Muzzle Brakes

I need Suggestions for a "good" gunsmith in the DFW, Texas area to have a Muzzle Brake installed on my Mid-Range target/Varmint rifle. Any suggestions on where to go or better yet, where not to go?

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
:) To me, a muzzle brake is a device to reduce the recoil from some sort of shoulder-thumper*. So, my recommendation for a "mid-range target/Varmint" rifle is: Don't bother.

Art

* And annoy the bejeezus out of everybody around you at the range.

tINY

Skip the brake unless you really need it. For varmints, I'd say load lighter bullets.....

-tINY

MeekAndMild

Sorry Precision, my scant trips to Dallas have been on the way to points west and I've never stopped there long enough to know the territory. If I had a gun I wanted to fit with one I'd probably send it off to the brake manufacturer's shop to have the work done. Welcome to TFL.

Arabia

Muzzle brakes are not designed to reduce the recoil but to control the muzzle climb (flip) on the rifle. MB will help keep the rifle on target after the shot. They can be very effective on an carbine or short barrel AR. On a long barrel varmint rifle it probably won't make a huge difference.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Arabia, the action of a muzzle brake depends in part on the angles of the cuts. I suggest reading some about the variations. Yes, they can act to reduce muzzle jump; no doubt. But angled to the rear, they do reduce recoil. I suggest looking at Barrett's solutions on his lightweight .50BMGs.

Art

The break I have is this one www.jprifles.com/1.4.2.php model JPRE-428. It is going on my Tikka T3 Super Varmint 7mm Mag. It will not only reduce recoil but also control muzzle jump. The recoil of the 7mm Mag is not that bad, but throw in the fact that I spend anywhere from 3-6 hours shooting over 100 rds then it can get kinda painfull on the shoulder. I was just needing a reputable place to install it.

Manedwolf

Just a side note on that, it is, indeed, a muzzle BRAKE.

It drives me nuts when I see people use "muzzle break", especially in print. It's like calling a magazine a "clip". :)

A muzzle break is when you fire a rifle with the boresighter still in it. ;)
A BRAKE is a device that redirects some of the gases to reduce recoil or counter muzzle rise.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Now, now, hoytinak, I said, "usually". Face it, when folks say, "Varmint rifle," they're usually talking about 6mm or smaller.

Then there was a buddy of mine who thought a good reason to buy a trade-in Model 70 in .458 WinMag was to shoot armadillos...

:), Art

Socrates

P shooter:
Can't help with anybody in Texas. Jack Huntington put a great one on my 375 H&H, but, he's in Kali.

S

Scorch

A 7mm Maggie isn't usually thought of as a varmint rifle
That depends on the size of the varmints! But seriously, I had a friend in Nevada that used his 7mm Rem Mag for rockchucks at 600 yds. A 120 gr bullet at 3600 fps is quite impressive!!

BMARM4

On light "vermin" ammo, wouldn't a brake effect accuracy?

I have a Savage 116SE, 458 Win. Mag. Safari with an adjustable brake (turns it on or off by opening or closing the vents). On, it definately reduces recoil, but makes for an unpleasant experience (sound wise) for any spectators to your side.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Me, I'd sight in for the condition I'd use in the field. So, I'd do the sight-in when no other folks were around...

:), Art

FirstFreedom

Then there was a buddy of mine who thought a good reason to buy a trade-in Model 70 in .458 WinMag was to shoot armadillos...

Lol, armadillo gun.... Now *I* have been known to really reach for justifications for a new rifle, but that takes the cake! :D

applesanity

Oh muzzle brakes.

I'll be sure to be as far away from you as possible if or when we happen to be at the same range at the same time.

Nothing personal. I'm sure you shower frequently.