Muzzle Flash from .223 / AR

Jeff Thomas

In testing at the range the other day, I noted the extreme muzzle flash from .223 PMC. I don't think the S&B was much better. This is a post-ban Bushie, and therefore, no flashhider.

Any self defense use of this rifle is very unlikely and not expected. However, one of its various uses is certainly that possibility. And, since many self-defense uses occur after dark, I have some concern about how that rifle would perform if there was a problem that required its use.

So, for a post-ban rifle, is there any .223 that is low, or at least much lower flash? I gather there is absolutely nothing I can legally do to the rifle itself to rectify this situation.

It would be neat if there was a web site that posted info on ammo, with various ratings for flash, ballistics, cost, etc.

Thanks for your help. Regards from AZ

Battler

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS

I heard that there was a flash retardant in military powders, 10% chalk dust.

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS.

Just go off and research mil. flash retardant. If nothing else, you can find flash retarded mil. powder to load your ammo.

DO NOT DO THIS.

I have no idea how abrasive the chalk is on the barrel, or whether or not 10% more of anything will blow up.

DO NOT TRY THIS UNTIL YOU HAVE RESEARCHED IT - I COULD BE FULL OF IT!!

DO NOT TRY THIS - IF ANY ASPECT OF IT IS CORRECT IT MAY HELP IN YOUR SEARCH - TRY NOTHING HERE UNTIL PROPERLY VERIFIED.

Battler.

pokey074

i've got a picture i've been meaning to scan and post for quite a while now and you've given me the reason to. it's a pic of me firing my 16" post ban AR with Rem. UMC ammo. nearly dark out and barely any flash at all.

LIProgun

About a year ago I was shooting a Bushy shorty (no flash suppressor) in a Tactical Carbine course. For most of the course I used M855 Ball ammo (made by IMI), which had hardly any flash. At one point I switched to some circa 1980 ammo made by PMC and labelled M193 Ball, and was accused of using a flame thrower.

I think if you buy current production mil-spec ammo you may be able to get the muzzle flash down.

RobCon

IMI produces very little flash from my post-ban 16" Bushmaster and shoots quite well. Cole Distributing has excellent prices on IMI. Remington 50gr hp is also low flash and CorBon ammo is as well.

Jeff Thomas

Thanks for all the tips. I don't reload presently, and so I'll buy some of each of those mentioned and give them a try.

Take care, and regards from AZ

VinceMP

muzzlebrake vs flash hider

Since the flash supressor is supposed to reduce the flash from the firer and not the target, would using a side ported muzzlebreak accomplish the same thing?

I know that MBs increase the flash but if it is diverted to the sides wpuld that help?