My AR-15 Video

OlympicArmsFan

Hey everyone I finaly got to shoot my AR-15 kit gun. This is a full upper from Black Thorn ( www.akpartskits.com ) and an Essential Arms ( www.essentialarms.com ) lower receiver. I didnt have any trouble with the AR it ran with wolf ammo no problems. The only problem of the day besides cold was with my camera not wanting to zoom or stop recording lol.

The AR was fun to shoot the recoild didnt feel as much as I did with my AK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuPfgafB9VQ

22_Shooter

Be careful with that thing. Blackthorne is one of the many names of Hesse. They are known for less-than-stellar QC and products.

Have fun with it, but be careful.

OlympicArmsFan

I've had that jacket sincer I was 17 and now im in my late 30s so the jacket cant be beat and it was cold as hell.

The AR did what it was ment to do and I dont see a problem with it. I had it checked out by a gunsmith so its all good. I did clean it but with wolf ammo I belive i Need to clean it again.

jpwilly

I shoot wolf in mine. 1000's of rounds The chrome lining keeps the coatings from sticking but they can build up. I do clean after every session. I've had one issue (stuck case) shooting Wolf due to the lacquer coating. I say shoot the wolf for range sessions if you want. I also have a nice stock of brass case ammo for other needs witch is also more accurate/consistent.

22_Shooter

The AR did what it was ment to do and I dont see a problem with it. I had it checked out by a gunsmith so its all good.

That's all fine and dandy, but when a company changes its name countless times, due to ruining whatever current name they go by by putting out inferior products, it raises some flags.

Like I said, have fun with it, but be careful, and don't bet your life on it.

OlympicArmsFan

I dont bet my life on the AR I bet it on my AK lol. The AR was my first and my first build so it was more to see if I can do it. I do have some wolf ammo I belive might be out of spec as it wont let the mag lock into the mag well. I thougt well it might be the mag so I took the ammo out and tried all the mags I have and it wont let it.

The cleaning I really want to do again to make sure I really get it clean and to also for practice.

azredhawk44

At 2:37 your cameraman pans down range and demonstrates that you were shooting at a target on the opposite side of a road.

Here in AZ and in many other states... that's a huge no-no. You never shoot across a road or demonstrable path.

If that violates your local laws, I'd suggest pulling the video.

Also... get yourself to a marksmanship class of some sort. The trigger slap going on there was pretty rough.

Glad you're having fun... now get some training and safety courses!

OlympicArmsFan

This is on private land and its a private road. This is not a main road and im using the parking area for my families house.

I had four places to chose to shoot and this one was the best one that day due to some hunters coming in using a cabin of ours. I didnt want to take the chance of shooting into the hill behind me where the hunters where staying. Also the other two areas would have been shooting in their directions as well.

If you look my finger never went on the trigger till I was ready to shoot and took the safty off. I always keep finger off triggers. Tell me where I was not being safe and I will review that and do it right from here on out.

iamkris

Also... get yourself to a marksmanship class of some sort.

If you look my finger never went on the trigger till I was ready to shoot and took the safty off.

I think he's referring to the fact that you take your finger off the trigger after every shot. No big deal but if you are shooting for speed and accuracy, there is no reason to do that. The proper way is to only let the trigger move forward to the point of sear reset. If you are just turning money into noise, no big deal. As you make the journey through marksmanship, good trigger control will help a lot.