My $300 mag carrier.

KyJim

Here's the story of my $300 mag carrier --

I was visiting Wilson Combat's website and noticed they had a closeout on sharkskin holsters and mags for a SW 3913. I thing the 3913 is a great carry gun (9mm single stack). I had been carrying it IWB in a DeSantis Tuck This holster, functional but rather inexpensive. Anyway, I went ahead and ordered an OWB holster and a mag carrier. The mag carrier was $20.

This was over the weekend and, first of the week, Wilson contacted me and said they were actually out of stock on the holster. They credited my card with the holster charge and offered to do the same with the mag carrier. I decided against it and ordered a holster from RafterS. I had heard they make some of Wilson's holsters. It had to be sharkskin to match the mag carrier of course. I also decided to add an alligator band for looks.

This necessitated getting a sharkskin belt. I ordered one from the Beltman but he contacted me and said the shark leather he had recieved wasn't up to his standards. He offered to upgrade me to elephant at no extra charge. Outstanding customer service.

Well, I finally got the holster in from RafterS, several weeks after their promised date. Altogether, I figure the mag carrier has cost me over $300. Anyway, here's my $300 mag carrier:

SW_3913_RafterS_holster1.jpg

Tom2

And I suppose it is a CCW rig so no one will be able to ooh and ahh your rig. I had some other suggestions but just deleted them, they were way over the top. Nice gear.

KyJim

I suppose it is a CCW rig so no one will be able to ooh and ahh your rig.
Absolutely! Of course, even a CCW rig gets to be seen by the right people from time to time.

IRock

Nice rig. How tight do those holsters keep the gun in? All my OWB holsters are pancake type and really pull the gun in. By looking at the belt attachments on what I guess you would call askin style holsters I would think they stuck out a bit more from the body.

KyJim

I'll let you know Monday evening. I just got the holster Saturday and will wear it for real the first time Monday.

KyJim

I would think they stuck out a bit more from the body.
I wore it for real today. I don't think it sticks out anymore than a pancake. However, I think a pancake "smooths" out the lump a bit better. With a tight and/or thin covering garment, this might make a difference. There was no problem concealing with the leather jacket I wore today. I had also tried with with a lined windbreaker type of jacket and it concealed well.

HKFan9

Nice.... but I would rather spend the money on another gun or something, not jazzying up stuff that people aren't meant to see anyways. However I might do the same if i won the lottery and ran out of things I wanted to buy.:D

Tom2

OK I will say it. How about some other accessories like do they make sharkskin boots? Sharkskin wallet. Sharkskin Winchester man hat. You could walk into town wearing that giddup and everyone would say "don't mess with Sharkey!"

Kreyzhorse

Elephant belt.......... (We need a drooling icon here)

How is it? I've got a horsehide beltman that is outstanding but really, really wanted to go elephant.

KyJim

HKFan9 -- I understand the sentiment. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I have enough pistols but I do have more than I can fit into a decent carry rotation.

Tom2 -- Tell me when you find a sharksin hat. :)

Krezyhorse -- The elephant looks real nice. It has a plastic insert to help stiffen it. I know some belt makers look down on this but it sure helps support the weight of the guns I wear. The 3913 in the photo is fairly light but I have worn a steel Commander sized 1911 with the belt without any problems whatsoever.