Muzzelloader Bore Light/Inspection

Pahoo

Quite often you find a used front loader that looks great on the outside but turns you off when you find out the bore is bad. You find that there are degrees of bad or good bores. Hope the following information will be helpful.

• CVA makes a bore light that fits a .50 and larger. Sells for about $10.00. there is a threaded ring on the front end and if you carefully remove it, it will fit a .45. I always carry one with me.
  • I also have an aluminum slug about 3/4" long that has a polished end and that goes down the bore and will reflect a light beam when directed down the bore. You could also use a flat pistol bullet. I also carry a small LED flashlight.
  • On smaller clalibers, down to a .32 and even "God Help" smaller, I use a fishing bobber light cell. Used sparingly, will last a long time.
  • Now, if you don't have the above, you can ride the rod with jag up and down the bore and if it's really rough, you will feel it. Go ahead and try it on your own. Might add, that I also carry some wet patches and run them down as well. Here too, you will feel the condition of the bore.

Okay, in all cases, you need to get permission from the gun owner. Also take care not to get your devices stuck down the bore, on really dirty rifles. Depending on the deal, you may be able to live with some minor bore problems. If not, walk away. After I inspect any bore, I usually tell the owner about any problems or compliment his "front Loader". Good luck and be safe !!