My Employer Bought Me a Canik TP9SF

rpseraph

I won an award at work and it came with $400 in gift cards to Cabela’s. I have heard some not-so-great things about buying guns at Cabela’s, but gift cards are gift cards! I waited for a good sale, but nothing came. I happened to see their price match policy included website matches. Well on their approved list of websites was MidwayUSA, which we all know recently started selling firearms! Well the Canik TP9SF was on sale for $101.00 less than Cabelas. I live chatted a Cabela’s rep, confirmed they would match the price, she called me and I gave her the gift card number. That was on a Tuesday night. The gun was delivered to Cabela’s Thursday morning, ready for pickup.

Well Cabela’s is 50 miles away, so I went on Saturday to pick it up… The pickup experience was pretty good. I went to the gun counter and they handed me the gun about 15 minutes later. I had heard bad things about it, so I was pleasantly surprised.

Went to the range on Sunday to try it out. Wow! The trigger is crisp and clean with a short reset. I fed it brass, hollow-points, and aluminum. 0 issues. I didn’t have any steel on hand to try it. Best of all, it is more accurate than I am, for sure!
szKgd1e.jpg

8UjGsYs.jpg

1st shots, 10 yds.

Overall, a great experience. I’ve had my eye on the TP9SF for a while. I rented it at the range, and I shot another that a friend has. I love the feeling in hand, the trigger feels GREAT, and I have seen a ton of great reviews on YouTube.
mAdhPQ5.jpg

sFX98OQ.jpg

7JOXGqu.jpg

Platinum Core:
Yeah sorry, trying to resize the images :)
The grip angle feels natural to me, more 1911, less Glock. The texturing, after only a couple hundred rounds, feels aggressive enough to stick, but not obnoxious. I'm currently using the stock backstrap (I think it is the smaller of the two) I may try the bigger one.

Last edited:

PlatinumCore16

Holy massive pictures batman.

Looks good, I have also heard mixed reviews about them, but I'm glad to hear that yours has worked well thus far.

What are your thoughts on the grip? (angle feel, texture, etc.)

Model12Win

Holy batman, batman!! :rolleyes:

When will that stupid, unoriginal meme end?? :confused:

OP: GREAT looking pistol and you can't beat the price!! :D

44caliberkid

I think a lot of the bad experiences at the Cabelas gun counter were during the Obama fire sale days. Those guys were so darn busy, you're bound to eventually get impatient. Saturday's and Sunday's customers were lined up 12 - 15 deep in front of each sales rep.

Rangerrich99

Nice. One of my handgun instructors uses that same gun (pretty sure, it's a Canik in 9mm) during classes.

My company got me a refrigerator magnet. Which very slowly slides down the door.

Kirosha

I think being busy plays a large role in poor experiences, but my local national chains also like to have inexperienced employees sell firearms. It might be particularly poor of me to get upset when you call a magazine a clip or a pistol fully semiautomatic. I might be nitpicking when you demonstrate how to use the front serrations of a pistol by putting your entire palm in front of the muzzle.

There were many more things that I listened to and watched from this particular employee that bothered me, severely. And I might have called him out on a few things just to ensure the new gun owners didn't shoot themselves over.

Taking a body off the street and sending them to a firearms department with little or possibly no training (maybe believing the new employee when they say they know guns) is a big negative experience for me.

rpseraph

I can't imagine even seeing those sharpie bullseyes at 10 yards
Yeah, I could only find a green Sharpie, not the best, haha.

My company got me a refrigerator magnet. Which very slowly slides down the door.
I laughed and laughed... I pictured it too, hilarious.

I continue to dry fire it in the basement while watching TV, loving the gun. It is super comfortable in hand. Back to the range this weekend hopefully :)

Guyand

Congrats. The Canik really does have a nice trigger, doesn't it!!

Glad it shoots well. I have read a lot of reports where they shoot well but very low.

Had to laugh about the company that gave a magnet. Where I work, they offer a pocket knife to people who reach 35 years of employment. Most of us are wondering if it is really wise to give a knife to anyone who has worked here for 35 years. :)

Lexspeed

I am retired and work at a gun shop on a very part-time basis and had the opportunity to handle the ones we sell. I think they are a great bargain if you want a decent range toy that comes with a nice array of accessories in the box. But, if you compare the pistol with other range/target pistols, the trigger is just ok. The pistol is still a great deal and it raises my opinion of Turkish made guns.