My DRC custom Mini-14

Dave3006

I just received back two of my Mini-14s that DRC customized. The workmanship is awesome! And, the test targets he shot at 50 yards are sub one inch! He said he just used cheap mil surplus for the test. I will take them out this weekend. Man, the trigger on both guns feel awesome.

I will post again after I shoot the gun. Dave at DRC is a pleasure to deal with. I can not recommend him enough.

P.S.

I am only doing this to my Mini because I am in California and can't buy a decent carbine. I am trying to make the best of a mediocre weapon system.

Attachments

• mini1.jpg
    mini1.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 316

fastang50

What model sight/hider is that? Is it welded or pined on? Barrel length from the back of a closed chamber to the end of the brake is how long? I'd like to know what lenght it is for how it looks, which is very fine I might add. I'm curious since I'm considering the same mod to my mini. Any other mods than the apparent stock change, shortened barrel and trigger job?

Dave3006

It is a Choate flash suppressor made into a muzzle brake. The overall length is 16.25" of the barrel. The downside is that you loose velocity. The upside is that the gun becomes more accurate. I was shooting paterns in the standard configuration.

A shorter barrel is a stiffer barrel, but is it the same barrel or did he just shorten the original factory barrel and permanently attach a muzzlebrake? Please let us know how it shoots.

Do a slow string for optimal results.

Do a string of steady, rapid fire to find out if the barrel becomes a wet noodle and sling shots all over.

Thanks!

Dave3006

He shortened the original barrel, refinished it, and smoothed the trigger. The cost was $175. The targets he sent me were sub one inch at 50 yards. I am going to do my own test this weekend slow and rapid fire to look for the effects of barrel heating.

Preacherman

Dave, please forgive my ignorance, but I've never heard of DRC. What do the initials stand for? Do they have a Web site? What Mini-14 packages do they offer? Thanks in advance for the info.

Glock40

I took the two Mini-14s to the range this morning to test accuracy.

THE RESULTS WERE INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!

I set up a target at 25 yards and fired South African and Wolf ammo off the bench. It was 6:30 am and just getting light out. I consistently shot 1/2" groups on both guns! (iron sights). I had several cloverleaves.

Then, I took each gun and put about 40 rounds down range within a minute or two. The barrel was too hot to touch. I sat down again and shot groups. I got 1/2" groups again. AND, most importantly, the POI did not change at all. Zero change. I was hitting the bulls eye.

I don't know what else to say. The accuracy, POI shift, and trigger were my biggest complaints against this gun. Now, all three problems are gone.

http://www.drccustomgunsights.com/

MiniZ

Congratulations Dave3006! If I didn't have a GB model, I would be contacting DRC myself. Your intitial range work sounds like you have a winner, and at a lot lower price than an Accuracy Systems conversion.