Muzzle device attachment and accuracy?

Shadow9mm

So i was thinking. Does the way you attach a muzzle device effect accuracy? Would using shims provide a more solid and consistent attachment vs a crush washer?

taylorce1

I seriously doubt it, if it does most wouldn't be able to take advantage of it. It would be similar to an integral recoil lug vs. one like Savage, Remington, Tikka, and other rifles use that isn't integral.

44 AMP

Staff
So i was thinking. Does the way you attach a muzzle device effect accuracy?

Yes.

and, no, sort of...:rolleyes:

Attaching ANYTHING to your rifle barrel affects the way it shoots. That is the "yes" part. Flash suppressor, "silencer", muzzle brake, BAYONET, or even the tube magazine support bracket, ANYTHING you attach to the barrel changes it's vibration when fired and can affect accuracy.

The difference between a bare barrel and one with attachments might be small or it might be huge, that is something only testing of individual combinations can determine.

HOW you attach the device might have an effect on the amount or consistency of the change, but not on the fact that there is a change. That's the "no...sort of" part.

zeke

The instructions on the muzzle brake am using specify NOT to use crush washers. Washer (shims if you prefer) packets with varying thickness to "time" the openings on the brake are included with the muzzle brake. Am of opinion they also helped keep the caliber specific openings concentric with the bore.

I did not try some with crush washers to determine what effect they would have. Likely it depends on the specific muzzle attachment you are using. Have taken off flash hiders and some brakes (if memory holds) that used crush washers. What ever the attachment is, they may be instructions included or ask the manufacturer what they recommend.

Last edited:

HiBC

I prefer to put the attachment in a lathe and face it to index it. I reject the heavy spring crush washers.
I go light on the torque when installing. Rattle is no good, but there is not that much cross section of barrel steel between the minor dia of 1/2 in x20 tpi minus groove dia of the bore. Think of a 7/16 in tube with roughly .100 wall section and a cross sectional area of about .106. Now think of the mechanical advantage of 1/2 -20 threads.
Thats the last touch of the bore launching the bullet. The Quarterbacks finger tips releasing a football spiral pass. I don't want to stress or stretch it with 4 white knuckles on the cheater bar of torque to get from 11:55 on the clock to 12:00.
That said,I know someone who robs the crush washer off of a new spark plug.
Those are soft plated copper and they crush pretty easy. Its an option