My custom Detonics CombatMaster

WC145

This is my Georgia/Ahern generation CombatMaster. I just got it back from my friends at Deitrich Gunsmithy in Otis, ME. I had them break all the edges as the gun was very sharp all over, undercut the trigger guard, recontour the mainspring housing and blend it into the frame, bob the hammer, install a Fusion carbon fiber trigger, tune the action, cut an 11deg crown on the muzzle, and finish it with a bright polish on everything but the top strap. In keeping with the subtle reshaping of the grip frame and mainspring housing, and to match the contrasting black sights and trigger, I replaced the original grips with a set of thin black Alumagrips.

Here's a couple of before and after pics-

14863.jpg

SDC11372.JPG

14862.jpg

SDC11371.JPG

WC145

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

very sharp...what holster are you going to use?
I just decided on this project a month ago (I wanted it ready for a big Mother's Day family reunion we're going to) so there wasn't time to order up an appropriate rig for it. It will be riding in a Safariland 568, kind of generic, I know, but it looks pretty good, carries and conceals well, and holds the gun securely. I will probably order a carved concealment rig from Black Hills Leather in the near future. They made me matching leather for a full size 1911 and a S&W 586 L-Comp and did a great job so I trust them.

Here's a pic of the gun in the Safariland holster-

SDC11378.JPG

jwalker497

Wow, turned out awesome!!

I always loved the Combat Master. By the way, I have always wondered if there is a grip safety on the combat master. I can't really tel from any pic I have ever seen. Can you enlighten me??

Thanks and it looks awesome!! They dont make these anymore, correct?

WC145

UPDATE - Range Report

Lost track of this thread and just ran across it again and thought I'd update it.
I've been living with the gun for a couple of months now and I'm very pleased with the way it turned out but I have made a couple of changes. The Fusion trigger didn't fit as well as I'd like and I ended up having Deitrich's change it out for the 3-hole one that was in the gun to begin with. I had them coat it black to match the grips and sights. Also, the trigger pull was crisp and clean but quite a bit heavier than the other 1911s I carry so I had that lightened while they had it apart. Now it breaks clean right at 4.5lbs, a big improvement.

So far I've shot it with a couple of different brands of 230gr FMJ as well as Hornady TAP and Winchester Ranger T 230gr JHP +P. It has functioned perfect with all of them except for one original mag that caused several FTFs so I'll be changing out the springs with Wolff +10%. Accuracy is surprisingly good, better than before any work was done but the trigger probably accounts for a lot of that. I didn't do any bullsey testing from a rest but I had no trouble with fist size groups at 15yds off hand. Recoil is stout with the +P compared to my full size 1911 but double and triple taps are manageable, it comes back more than up and you feel it in the web of your hand. I need to chrono some loads and see what I lose in velocity compared to the 5" barrel.

All in all it has worked out very, very well. So well, in fact, that I'm in the market for another one like it and I'm going to have the exact same thing done to it except it will be bead blasted for everday carry. The only problem is that the Georgia guns are hard to find, if any of you guys know of one (or a StreetMaster) please let me know.

I always loved the Combat Master. By the way, I have always wondered if there is a grip safety on the combat master. I can't really tell from any pic I have ever seen. Can you enlighten me??

Thanks and it looks awesome!! They dont make these anymore, correct?
They do not have a grip safety, but I think it's pinned because you can install a different grip safety and have it made functional.

They do not make these anymore although there is another new Detonics company in Illinois. I don't know if they're actually producing guns yet or not. They have a website that shows new guns but where the Georgia factory was true to the original design there are numerous changes and the new guns don't look anything like the originals.

shortwave

WC145,

I'm glad your pistol shoots as well as it looks.

There just isn't anything like having a ccw that fits all your personal criteria for fitting that bill.

It's beautiful....and you've got me thinking:cool:

Thanks for the update.

Sgt Pepper

Wow, that is absolutely beautiful work! If you do not mind me asking, how much did they charge to break all of the edges and then refinish? What was their turnaround time? I have a Colt New Agent on which I would like to have this done. Thanks.

WC145

Wow, that is absolutely beautiful work! If you do not mind me asking, how much did they charge to break all of the edges and then refinish? What was their turnaround time? I have a Colt New Agent on which I would like to have this done. Thanks.

Thanks! You'd have to call Dietrich's to get an idea of price as my bill was not broken down, I just paid a total for all of the work. Also, my gun is stainless and was polished when they were done breaking the edges. I assume your gun would need to be refinished in something similar to the original and I'm sure the cost would be different. Give them a call @ 207-537-2527 and tell them you saw Scott's Detonics and they'll know what you're talking about. http://www.dietrichgunsmithy.com/

michael t

I have one of the Washington state made pistols . its a great pistol but I have replace with a Defender for carry. We must all thank Detonics they lead the way with the compact size 1911 pistols Their the inventors of the duel recoil spring and more. They broke the ground. That today others follow.

WC145

What did you do with the original grips?

They're in a zip lock baggy (with the screws and bushings) inside an envelope in a cabinet on the shelf where I keep all of my spare 1911 grips.:)