My 1st Review: SA-XD 357 SIG, a new favorite

datasmith

My local gun dealer had just got this gun in. And, while I'm not a big fan of DAO pistols, this gun's look and feel really appealed to me. I also usually don't buy a gun without trying one first. But, I was there to make a trade of some kind with an extra S&W Mod. 66 revolver I had in my safe. We worked a deal and I took the XD home with me.

This is the one -> SA XD .357 SIG

I also didn't know much, if anything about the .357 SIG round, which is kind of a neat looking little stepped-down cartridge.

Well, a day at the range with this gun gave me a whole new appreciation for a DAO-action pistol.

The grip fit my hand prefectly. It had a much smoother feel than a glock. The trigger was much easier to pull than I expected. The three-white-dot sights offered me quick target acquisition. These three things allowed me to get extremely tight groups, as accurate as my best firing gun.

And that .357 SIG round... it gave a pretty powerful kick, although not uncomfortable, as well as a loud report... it said what it meant.

All-in-all, I'd give ths gun my personal A+ rating. Glad I got it. It's a keeper.

yy4u

Are you sure that the pistol is really DA? As far as I know, the "XD" series of guns are single action only...basically they’re polymer 1911's. Could that non-Springfield ad contain a typo?

datasmith

I stand corrected...yy4u

And that's probably why I like the gun, too. You're right. I hadn't thought about it, but although the gun is striker fired, the trigger is not capable of cocking the striker. Only racking the slide does. The Springfield Armory site doesn't mention whether the gun is SA or DAO.. it mentions a patented Safety fire trigger only. My initial assumption (before actually handling the XD)was that striker-fired=DAO... bad assumption. The fact is, you can't re-strike an unfired round in the XD, you must eject it to cock the striker... that's why the trigger pull is so easy. No pressure required to cock the striker. I must go update my database. Thx.

sindiesel666

XDs are basically single action

Just did a trigger job on mine yesterday, and it's so much better now, probably around 2.5-3 pounds. XDs are great out of the box, the only thing that sucks is the really long reset, but that can be fixed too.
And with your 357 sig you can get an aftermarket barrel for a 9mm, and shoot a whole lot more for the price of ammo.
My buddy has a 5 inch Tactical 40, and he got the EFK barrel... shoots 9 mm all day long for $3.86/50 rounds versus 12 bucks for 40.

datasmith

Database is updated...

Try now...
SA-XD .357 SIG

But, I think I need to start a thread on the whole DAO, XD, striker-fired subject.

You see, the first gun I bought a few years back was a Taurus PT-140. It was a true striker-fired DAO gun. Every pull was long and heavy as it had to cock the striker every time. I hated it. I traded it for a Smith Wesson SW40VE, another striker fired gun with a much lighter pull. Honestly, I thought is was a DAO too. But after this thread I went back to check it too, and what do you know. It only cocks when you rack it, too. Technically a single-action gun. Thus the light trigger pull... I've never fired a Glock, thinking it was a DAO... but their trigger is listed as a "Safe Action" trigger. Have I incorrectly thought bad of the Glock as well? Is it actually a single-action striker that requires rack cocking as well?

I'm starting a new thread...

qwert.380

I have the XD-40 in the service model and love it I have put over 500 rds. in it and not one malfunction. I can buy the 357 or the 9 barrel and since you have the 357 you gan buy the 40 and the 9 barrel and I have heard that you canust the same magazine for all three rounds. any way it is a great gun :D

rdebert

9mm barrel made by EFK is $150. When available can be ordered through pistol-gear.com (sp?). Works great.

rdebert

You can use a standard 9mm magazine no problem. The 357-Sig and 40 Cal mags are the same except for the markings and most will feed 9mm without any trouble at (giving you more than 10 rounds as well..like 14 or 15). Mine do. If there is a problem they can be tweaked a little in order to make them work (by adjusting feed lips I think). Haven't had to do any tweaking myself but the xd board has information on how to do it easily if necessary.

tintcutter

Range Report XD40 5 inch

200 rounds fired.

It did everything they said it would in the manual. It is set to shoot high to the sights, but they said that also.

ZERO malfunction.

Metellus

I have a glock 32 that can fire both 40 and 357sig simply by switching the barrel. But that won't work with 9mm due to a different extractor. Are you saying the XD can fire all 3 cartridges simply by switching the barrel?

rdebert

Yes--the EFK conversion barrels will give you 3 calibers in 1 XD as long as you start out with either the 40 Cal or 357-Sig as the base. I have the 357-Sig and the 9mm conversion...works great.