My deer hunting story.

CarJunkieLS1

This morning was my first day to ever deer hunt. Here is my story:

Myself and my "mentor" Brett were out at his hunting place about 5:10 this morning. We cross the gate to the hunting spot and walk about 1/2 mile to the shooting house and by 5:30 we were in the house waiting on daylight. It was a COLD morning my phone said 22*F with zero wind. Daylight comes and about 7:00 am I see a coyote coming across the field. The coyote has no idea we were even there (I guess we did something right) he is trotting across the field and stops at 3:00 to my position I'm guessing about 150-175 yards out.

I ask Brett if I need to shoot him and he said that if it wasn't so early in the morning then I could, but it would ruin our chance for a deer. As much as I wanted to he was right so I lowered my rifle off the coyotes shoulder and clicked back on the saftey. The coyote after a minute just trotted off into the woods never to be seen again. The rush I felt was unbelievable the few moments I had that crosshair trained on the coyote, and I can't wait to shoot a deer.

That coyote was the only thing we saw all morning. This story isn't particularly exciting but for that brief moment it was. Hope ya'll enjoyed it. I sure did living it and I had a great time on my first hunt and I will be trying again in the morning. I can't wait.

Deja vu

I remember that feeling. It was very exciting! Now what I do to feel the same is take the kids hunting. I kind of like vicariously through others when hunting.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Good times. :)

Sounds like a waste to sit in the woods for 1 1/2 hours before daylight though. 30 minutes is plenty, especially in the cold. That's an hour you could have been there after light instead of before.

I'm convinced that deer almost totally disregard gun shots. I've watched countless stand there like nothing was happening when a shot was so close it scared the heck out of me. They don't even flinch and continue whatever direction they were headed, even right toward the shot.

These days, I call coyotes target #1. I'm coyote hunting and will shoot a deer if I get the chance.

CarJunkieLS1

It was very exciting for sure but it got light here a little after 6:00. Well light enough to shoot at least but didn't see the coyote until 7:00.

I was on Bretts hunting property and he told me not to shoot so I didn't shoot. I think that Brett thinks the 150-175 yard shot was a little long for me to attempt. Although I am 100% confident in my shots out to 200yds. My rifle is more than adequate out to that range and is only .91 inches low at 200yds. Oh well I had a blast and can't to try again tomorrow morning.

shortwave

In case you didn't know...you're hooked. :p:D

Probably won't sleep much tonight anticipating what you will do when that shot does present itself.

That's ok, we've all been there.

Our 7 day shotgun season starts this coming Monday. I've been deer hunting for 40+ yrs, hunted in several states and have killed somewhere's between 125-150 deer. And I sit here tonight so excited I can hardly wait till Monday.

If that feeling ever stops, I'll hang up deer hunting.

Enjoy your new found addiction. And one day, you will be the experienced hunter coaching a newbie. ;)

Last edited:

beeenbag

Just don't do what I did after I harvested my first deer. I was 12 or 13 years old, took the shot, seen I had made a good hit and was so excited I threw my gun down in the leaves and ran to the deer. Took me a little bit to find my rifle after gathering my wits.

markm_04

Glad to hear you had a great experience, even if you went home empty handed. That feeling is very addicting and I get excited every time I am in that situation as well.

I also like the fact that you had the decency to follow someone else's wish while you were hunting on their property, that shows a lot of respect and will go a long ways for you.

Whenever you do bag that first deer, that is another feeling all in itself, one that cannot be described and it will continue to pull you back into the woods year after year.

As someone has already said "A bad day in the woods is better than a good/any day in the office."