My experience with the Ruger Alaskan!

dairycreek

I bought a NIB Ruger Alaskan today in 454/45 although I just really don't know why. I'm 69 years old and, here in western Oregon, we just don't seem to have much of a problem with surprise attacks by Grizzlies. Do have a couple of recalcitrant racoons that raid dogf ood off the deck at night and that may be the basis of my deep seated need to have this gun. I do feel well armed to meet the challenge of a racoon!

Took it home and, since I live on a farm and have my own shooting range, immediately took it out to see what it could do. Fired 250 grain, 454 Casull Winchester SuperX with jacketed hollowpoints. Also fired a bunch of 45 Colt rounds I had laying around.

The results? Of course the 45 Colt rounds were a piece of cake to shoot as far as recoil is concerned. It was a real *****cat; easy to shoot and with surprisingly good accuracy. Shot at 10 and 25 yards and hit the target every time. The target was a series of 9" paper plates and putting all the 45 Colt rounds into the plates at the two distances was no problem.

Now for the Casull part of the equation. I had read so much about the bone crunching, hand twisting, elbow spraining recoil that has been reported here on the web that I had some trepidation about shooting the Alaskan with Casull stuff. I was really surprised when shooting the little gun turned out to be not much of a chore at all. Recoil and muzzle flip? Sure, some, but it was very easy to get the gun back on target for the next shot. My son-in-law was shooting his 3" S&W 629 with 240 grain 44 magnum stuff and, really, the difference in recoil between the Alaskan and the 629 was negligible. The Hogue grip that comes with the Alaskan really does a job of cushioning quite well. Once again, our contrived accuracy standard, 9" paper plates at 10 and 25 yards was achieved with no problem.

Conclusions? The Alaskan is a sweet shooting, big bore snubby with substantial (but not terrible) recoil. Accuracy, given its avowed role as a backup gun for bears and enraged racoons, is more than acceptable. It is definitely NOT a scary handgun and I am glad I got mine. FWIW!

rick_reno

Oh yeah - Rob's holster is excellent. I bought another one from Ruger (it might have been an Uncle Mikes). Piece of junk, the gun hung funny in it and I couldn't use it.

Moloch

I was really surprised when shooting the little gun turned out to be not much of a chore at all.

F.....ired 250 grain, 454 Casull Winchester SuperX....

The 250gr Winchester is on the VERY light side of the casull, its like a +p 44mag or a .454casull special. I strongly recommend you to shoot corbon 300grainers! :eek: :D Thats some hot stuff, and that ammo is it worth to call it ''casull''

So lets see some datas:

Win. 250 grain superX: 250 @ 1300fps
Corbon 320 grain @ 1600fps

The guys saying that the Alaskan is a pain to shoot were 300 grainers shooting. I guess...

dairycreek

Hey Moloch:

Thanks for the comments. I am well aware that the Winchester stuff I shot is at the bottom end of the "Casull Scale" when it comes to pain, suffering, and recoil. But, reading the stuff on the net one would come to believe that all Casull ammo results in making the Alaskan "troublesome". That's just not the case as I found out. I have asked our local gun store to order me a couple of boxes of the 300 grain stuff and then - let's see what kind of a story I will tell then.

Bullrock

dairycreek

I enjoyed reading your post, thanks!!!:D There are no Griz in my neck of the woods, but I have enraged racoon around all the time.

Some of those furry critters have no fear...;)

Moloch

I have asked our local gun store to order me a couple of boxes of the 300 grain stuff and then - let's see what kind of a story I will tell then.

Hello dairycreek,

look at that pic (Gunblast Author Jeff Quinn), looks like recoil is very harsh with hot stuff and the alaskan. :eek:

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Ruger-SRHAlaskan454/MVC-020F.jpg

He even tested some 360 grainer @1219 fp/s.

However, have fun and post a report after shooting the hot casull ammo! :)

rick_reno

I've seen those pictures and I don't know how you get that gun to recoil like that. Most of the recoil is straight back - I suspect the grips do that. I've got some old ammo I got from Freedom Arms in the late 80's (260 gr and 300 gr loads) - they used to sell ammo and they're serious full power loads. When I shoot them in my Alaska I don't get the muzzle flip Quinn showed in his pictures, it's not even close.

nwobhm

I fire the hottest 454 Corbon out there and I don't think the recoil is much worse than a hot 7.5" 44 mag. Have to remember that the 454 isn't burning all the powder in the short bbl.

dairycreek

SOG/MACV

Nah! I have some hills and mountains in my way towards Banks. The county offices in Hillsboro are tempting though.

Socrates

Diarycreek:
Save your hands. NO reason to use those loads, in that gun.
First off, heavy bullets, at about 1000 fps are VERY effective.
Loading faster then that is just plain stupid. Animals you shoot aren't going to know the difference, can't second shot as fast, and, no matter what you do, you can't turn a .454 into a .480/475, or .500.

S

dairycreek

Socrates

You are probably right. But I must give the heavy stuff a try at least once. Your assessment of bullet weight, speed, and animal kill potential is right on - no doubt about that. But I was never known to be really smart. Just got to give it a try:eek:

Socrates

Dairycreek:
From Tim Sundles at Buffalobore, known for some of the hotter ammo around:

"The .454 Casull is one cartridge that BBA does not load to it's full pressure limit. When loaded to it's full pressure potential the .454 Casull can become unreliable and unpleasant to shoot. At upper pressure levels, heavy bullets tend to jump crimp - tying up the cylinder. (wouldn't this be great in an emergency) Also, fired brass can stick in the chambers. BBA feels that a 360 gr. bullet (or 325 gr. bullet at 1525 fps) at 1425 fps is still very powerful, comfortable to shoot, and TOTALLY RELIABLE. At these levels, these bullets give up nothing in killing performance.?"

I just got done shooting 325's at 1450 out of my seville, along with some 500 JRH, 440's at 1000 fps,450 Nitro Express 2, .500 Nitro express 570 grains at 2015 fps, and, full house 375 H&H weatherby loads, but, I don't want to bore you with the details. OH, forgot the .510 Linebaugh MAX, 440 grains at 1350 fps. That said, the .45's are more of a handful, and less effective, then the .500 JRH 440's at 1000 fps. Pretty much the consensus is the extra 400 fps goes unnoticed by game, but, the bullet weight does not.

S