Muzzle up or muzzle down for storage?

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
For long-term, you should run a lightly oiled patch through the bore, then stand the gun on its muzzle, so the oil doesn't run down through the action into the stock.

------------------
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."
-- John Hay, 1872

Shotgun

I always store my long guns muzzle down for long term or short term storage. The reason for this is that you do not want the oil that is in the action to drain down into the wood stock since that would eventually discolor and in extreme cases rot to wood.

DC

Moderator Emeritus
Likewise...muzzle down. Besides the oil draining, you won't get dust and spiders taking up residence in the barrel (primarily a rural problem :))

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
I've always heard that a properly oiled firearm won't have any excess oil to run down into the action or the stock. If this is correct and the long gun is stored muzzle up, then the only problem would be the above mentioned dust and spiders. I have also heard that you can use condoms (unlubricated) over the muzzles of your long guns to keep the bugs out.

These are just things I've heard, but try it, it might work for you. Make sure when you go to the pharmacy to ask for the condoms that you tell the clerk that they are for a long gun and not a snubbie. ;)

------------------
RKBA!

"The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security"
Ohio Constitution, Article I, Section 4
Concealed Carry is illegal in Ohio.
Ohioans for Concealed Carry Website

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
Those condoms can cause rust if there is any moisture/fungerprints under them.

A quick easy solution is to stick a cartridge nose down in the bore,effectively plugging the barrel from dust.. spiders, etc and wont rust your gun. DON'T hammer it in there, just place the bullet into the muzzle.

I've seena number of storage racks available for safes, but NEVER one that allows the rifles to be stored muzzle down.. anyone??

Dr.Rob

Matt VDW

For whatever it's worth, all of the rifle racks I've seen in military armories are designed to hold rifles in a muzzle-up position.

Hueco

I have heard a few things on this matter. One is that you should never block the muzzle -- water vapor can't get out as easily. So I figure tha tyou should store it muzzle-down, but I am not going to let my crown on the ground! So here is what I would do: store it muzzle-up, and band a flannel-patch on the muzzle. My thoughts, that's all.

Hueco

My safe is so stuffed I've got things muzzle up and muzzle down. It's the only way I can jam them in.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Mal H

Staff
I've always stored muzzle up with a golf tee placed lightly in the barrel to keep the crawlies out. The tee is good for .22 all the way to .45 and it isn't air tight since it is held by the lands. Like Hueco, I've heard that it shouldn't be air tight because a change in temp can cause condensation if it is.

Donny

Hmmm, I never thought of doin that with my guns... Heck, any idea how I'm gonna mount my rifle rack in the pickup window sideways???

Always was muzzle up, and with the cut-off fingers of new cheap cotton gloves, lightly oiled, over the bores...Will cover anything form .22's to bull barrells.

And to boot, then I have a set of Michael gloves on hand when doin chores 'bout the house...

Best Regards,
Don

[This message has been edited by Donny (edited December 28, 1999).]