Muzzlebrake question

Azrael256

A friend of mine has a post-ban Romanian-made AK-47 SAR1, and he's decided that he wants to put on a muzzlebrake. I looked over the legalities of "assault weapons", and it appears that muzzlebrakes are kosher, but we still have a bit of a problem. Obviously the AK-47 type muzzlebrake is not a flash supressor, but he wants an AK-74 type. Is it considered a flash supressor? If it is, does anyone know of a muzzlebrake that will deliver good performance without a call from the ATF?

yankytrash

CDNN Investments has a nice-looking one exactly as you describe, and they call it a muzzlebrake. Unfortunately, they are out of stock right now.

Whoever he orders it from, just tell him to call them and ask to send a copy of the approval letter with the brake. I'm sure they'll be happy to ablige.

The key feature in the AK-74 muzzlebrake versus a flash suppressor (usually called "flame extinguishers" when refering to commie guns) is the presence of holes along the top and/or sides along the best part of the length of the brake (usually a row of two or three holes).

If there aren't holes, try to avoid it. Could raise some eyebrows.

Also, make sure to look at descriptions closely - alot of brakes like the one you describe only fit Chinese AKs.

yankytrash

Try SKSman . Remember to call first to check stock. With the recent popularity of the SARs, I'd imagine a lot of dealers are temporarily out of stock on popular items like muzzlebrakes.

M700

The one from CDNN won't work. It's only for the chinese guns. Go here for what you need. Keep in mind, if it is a 2001 SAR-1, they have a different diameter barrel than the other years. Let them know what year you have when you order one.

http://www.aa-ok.com/ak_parts.htm

Good Luck