Mutton Tallow!!

freedom475

I finally found a great source for Mutton Tallow!!:D

I was going to buy from Dixie Gun Works, but from the new reviews on there product it doesn't sound too good.....and they are selling 1lb jars of it and only putting in 10/12oz.:confused: Some guys don't even think it is pure tallow.

This lady is Real nice and her product comes out of Australia. It is 100% pure Mutton Tallow. Company has been around since 1895 and has been in her family since the 50's.

Her price is $10/lb but it is an honost lb and I think it is cosmetic grade, so it is the GOOD STUFF!
Here is the contact info....(no web sight yet and that is why she was so had to find). Her shipping is actual cost..she even asked me for my zip code for shipping costs in case she could ship it cheaper than "Flat Rate"

Anita Baker
abaker@hughes.net
931-729-2697

I am getting no kickbacks from this...I just wanted to share this info with you guys so now we all have a good source for our tallow...She said she had a large inventory on hand.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Well you can rub it into your skin and clean your cuticles with it for starters. :D

I just bought 3 tubs of Mutton Tallow from DGW. It's the real deal, is very clean and netted 36 ounces or so from the three tubs.

Already brewed some up for lubing wads and got a request for some from my mother for her skin. Playing with mixtures to use in the Florida summer now.

Doc Hoy

Limited...Very limited...comparison

The chemical composition of mutton tallow is very similar to that of lard. There are subtle differences between the two substances.

I reasoned that functionally, lard which is far cheaper and easier to acquire could be substituted for mutton tallow.

So I made up two batches of lube according to the following proportions

1:1 MT to Beeswax

1:2 Lard to Beeswax

These mixtures produced lube of very similar consistencies.

The lubes performed (to the llimited extent I was able to observe) identically.

Same bullet speed (I was shooting .45-70 and .45LC from a carbine) and same cleanliness.

This little test does not answer all of the questions about the relative performance of lard and MT. I think that some re-enactors feel compelled to use MT because it is historically correct when lard may be.

freedom475

Mutton tallow has long been considered one of the best BP lubes you can get.

It is one of the ingredients in the famed (and very expensive) SPG lube used to win 1000yard Black Powder Cartridge Rifle matches.

Mutton tallow is the right stuff for Black Powder shooters. ;)

I just shot a long range, black powder rifle match that was 64 shots, With no cleaning of our rifles. Shots were from 75 to 550 yards. It was a "hunting" style woods walk, with many of the targets being plywood animals with steel gong, kill zone cut-outs

On the last target, we had a 1/2" thick, 8"dia, steel gong turn sideways and get stuck in 6" kill zone cut-out hole of a plywood mountian lion target at 170yards (only shots that hit the gong counted as hits).

There was a very pretty young lady in our group shooting a 40-65 Sharps and she had plenty of extra ammo...so we asked her to turn(fix) our target if she could......on her 2nd shot she hit the angled gong and turned it exactly on edge:confused:, her 3rd shot she hit the 1/2" wide edge of that steel target, and knocked our target back into positon!!:eek: That was after 60 rounds of Blackpowder. She was shooting a Mutton Tallow based lube and using a blow tube for fouling maintenance;)

There are lots of things that "work" for BP lube....but not all of the lubes will keep your gun firing accurately for very long. ( Like hog lard, grease, pariffin, Crisco, or beeswax/olive oil mixes, etc.)....A good lube will hold moisture and allow extended shooting with no "foul-out"....and I'm not talking a 14" steel plate at 30 feet:p

Last edited: