My first 1911

Yankee Traveler

Finally took delivery of my Colt Blackened Stainless Rail Gun, mere hours ago. I Have not put a round through it yet, it may be the 26th before I have a few spare hours to go to the range.
I just thought I would pop a couple of pics and throw them up here.

Why, you may ask?
1911, because it fits my hand.
Colt, because...because it's Colt.
Rail Gun, because it is better to have a rail and not need it then to need a rail and not have it.
Blackened Stainless, because it's the only Colt I've seen offered this way.

Attachments

• IMG_3618.jpg
    IMG_3618.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_3620.jpg
    IMG_3620.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 99

mes227

Good lookin' piece! I've been pondering picking up a Colt to keep my other 1911s company - I'd definitely go for this one.

Yankee Traveler

Thanks for the reply's.
I tend to agree that the rail does spoil the the classic looks of the 1911 to a very small degree, but not enough to dissuade me from purchasing due to the increased functionality.
Range report as soon as I can.

Sgt.Fathead

I'm going to guess at the "Government Model" stamp and casting about in my mind say that either the USMC or the US Army are still buying these guns from Colt. Your new piece looks great! I rather like the blackened stainless (wonder how it will wear over time) and a rail is a nice thing to have, I'm not a 1911 (or any other platform) purist. Form follows function. Good luck and great shooting, looking forward to your range report.

Also, how many mags of what capacity did it ship with and what other goodies are coming in a Colt box these days? Actually, what kind of box are they even shipping in!?

shootniron

What's with the rail hate?

Who said anything about hating the rail. I do not use them and it seems to make the ones that I have had a little more difficult to holster, so I choose not have them now. But that does not mean that I hate them...I just have no use for them.

Sgt.Fathead said:
I'm going to guess at the "Government Model" stamp and casting about in my mind say that either the USMC or the US Army are still buying these guns from Colt.
Wrong.

When Colt was actively making and selling the M1911 (WW1) and the M1911A1 (WW2) to the U.S. government, they were designated either M1911 ("Automatic Pistol, Caliber .45, M1911") or M1911A1 ("Automatic Pistol, Caliber .45, M1911A1" or, in the Vietnam era, "Pistol, Caliber .45, Automatic, M1911A1"). The name 'Government Model" was used for the commercial (civilian) pistols that were sold. The name was to reflect that this was the same basic pistol that was used in government service.

Why do the new rail guns say "Government Model" on the slide? Probably because they originally said "Rail Gun" and so many people called and wrote Colt to say "Man, that's DUMB" that Colt decided to change it.

Auto426

I wonder why it has the 'Government Model' on the side.

It refers to the gun's configuration. Full size 5" barrel on a full length frame = Government, 4.25" barrel on a full length frame = Commander, etc.

I'm going to guess at the "Government Model" stamp and casting about in my mind say that either the USMC or the US Army are still buying these guns from Colt.

Once upon a time 1911's weren't commonly called "1911's". "Government Model" was what Colt called the commercial variant of the 1911. Colt is actually trying to sell Rail Guns to the USMC though. They entered into a competition with Springfield Armory to supply the Marine's newly designated M45 Close Quarters Combat Pistol.

Auto426

Why do the new rail guns say "Government Model" on the slide? Probably because they originally said "Rail Gun" and so many people called and wrote Colt to say "Man, that's DUMB" that Colt decided to change it.

The Rail Gun's had those same roll marks from day one. The left side roll mark is simply the same roll mark the is applied to all of Colt's full size XSE pistols. The right side roll mark is the one that specifies it as a Rail Gun.