muzzle break suggestions

ADIDAS69

I have this brake

http://www.rrarms.com/cat_images/BL-TSB.JPG

on my 300 Win Mag and on my 223 AR, terribly exciting. I love it when my toys match, I buy all Bosch power tools for the same reason. My 50BMG is conspicuous amongst his brothers. I have contacted Tromix and they are un-willing to create one. I own a BOHICA and they are not willing to help either. The design is easy enough and i have gained access to the proper machine shop facilities.

I wonder if anyone had any suggestion for an appropriate alloy. I have machined before but nothing that would have to handle the pressures and such. Any help is appreciated. :D

ogree

Use some 4120 or 4140 that has not heat treated.
The material a flash hider/muzzle brake is made from will work harden over time from the heat it is exposed to.
If you start with hardened steel to begin with, the device would fail sooner than a softer material.
Now the average person would probably never put the amount of ammo through a rifle that would cause that kind of failure, so that is not of great concern, you would use up a barrel or two before that would occur.
Standard 4120/4140 will be durable and easier to machine and is probably the most common ferrous steel alloy used these days in the firearms industry.

Good luck.

ADIDAS69

Ogree,

Thank you for lifting a bit of fog. Stabbing in the dark is fun, bot with guns though. I'll post results when i have them.