My broken Taurus, what to do?

Well, as I've posted before, my PT1911 was double feeding brand new out of the box. I sent it back to the factory and they replaced my out of tune extractor for another out of tune one.

My first test after getting it back ($40 shipping) had the same results, double feeding. So, I took it upon myself to tune it myself.

After doing so it ran like a champ. Until today.

I was testing out my new cast bullets when I noticed that I couldn't find the brass. It was no longer in a nice little pile to my right.

Another magazine rendered some failures to extract and a double feed. Hmm, I thought maybe my bullets weren't seated far enough.

For the record it was 5.1gr of Tightgroup behind a 230LRN. I was using once fired Federal brass with a small pistol primer. (yes it was SPP!) I even clocked it at 850 fps out of my crono. (five shot average)

Anyway, it wasn't till I got the pistol home and started cleaning it till I found the real problem. My extractor hook was broken off.

I might have fired 500 rounds at most I'd say since I fixed it the first time.

So my question to you all is what to do? Should I send the extractor back and get a new one, or invest in a Wilson Combat part?

TaurusExtractor.jpg

RamItOne

Live and learn then move on.

All guns break, had an ongoing issue with a $1k sig 1911

Replace the part, Wilson combat is a good place to start

Hansam

Almost the same thing happened to me with my PT1911. The difference was that my extractor broke after just 80 rounds.

I just invested in a Wilson's extractor. It fit almost perfectly into the gun and with just a minor bit of tuning the gun is running like a champ now.

Forget about Taurus' customer service. They're hit and miss and frankly I wouldn't trust the "repairs" that Taurus makes on their semi-autos now.

Adamantium

I would think the smart thing to do is buy an extractor like Wilson, Ed Brown, etc. But why not call Taurus customer service and see if you can't get them to ship you one for free? Keep the extra around as a back up.

Dino.

Wow, that almost looks like "pot metal" at the break. :eek:
I wouldn't even bother contacting Taurus unless you want another just like it.
Order one from Wilson Combat and rest easy. ;)

TenRing

Others have given great advice on buying a new extractor from a more reputable source. That's exactly what I would do. In addition to this, check out the rest of the gun.

That extractor steel is a lot more granular than I woud expect. It appears to be low quality MIM or sintered metal with no case hardening.

Check out the rest of frame, barrel, rails and control levers to see if they are made the same way. This might help you decide whether your pistol is a keeper or not.

cheezhed

I went with the nighthawk in my commander and it works well. I don't think that you are but I was shooting at my range and there was a guy there who was putting a round in the pipe and letting the slide fly and then he would put in a full magazine. The extractor didn't didn't last long. I don't remember the brand of 1911 he was using and I didn't inquire as to how long he had been doing that but that taught me a lesson.

Check out the rest of frame, barrel, rails and control levers to see if they are made the same way. This might help you decide whether your pistol is a keeper or not.

Yup, this pistol is 100% crap-ola!

I don't think I'll sell it because I've already put in hours polishing bits to try and make it look not so cheap. Surely it ruined any value this gun had left, but I still want to get it running again.

I think after the fix it will be my official beater gun. Something to take out in the rain or toss in the glove box. It's kind of a shame. Not too long ago I paid over $600 bucks for it. That's cheap for a 1911 but it's still $600! :(

At least it gives me a reason to buy another 1911 though. Maybe I'll save up for a nice S&W E series gun. They look pretty fancy.

xtriggerman

I had a friend drop off a new PT1911 for a tune up cause he couldnt get it to group. It had a terrible inward bend (kink) in the barrel making the bore ID egg shaped. I sent it to Taurus & waited 4 months for them to send out another, with monthly call reminders. The new one looked like a re-sandblasted used one that had the barrel OD coming out of the chamber OD considerably off center. By that time I had already put a Ed Brown barrel in the PT and had it shooting fairly well. The bolt face on the slide had a bad casting "lift" that needed to be ground out since it was putting a hell of a deep dig in the brass head stamp. Too bad about these guns cause there is potential for a nice gun but T is not doing much in QC.