My Colt Combat Commander XSE

DieHard06

While at the local gun shop in December I spotted a Colt Combat Commander XSE for $725. I immediately put it on lay away and saved up enough cash to pay for it at the end of January. This is my first 1911, and I was very excited. My first trip to the range I put 100+ rounds through it. It worked fine, but the recoil was awful, and I wasn't very accurate with it. I chaulk up the accuracy to me and the fact that I learned to shoot with Glocks, but my hand was sore for a week afterwards.

My second time I took it along with my Glock 21SF. The Glock had almost no recoil, and I shot it very well. Took the Colt, and had the same problems I had before. My hand was sore after just 8 shots. I tightened my grip as much as I possibly could, but it didn't help. I put in another mag and it jammed four rounds through. Then the firing pin plunger fell out and the firing pin stop came loose out the back. I lost the firing pin plunger, and took the gun back to the shop. They had a part, and I put the gun back together tonight.

My questions are, do most 1911's have a lot of recoil? Is there anything I can do about the recoil on my gun? Do I just need to shoot it for a while to get used to it? Are there any people out there who are not 1911 fans and why? Right now I am thinking about selling it and just sticking with the guns that work for me because I shoot them a lot better and like using them better. Although, the Colt is the best looking gun I have ever seen.

Last edited:
I am a bit befuddled by the whole post. I am having a hard time understanding the fact that you are claiming the Glock 21SF (which I have shot) recoils less than the Colt XSE (which I own). You are saying the gun that is considerably lighter and has the disadvantage of hard plastic grips recoils less than the heavier gun while shooting the same ammunition? I know guns feel different to different people, but I am finding that a bit a hard to swallow. About the only reason I could fathom is the wider grip frame of the Glock might be spreading the recoil out a bit, but from my experiences that was not the case.

RickB

I have a Lightweight Commander, and while it recoils "more" than a Government Model weighing twelve ounces more, it's not painful or objectionable. If you notice a radical difference in the amount of recoil when comparing your Commander to your Glock, I'd think there's something wrong with the Commander. I rarely shoot more than 200 rounds in a session, but I've never suffered any pain or discomfort in doing so. Is it a new gun?

DieHard06

I am a bit befuddled by the whole post. I am having a hard time understanding the fact that you are claiming the Glock 21SF (which I have shot) recoils less than the Colt XSE (which I own). You are saying the gun that is considerably lighter and has the disadvantage of hard plastic grips recoils less than the heavier gun while shooting the same ammunition? I know guns feel different to different people, but I am finding that a bit a hard to swallow. About the only reason I could fathom is the wider grip frame of the Glock might be spreading the recoil out a bit, but from my experiences that was not the case.

Yeah, I was surprised. I thought it would have less recoil because of the weight. It had considerably more recoil and "push" than the Glock. Perhaps, I am just weird. Has anyone switched from plastic to a 1911 and had trouble?

I have a Lightweight Commander, and while it recoils "more" than a Government Model weighing twelve ounces more, it's not painful or objectionable. If you notice a radical difference in the amount of recoil when comparing your Commander to your Glock, I'd think there's something wrong with the Commander. I rarely shoot more than 200 rounds in a session, but I've never suffered any pain or discomfort in doing so. Is it a new gun?

Yes, it is a new gun. Not so much pain as just soreness between my thumb and my index finger where the grip safety hits me on its way back. If it is the gun and not me I would sure like to know.

Kreyzhorse

I don't understand it other than perhaps the Glock just fits your hand better and that is effecting your felt recoil?

Personally, I think a 1911's recoil is pretty mild compared to the light weight "plastic" guns.

Jason_G

Has anyone switched from plastic to a 1911 and had trouble?
Just the opposite. My accuracy greatly improved after switching from plastics to the 1911 platform and getting my initial grip and trigger pull sorted out. It is also comfortable to shoot. I can no longer get much satisfaction out of shooting my poly guns. I just don't shoot them as accurately. I've always been a "never sell a gun" guy, but I am honestly thinking about selling all of my hi-cap plastics to fund more steel. No real difference in recoil to me, and certainly nothing painful.

Jason

RickB

Yes, it is a new gun. Not so much pain as just soreness between my thumb and my index finger where the grip safety hits me on its way back. If it is the gun and not me I would sure like to know.

Colt uses an odd grip safety that most refer to as a "ducktail" to differentiate it from the common, upswept "beavertail" found on most 1911s. Most people don't like the ducktail, while a minority prefer it. Could it be there are just some sharp edges on the frame or grip safety that are irritating your hand? That still doesn't explain your perception that the Commander recoils more than your Glock.

schmeky

I would suggest some Hogue rubber finger groove grips as a start. I hated the duckbill grip saftey (that was on my Colt Commander) and was uncomfortable when held with a high grip. I can see the saftey being part of the uncomfortable part of shooting this 1911; mine dug into my hand. This part I understand.

Get a Wilson drop in grip saftey, it repositions the hand and distributes recoil differently. Why Colt went with the grip saftey they use is a mystery to me.

Pico

Colt XSE

This is a terrific handgun. I fell in love with it a couple of gun shows ago. It would be my first choice in a moderate priced 1911, plus it is a COLT. Recoil is a subjective thing, like how fast your car is... relative to what you shot or drove previously. Keep shooting it, maybe with some different loads.

Pico

michael t

Ive always thought the 1911 recoil fairly mild I like the Colt duck bill but I am one of a few I belive you might be one that needs to have a change in grip safetys Also what are you shooting as far as ammo

CDH

I can't tell from the OP if the XSE is the LightWeight version or not, but if it's the LightWeight, the recoil will be more noticeable.
However, the LW is meant for SD carry (that's why it's light), so a higher felt recoil is not a problem on a pistol that is carried more often than shot.

Having said that, I have both a stainless Colt Commander and it's cousin, the LightWeight XSE Commander, and while I do feel an obvious difference in recoil from essential identical pistols other than their weight, I don't find either to be objectionable.

Double Impact

Hello
I have carried a glock 21sf and the glock30 for years. I shot them both very well and thought the recoil was the smoothest I have ever shot in a 45ACP.
I have been carrying a full size 1911 for a oh couple months or so. I switch between a S&W and a Springfield. I now shoot them as well as the glocks. The recoil is actually smoother and much faster for second/third shot line ups.

Also if you give it time you'll get spoiled shooting a 1911.
I took out my G21sf yesterday after a couple of months just shooting the 1911's and I couldn't shoot it worth a darn. The trigger on the 1911's will grow on you!!!. If you can get your 1911 to be as dependable as the gun you are used to carrying you won't ever go back. They become easy to conceal because they are thin and the weight becomes unnoticeable. Where the glock may be a little lighter it's much wider and pulls out from the hip more,the 1911's for me tend to ride closer to the body. I hope I made some since to you. Just give it time!:D

Loupgarou

I've shot Colt 1911s throughout my life as a shooter (30+ years) and I only had problems with the recoil when I first shot my Series 70 back in 1979. The web of my hand came away bruised (a bit of a black and blue shade) by the end of my first range session. Apparently my shooting hand toughened up, as I became increasingly comfortable shooting that gun. It was my most accurate gun. At present, I own a Glock G30 and a full house Colt XSE. Both are extremely accurate, although the G30 has the edge on that. And both are recoil-comfortable to shoot. Just give yourself a chance to become acquainted with your gun and make sure that you have a good snug grip on it. Good Shooting!

kiov

houge rubber finger-grooved grips make a huge difference. change the grip saftey too if you need to--that's a matter of preference.

i switched from the commander to the full sized govt. it shoots smoother and has less recoil.

DieHard06

Thanks guys for all the advice. I shot it today, and it went better. I still felt that that Glock was smoother, but it was almost even this time. Also, it didn't hurt so much. I think I will give it more time. I do like how thin it is. I don't think I would ever conceal carry a Glock 21 or even a Glock 30. I have a nice holster for the Colt and it conceals well. Oh, and it is a the stainless steal version not the lightweight, but I don't mind the weight when carrying. Thanks again.

I always felt that my G21 had less recoil than my 1911's. I surmised that it was due to the flex in the frame of the Glock as opposed to my rigid frame 1911's. Also the grip on the Glock is wide, providing more surface area to "disperse" the force into a wider area of your hand. Just my thoughts....

ILLINI

Try a fresh recoil spring. When I changed mine out it made a big difference. Wolf Springs is the way to go...Illini

DieHard06

Those were my thoughts too electrichellfire. I feel like the Colt doesn't really absorb any of the recoil. That is a good idea about the spring. I will look into that.