my first AR-15, what should I get

headbangerJD

In a few months I will be buying a semi-auto rifle (AR) for range and recreational use. I own a few handguns, but this will be my first rifle. I would like some suggestions on a good semi-auto in 223 caliber for about $1,000.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Palmetto-Pride

The Smith & Wesson M&P 15 series is pretty good. When it comes to AR15s you are going to get a whole smorgasbord board of opinions, you just have to weed through the hype and bull****.

azredhawk44

I'd say to keep it basic, and keep it on a standard level to conform to any shooting clinics you might participate in once you join the fraternity of the autoloading rifle.

Something with a sturdy fixed buttstock, carry handle affixed to the upper receiver, iron sights and 20" barrel.

pilpens

I am new to ARs, also.
I just assembled one very recently - BCM SS midlength complete upper and Spike's Tactical complete lower.
With options I picked, I am almost at $1200.
Fit is very good. Rifle shoots well.
I can see a BCM/Spikes combo for $1000 with different options.
Also check out CDNN, I just got their catalog -- S&W + 5 Pmags for < 1000.
Check out PKfirearms for Sabre Defense uppers.
Sabre Defense Upper and Spikes lower maybe good combo, also.
Again, I am new to ARs. So mine is just from my very limited experience and some recent searching on the internet.

BCM 16" midlength is a very nice "do-everything" AR that will do a little bit of everything well.

Definitely get a flattop upper... you can always add a carry handle to a flattop; but you have to buy a new upper to get rid of a fixed carry handle.

greyson97

Something that allows you to swap out the stock for either a collapsible or fixed stock. removable carry handle with a picatinny rail underneath. fixed carry handles are dumb. removable front post is also a bonus. quad rail hand guard. 16" barrel

with that very basic setup you can configure your rifle (with additional parts of course) to be a long range sniper rifle (fixed stock, high power scope with picatinny rings, and a harris bipod that attaches to the quad rail fore grip) to a CQB rifle (collapsible stock, reflex sight mounted to the picatinny rail, and a verticle foregrip)

also, this might be harder, but the end of the barrel is threaded and you can swap out muzzle brakes or flash hiders

bumnote

I bought a RRA A4 Varmitter for my first AR and could not be happier with it. They are VERY addiciting. My other guns have been seriously neglected since I bought it.:)

Mick3411

I just picked up a Daniel Defense XV as my first AR and it is a beautiful gun and a great shooter. I paid 1100 including tax so it isnt far off your budget and then I get a $250 credit toward accessories from DD. You may want to check this out.

Mick

flight954

Get a Rock River, S&W M&P15, Bushmaster or one of the bargain CMMG's and w/ the extra cash buy a bunch of cheap steel cased ammo (what ever brand you can get the best deal on) and then plink away. Be patient look around the net and at shows and you can find some good lightly used AR's these days. The AR market pricing is dropping back to normal prices as the months go on.

thinkingman

Buy a Colt lower with upgraded internals...RockRiver two-stage trigger.
Then buy a couple of uppers.
RockRiver predator pursuit, varmint, coyote for great shooting and an M4.