My Aimpoint CompML2 Red Dot Isn't...

Jaywalker

...a dot.

At least mine isn't a dot the way I'd think of a circular dot, or that Aimoint shows in its ads. It's more of a jagged splash, with indistinct outlines. Yeah, it will still work the way it should, but I'm wondering about whether this is the way it should appear.

It'll be mounted on my Bushy A3 flattop on a Rock River Arms rail that has built in sights. The only thing left is to finalize the ring mounts. I have a set of Springfield Arms rings, but I'm not crazy about the top clamp setup.

One other thing about the Aimpoint that I didn't expect was the red glow when the "dot" gets too far to the right. The glow floods the tube starting from when the dot is even a little to the right - when it's all the way right, the glow spreads over the whole tube. I can't believe this is normal. It's distracting.

Jaywalker

Pthfndr

The "star" shape of the dot is normal. Becomes more pronounced with the larger MOA dots and / or brightness. Turn you intensity down a bit. Once you use it a while you won't notice the shape.

NVCDL

Do you have astigmatism? I have a bit of assigmatism and the only time red dots look round to me is a sunny day. On an indoors range or low light they appear distorted.

Coltdriver

I put a propoint on my bushmaster AR15 the other night during a cleaning session.

I wear my reading glasses when I am cleaning, the glasses have that transitional lens.

When I would look throught the propoint with the glasses, the dot would be very large and jagged.

When I took the glasses off the dot would be a fine red speck.

For a while I thought the propoint was broken (duh):eek: Then I figured out what I was doing wrong.

uglygun

my Trijicon Reflex used to look out of round to me until I finally became accustomed to it, sounds wierd but I think my eyes were just playing tricks on me.

Now I've got an Aimpoint Comp M on my AR and if I kick the brightness up too high the dot starts to look way out of whack, I figure it's just due to so much light being reflected back at my eye. I use mine at two clicks down from max. brightness and it is much more acceptable and circular looking.

Jaywalker

NVCDL asked:
Do you have astigmatism? I have a bit of assigmatism and the only time red dots look round to me is a sunny day.
Embarrassed, I reply that I had not considered looking through the sight with my glasses on. I use my glasses to improve my distance vision, and with the sight in my hand, I didn't need distance vision, right? With glasses, that must have some astigmatism correction, the "dot" is much more dot-like, and significantly smaller. Thanks.

Any comments on the red glare that takes over the tube? With the sight oriented so that the lenscovers are at the top, there are two glare phenomena. The first is a faint hair-line reflection of the prism stretching from about 10 o'clock to about 5 o'clock. Again, it's very faint, and not a problem.

The problem comes in with the second phenomenon, the glare. As I move my head slightly up and to the right, with or without the unit's power on, a red reflective glare appears at the lower left. As I move a little more, the glare parallels the hair line until it completely fills the sight tube. Since it happens both when the power's on and not on, it's not an internal light reflecting. It appears to be related to inadequate air-to-surface anti-reflective coatings. I wonder whether everyone has this problem, or mine missed a process or two in production as Nanaimo Barr suggests.

Jaywalker