My 50 BMG Build

44caliberkid

Ordered one of these last summer.
http://www.ligameccorp.com/RAPTOR_50_29_BARREL_p/upr-50-29.htm
Always wanted a 50 BMG since the first Barrett’s came out. No way I could afford the semi auto and the latest iterations in bolt actions are still $4K and up.
While searching online I found this 50 BMG AR upper. A lot of the 50AR uppers got classified by the BATF as firearms and are required to go through an FFL. This was mainly because if the design used a spring loaded striker, it could be tripped without being mounted to a lower, and fired. That would make a great Darwin Award video. But the Raptor upper only has a floating firing pin, like any AR, and is fired by the hammer in the AR lower, so no different than any AR upper and can be shipped right to your porch.
Needing a dedicated single shot AR lower I went with an 80% unit from Hell Fire Armory. https://www.hellfirearmory.com/ar-single-shot-80-percent
The Raptor comes with it’s own AR hammer and spring, so I scrounged through the parts bin for a trigger and spring and found a yellow cerocoated one that had been in a colored lower parts kit. Takedown pins are Yankee Hill, stainless with big pull knobs. The safety is mil-spec. No other parts go in the lower, single shot remember, no mag catch or release button. And no buffer, but I did screw on a rifle length buffer tube and Magpul MOE rifle stock. The bolt of the raptor retracts into the buffer tube when you cycle it.
Another dive into the spares and I found a Monstrum Tactical scope 6x24x50 G3 FFP. It came with rings. The bipod is a GG&G , and there’s a Limbsaver medium slip on recoil pad on the stock, the only two items I didn’t have on hand, but arrived in 72 hours courtesy of Optics Planet.
Took it to the range today for 100 yard sight in. Shot four drilled the center of the black. Could have done it in 3, but dialed past my point of aim, just excited. I made sure I had a buddy with me, in case the thing hurt me, and to video.
Does it kick? Sure, but my Winchester Low Wall 45-70, with steel butt plate, hits and hurts way worse. Just a big cushioned push on the shoulder, the muzzle brake does its job. Make sure you have 4 inches minimum eye relief from your scope. Mine does and I didn’t get punched in the eye. The 29 inch barrel puts the blast way out there. And it’s assembled weight of 20 lbs helps too. The manufacturer warns that the 18.5 inch models are a bit more violent.
Tomorrow is still good weather, so I’ll go shoot a group or two.
BTW I’ve got right at $2200 in the whole rig.
Tried to post a pic but the attach file thing won’t show my whole photo library.

Attachments

• 1386AEE4-1842-479C-B407-D2859CCB1F90.jpeg
    1386AEE4-1842-479C-B407-D2859CCB1F90.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

stagpanther

Congrats! I assume you are reloading you're own ammo? How good does the bolt to receiver lock-up look to you? I like BIG cartridges but have always contented myself with 338 lapua magnum, the other big cartridges (like the cheytac family) seem more accurate but are wildly expensive. The 338 LM is VERY accurate and a bargain for you can still get it relatively cheaply.

44caliberkid

I fired four more rounds for group today. Using PMC, which at 2.48 per round is the cheapest 50 BMG you’ll find. I had two rounds in the X, one inch apart, and two fliers in the 8 ring. I called one, knew I moved just when I let it go. Keep in mind I have only fired 8 rounds out of this monster and I don’t generally use scopes, so lots new to me here. The point of impact moved very predictably when I was zeroing the scope, so I have no doubt it shoots were it’s aimed.
I have four brands of ammo. PMC, Privi, Federal, and Hornady. Price in the same order. I probably won’t reload myself, it’s a big cash layout to load one caliber. For now, I’ll test the factory ammo and see what works the best. In a YouTube test, Hornady was predictably the winner, but at $9.95 per round (MSRP, I got some on sale, $6.95 per) it should be. PMC was second and Federal last.
When I cleaned it after the first four rounds, it took 3 wet patches just to get the powder fouling out before I started getting copper. But consider you are burning 10 times the amount of powder over a conventional cartridge, and it makes sense. I’ll be looking for how dirty each brand is too.
I have two pounds of 50 BMG powder that came into my possession via auction miscellaneous boxes. I can probably find someone already set up to load and make a deal with them. I just started loading three other new calibers, so just not for now.
The bolt has two big opposed locking lugs and locks up tight. I’ll try to post some more pics and show the bolt. The bolt body and the head are two separate pieces and the bolt handle screws in through both, holding them together. I like this design over some of the others because in the event you did have a catastrophic failure, the bolt handle has two chances to stop the rearward travel and it that fails it goes into the buffer tube, not through your neck or face.

Last edited:

44caliberkid

A few pictures of the bolt assembly. How do you get them to show in the post?

Attachments

• 4D2A3A31-B5FC-4EFA-8D37-296B389299C5.jpeg
    4D2A3A31-B5FC-4EFA-8D37-296B389299C5.jpeg
    24.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 1ED7E145-2D29-442F-9EA7-3D1D0B0037EB.jpeg
    1ED7E145-2D29-442F-9EA7-3D1D0B0037EB.jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 24
  • B5CD1EAF-A43C-4F7E-94E0-D16AC143E2D5.jpeg
    B5CD1EAF-A43C-4F7E-94E0-D16AC143E2D5.jpeg
    24.2 KB · Views: 25

stagpanther

A few pictures of the bolt assembly. How do you get them to show in the post?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4D2A3A31-B5FC-4EFA-8D37-296B389299C5.jpeg (24.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpeg 1ED7E145-2D29-442F-9EA7-3D1D0B0037EB.jpeg (23.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpeg B5CD1EAF-A43C-4F7E-94E0-D16AC143E2D5.jpeg (24.2 KB, 8 views)
Thanks for posting the pics--looks ready for prime time to me.;)