Muzzleloader

ramp_tech

Okay, I've got a stupid question for you'll genius.

I've never own or shot a muzzleloader in my my life so I don't know a thing about it. In a couple weeks, my 17 years old nephew will be turning 18 and is asking for a muzzleloader for his birthday.

Now, since I don't know a darn thing about muzzleloader, I have a couple questions:

(1) What kind of muzzleloader to buy? (Something under $200 please)
(2) Ammo? Do you have to buy the black powder in packages, primers, and bullets separately?
(3) Does it require the NICS check? If it doesn't, I am just gonna mail him a check for $150 so he can get it himself. It will be a lot easier that way since we live 6 hours away.

Thank you in advance Experts!

bejay

there is a muzzleloader forum that would be the best spot for this but.
1.they make several inlines under 200 if that is the type he wants if he wants a traditional may have to look for a used one.
2. not sure what your asking? they are usually sold individually instead of a package.
3. no he can even order online and have it shipped to his door.

Jimro

A CVA Buckhorn can be had for a lot less than 200. I know because I just bought one. Now I need to order a musket cap breech plug and nipple to make it legal for the WA state muzzle loader hunting season. 209 shotgun primers are only allowed during modern firearm season here.

Jimro

Trigger Time

Ohio is a big place, but if you can get to the Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, or Mountain State Muzzleloading in WV near Marietta you will get a first class education on the subject.

$200 won't buy much, if any, of a traditional muzzleloader. It will buy a low end inline. And be advised, shooting muzzleloaders requires a lot of patience. Shooting them well requires a lot of skill.

PetahW

[(1) What kind of muzzleloader to buy? (Something under $200 please)] -

I would check several of the online discount houses, for an inexpensive .50 caliber - since it's easily the most common & easiest to find components for.
BassPro/Cabelas/SportsmansGuide are a few places to start.
The BP rifle can be bought with plastic & mailed to him.

[(2) Ammo? Do you have to buy the black powder in packages, primers, and bullets separately?] -

Usually, but some makers offer a "starter pack" with everything needed to get started, then (for continued use) component replacments/refills can be purched at a WallyWorld or online at BassPro or Cabela's.

[(3) Does it require the NICS check?] -

Nope, it's a lot like buying sneakers - unless there's some local law/prohibition.