Muzzle crown - Winchester '94

ligonierbill

I have a Canadian Centennial model that was rebored to 38-55. It shoots pretty good, but very low. So, I changed out the front sight. I noticed that the muzzle has not even the slightest bevel, just squared off. I have another in 30-30, and it has a small bevel, no more than a millimeter wide. Should the big bore get the same treatment, or does it matter?

tobnpr

Assuming the bevel you're referring to is at the end of the bore (and not the outside edge of the barrel)- it's not an issue one way or the other as long as the crown is done correctly

I will usually make a very small, 60 degree chamfer to break the sharp edge of he rifling at the muzzle. This assures there are no burrs that will affect the bullet on exit. Some smiths do this, some do not...

Take a Q-tip and run it around the inside edge of the bore at the muzzle. If sharp edges catch fibers, they should be carefully stoned off.

Last edited:

hooligan1

At my local hardware, nuts and bolts, the have a selection of brass cap nuts, I use those with a 2" piece of bolt that threads into it, and some fine lapping compound and cordless drill.
I use a wide circular motion while brass nut is turning at crown to put an even, clean angle to clean those burrs out, or maybe a damaged crown..