm reading a book on the AR and building one too. I almost wish that I'd just bought one like yours first. Just waiting for the tools from midway to get started.

Have fun.

john

Indeed, there is something sexy about a 20 inch carry handle, with that original profile, just looks so damn right! and another thing, the short barrel, flat top, laser, flashlight, collapsing stock, mp3 player guns dont shoot any batter ya know, very nice rifle and hope you enjoy that thing for along time!!!

Jim243

Nice going Chris, the only problem is that it will keep putting all the bullets through the same hole, get a few tin cans that will swing and set them up. Don't use the beer cans they will shread to fast. It's always fun to see the cans dance.

Jim

Chris_B

:) Thanks guys. Looking forward to the range trip. I'm functionally aware of what I need to know now. Now I need the right cleaning kit, 5.56, and a chance to get to the range

Can't do the can thing though. My range is actually in the middle of a neighborhood, been there for over 80 years and the houses grew around it. Can't even tape paintballs to a target, for fear they will fall off, somebody will shoot at one on the ground, hit a rock, and ricochett into a house :(

a7mmnut

Nice to see traditional back on stage. It will especially be sweet company for those other great rifles of yours you already mentioned. Congrats again,

-7-

NWPilgrim

You will be very happy with that Colt, especially since you enjoy the historical value of military rifles. Later on you may want another one, or another upper for flattop mounting of optics. But the carry handle version has excellent iron sights and will reek of 46 yrs of war fighting by our military men. They are an awful lot of fun at the range: very accurate and cheap to feed.

I also started with CMP Garands (Dad fought in the Pacific), then M1 Carbines (after I read To Hell and Back), and finally AR15s (spans period of my brother on DMZ in Vietnam and a SIL now serving). Every time I shoot one of these military rifles I think of the men who carried them or carry them still. I have no pretenses of being like them, but I consider it a tribute to their service that a civilian at least understand what they fought with.

Enjoy your Colt AR15!

Skadoosh

Thanks guys. Looking forward to the range trip. I'm functionally aware of what I need to know now. Now I need the right cleaning kit, 5.56, and a chance to get to the range

If going to a decent outdoor range, a variety of sight zeroing procedures can be found here: http://ar15zeroing.com/

Personally, I prefer the USMC procedure...but the Front Sight Firearms Training Institute Zeroing Procedure is quick and easy.