My 1911 is surviving on its looks.

Dashunde

Its a Para SSP, I've sworn since I've owned it that I'd keep it for good or at least only trade it for another 1911.
I'm not so sure anymore.
I'm looking for a few rock solid reliable non-1911 suggestions to replace it.
CZ-97? Glock 21? H&K USP45?
I'm looking for a classic well known gun that is utterly reliable and shoots good with accuracy and a nice "feel".

It'll be a home defense and range gun, no carry at all.

I took 4 guns to the range on Saturday;
Buckmark Hunter - 300 rounds - 0 failures
LCP - 50 rounds - 0 failures
Glock 27 - 200 rounds - 0 failures
1911 - 50 rounds - 2 FTE's - same as last trip out.

Last edited:

jdc1244

I'm looking for a classic well known gun that is utterly reliable and shoots good with accuracy and a nice "feel".

Well, um, that’s a 1911.

The problem is the make, not the platform. Or some specific issue with this particular gun.

THORN74

I agree with Jdc1244 ... ur looking for a better 1911.

beyond that .... buy a Sig. Bet-ur-life-reliable.

michael t

Sell the Para:rolleyes: and buy a real 1911 . Colt, Dan Wesson be a couple to look at for starters RIA be more reliable than Para. My Para was a 1 shot pistol.

bdb benzino

Don't be down on 1911's because of your Para, just buy a more reliable 1911? I hate to say it cause their guns are so good looking, but Para is not really known for falwless preformance. Other brands can offer great reliability. For instance I bought a Metro Arms 1911 around 2 years ago for $450, and it has not had any kind o failure in over 1000 rounds. Reliability does not have to cost an arm and a leg either.;) Good luck.:D

oldandslow

dash, 8/9/10

I have both 1911 and non-1911 .45's, most of them reliable. I would second the opinion not to get too swayed by an unreliable Para. There are a good number of reliable 1911 makers out there, but even the best occasionally have a lemon. My favorite flavor 1911 is the Springfield. Mine is a Milspec and has 5000 trouble free rounds through it.

Other reliable non-1911's I like are the Sig 220 (a classic in itself), HK USP-compact (unfortunately with terrible double-action triggers), the SW 3rd generation series (I have the 4566 and 4516) and even the Beretta 8045 series. Glock has a great reputation as well but I do not have one in .45. Good luck in your quest.

best wishes- oldandslow

MosinM38

For the price: Rock Island Armory 1911s have a good reputation. Mine was good for a long time, about round 1500 I had the extracter tuned, but good other than that.

Uncle Malice

One of my fav's

fnpmilitary.jpg

cougar gt-e

Springfield XDm-45. Will give you 13 rounds in the mag. The slightly less well optioned XD -45 will be a bit less money and has the same 13 round capacity.

They (and nearly all striker fired handguns) won't have the same trigger feel as a well tuned 1911, but the addition of a trigger kit (about $100) makes them close.

Dre_sa

I'll say,
for range purposes, and HD purposes (since you won't carry it) try for a HK USP tactical in .45
alternatively, there is the HK45, a superb weapon.

jglsprings

Does the "Para SSP" have the standard 1911 extractor? It doesn't take but a tweak or two to fit the extractor on a (standard, normal, typical - whatever) 1911.

Dashunde

I'll feel like such a polymer schmuck if I unload the Para for something plastic. (I'll ADD one instead)
I probably shouldnt be so quick to be critical of it.
This Para has around 5000 FMJ's through it by now with zero parts replacement or problems.
It might be helpful to sharpen or square-up any wear/rounding of the bitting edge of the extractor, and make a special effort to not limp-wrist it at all.

Pilot

Get another 1911. Something from Colt or Springfield would be fine. Other all metal choices are the CZ-97B (my first choice) or the similar Witness.

In polymer? The HK USP full size .45 or Tactical .45 are nice.

azredhawk44

Tune the extractor on your Para.

Frankly, it sounds like an extractor with too little tension. Not keeping the fired case firm against the breech face during the extraction stroke, prior to getting whacked out of the way by the ejector.

My Colts both did this (1991 and LW Commander XSE).

To fix it, I increased tension on the extractor (by increasing the inwards bend of it... no filing necessary) until the extractor had enough force to hold a loaded case against the breech face if inserted by hand while the gun is disassembled.

Prior to the fix, I'd get FTE's towards the last couple rounds in a magazine. Strong mag spring tension was bumping rounds out the ejection port rather than firm extraction to the ejector. As the mag spring lost stored force (and the mag became less full), the empty would be bumped out with less vigor, until it would barely dribble out and it would cause hang-ups during feed of the next case.

My brass would be all over the place rather than in a nice little pile.

Now, my brass goes to the same place each time. I've put about 300 trouble-free rounds through the LW Commander and about 1000 through the 1991 since the extractor tuning.

People like to bash Para's guns, or just about anything that isn't a Springer or Colt... but Paras are popular and reliable guns with lots of different types of shooters. Particularly race-gunners, though, who don't want to shell out for an STI. Paras work just fine.

HappyHunting

sig 220 has been flawless, colt commander has been flawless, buddy is pining for a HK USP 45 and then I will see if that one is worth the dough. That Fabrique is a fine looking piece though.

HH

rsxr22

There are lots of good options including higher quality 1911's. STI, Springfield (above the loaded models), Dan Wesson, HK, Sig, FN, Smith, Glock, and XD all make very good options and you cant go wrong with either one