My 21st Birthday Draws Near...

Nightcrawler

...and I'm turning over in my mind what pistol I want to buy on June 16th. I'm on something of a budget, so I'm going to say that about $800 is the absolute maximum limit. And that's pushing it, but I'd be willing to save up extra and strech for something I really liked.

I want a full size auto. Nothing less than 9x19.

I'm leaning towards the Beretta 92. I mean, there was a point in my life where I swore I'd never buy the king of the wundernines, but I'm also planning on getting a .44 Magnum Revolver, so that should satisfy my testosterone requirement.

I like the safety on the Taurus PT92 better than the Beretta, and it costs less to boot.

I like the CZ75's frame, but I'd have to order myself a CZ-85 as I've never seen one in a shop.

I like 1911s, a whoel bunch, but would have to spend at least $100 for an ambit saftey and probably more for a refinish after that so...not right now. And I'm not spending $1400 on a "custom shop" model.

I like the Rugers, but...I dunno. I've heard that working pre-ban Ruger 9mm mags are hard to find.

I liked the Springfield XD-40, but unless it's a .45, I'd prefer more than 10 rounds.

The CZ-97B does not have an Ambi safety. :(

The HK USP45 rocks...but it does not come with an ambi safety, at least not the models I've handled. I've heard it's easy to put one on without gunsmithing, though. Is there truth in this? It's expensive, but worth it.

The Sig P226 costs lot and the controls aren't really made for lefties.

The full sized Glocks do not fit my hand and pre-bans are too expensive.

I do plan on getting a Desert Eagle someday just for the cool factor, but first I'll go with something better suited to a beginner. :D

Any recommendations?

Rovert

Nightcrawler, my advice is always to buy what you shoot the best, and most safely. See if there's a way to rent each of the guns you mentioned, and I'm sure you'll quickly find that you'll develop preferences for pros/cons and likes/dislikes for each.

As to hi-caps, although they're nice, your'e buying a GUN, not a MAGAZINE. If you feel you need more capacity, just carry another mag. Don't sacrifice the greater shootability of a preferred gun for another that is less desireable, because it has highcaps. Fifteen of ammo you can't place on target isn't nearly as effective as three that you can.

That said, you left one very valid choice off your list, and it's well within your price range:
p99.jpg

Nightcrawler

Renting?

THere aren't any pistol ranges around here, except the one up at Michigan Tech, and they don't rent guns. Nobody around here rents guns, I'm afraid.

blades67

SIG Sauer pistols are perfect for left-handed shooters.

A Charles Daly full size 1911 comes with an ambi-safety and the price is around 400$.

As for a good first gun, a Glock 19 would be good. They also run about 400$ used and 9mm is cheap enough to allow you to practice without going broke.

Nightcrawler

Browning says they still make Hi-Powers. It's an option, I love the HPs grip angle. Price for a new HP?

The Sig's controls are difficult to manipulate left handed. I'm referring specifically to the decocker. Not a huge deal, but for a seven hundred dollar pistol... On the other hand, the Sig does have a buttery smooth trigger.

Can you reverse or get an ambi saftey on the HK USP45?

I really like the CZ-85, too, but I'd have to order one. It's cheaper as well. How's the sights/trigger?

Shake

Nightcrawler,

Congrats on turning 21.

The H&K DOES come with a lefty compatible safety, whats more, the magazine release is ambidextrous as well. You may not find one in a store, but H&K can and will switch any USP to a different variant(an H&K rep told me this could be done for $25). The variant you most likely would want is variant 2. With variant 2 you get the control lever on the right hand side of the gun, cocked & locked capability, and decock.

uspvariants.jpg

So, I've removed all of your reasons for not getting an H&K. Hope you enjoy it! :D

Truthfully, most of the firearms you mentioned will suit you just fine. Just be sure to get something you want as it is your first.

Shake

Nightcrawler

Oddly enough, a reversable mag release is unimportant to me, and I doubt I'd do it. I've gotten quite comfortable hitting the mag release with my trigger finger. (Makes you take the finger off of the trigger, and I have short thumbs anyway.)

Shake

That is the great thing about the USP. The mag release simply IS ambidextrous out of the box. No need to switch anything. You can choose to use your thumb or your trigger finger. Whichever is most comfortable.

I've found that using both my thumb and my finger works the best. Quick, positive, no worries.

Shake

StephenT

Nightcrawler, I'd recommend a CZ75B or 85 as an outstanding value. I own the 75B and 75D PCR, and both are dead accurate. You'll have extra money for a ton of ammo and that case of beer on your 21st B-Day.

chaim

Another vote for the CZ. I love my CZ 75. Great trigger (good DA very good SA and it can be carried in condition one, "cocked and locked"). Very reliable (I haven't cleaned mine in 600 rounds to see what it can do and no trouble since I started, I have 1600 rounds and only had one minor hiccup early on). Very durable, it was designed as a military pistol so it can take a beating. The most accurate 9mm I have ever shot.

Check out the CZ Forum.

Rovert

Nightcrawler, one thing you might want to consider is if you REALLY want to get used to a lefty-designed gun. Unfortunately for you southpaws, most guns are designed for righties, and a gun that you become accustomed to that's lefty, and the memorized motions for operation, may leave you in an awkward position if the SHTF and you need to use someone else's. If you force yourself to shoot a rightie gun, you will be able to shoot any gun. If you get acclimated to a lefty gun, you might get thrown for a loop for the next pistol you pick up.

ACP230

At 21 you can also buy full auto firearms. Even in Michigan where I think you are, Curio & Relic guns are legal to own if you have a C&R license. Just a thought.

Chipperman

Switching the safety/decocker on a USP is not difficult. I did it myself on my USP45c. You just have to order the parts first.
--
Since nobody has mentioned it, the Ultimate in lefty-friendly 9mm is the HK P7. They are a bit pricey, but you could find a refurb for the $800 you specify.

agjrc02

My first pistol I bought when i turned 21 last year was the CZ 75BD, which has the decocking lever. It is a great first pistol, dead on accurate, absolutely no FTF or FTE, and the price of ammo is cheaper. I'm now 21 years and 8 months :D and am enjoying the low cost of 9MM ammo on a college student budget. It's great check out the website chaim put up.

Regards,

agjrc02

Price of CZ75BD: $338 plus tax

Price of two box of ammo: $12

Beer at the DIXIE CHICKEN on 21st birthday: FREE!!! :D

Beretta 92FS. A delightful wundernine with cheap mags. High- cap, cheap ammo, and really good "expensive" self-defense ammo is available.

Cthulhu

I'd look harder still at the CZ-85, preferrably the pre-B models. I bought one at age 21 and one day. The 85 is accurate, reliable, and very controllable, plus cheap to feed. Ambidexterous controls are not particularly useful to me, but I chose the 85 because it was LNIB gun w/a high cap, and doesn't have the B series modifications which can muck up the smooth DA trigger pull. 9mm ammo is cheap and readily available, another plus for hardworking college students like you and I.
Of course, at 21 and 14 days, I also bought a Norinco 1911, so I can take my ammo savings in 9mm, and burn it up buying .45ACP rounds.