My experiment with 10rd. 1911 magazines

BombthePeasants

I bought a couple of these back in December, and I finally got range time to test them out 2 weeks ago. I found that the weight distribution takes much getting used to, and I thought they were harder to recover from shots with than the typical magazine. I'm curious if anyone else has had issues with them?

WESHOOT2

I use Mag-Packs (and one 47D)

I have observed numerous failures with any brand 10-rd mags (at USPSA matches).

RickB

I shot in USPSA Limited 10 division, virtually every weekend from the day the division was instituted until 2010.
I used a five McCormick Power 10 magazines, after trading-in eight of the 10-round "match" magazines.
The match mags didn't work well, at all. The followers collapsed, resulting in feed failures. The Power Mags worked all the time, but they have a peculiar issue with the feedlips spreading. It's not the rolled-in part that positions the cartridge, but the "ears" forward of the lips; they splay out to the extent that the mags won't drop free.
Part of my pre-match ritual was testing them to see if they would drop from slide-down with a round in the mag, and from slidelock with no rounds in the mag. Every weekend, at least one of the mags would fail one of the tests, and I'd have to use a plastic mallet to tap the mags back into parallel shape.
No problems with feeding or lockback.
I shot a bull-barreled longslide pistol for many years, it balanced differently from a 5" bushing-barreled gun but with a fully-loaded 10-rounder in place, the balance may not have been much different.

BigJimP

I shoot Wilson's 10 round 9mm mags ...

in my full sized, Wilson Combat, 1911, Protector model - every week !! ....its a 5" gun I had them make about 7 yrs ago....( chambered in 9mm of course )...:D ...its a very special gun and I practice with it a lot ( I have close to 75,000 rds thru it already - and counting )...

(sorry, couldn't resist )....

HKFan9

I have Chip Mc Power 10's as well and Wilson Combat 10 rounders and never had any issues.

As for balancing, I never noticed a difference when shooting. I would say if its is making it more difficult you should reevaluate your grip as I don't think it should affect firing and recoil much to notice it.

thedudeabides

Never noticed a balance difference, but anything I shoot 10 rounders out of is already a heavy steel gun unloaded.

Maybe if you have an alloy frame gun?

BombthePeasants

The brand I went with is Check-Mate; I really like them. I think my problem was likely me being rusty; it's been a long while since I had any range time.

RickB

I have one Check-Mate 10. I've used it only as a barney mag. Some 10-rounders can be finicky about feeding the top round, due to excessive spring pressure, but the Check-Mate works fine. I prefer the tapered, "hybrid" feedlips on the Check-Mates to any of the parallel feedlip mags.