Mutt & Jeff 9mm's at the range

ligonierbill

Since I don't get enough practice (oh, it shows), I have taken to running a couple mags through my PF9 every range visit, no matter what I'm shooting otherwise. Now, for you KelTec haters, this little ugly has never ever failed to function, but, well, I have.

So, today I had my new-to-me S&W 59 back to back with the KelTec. I have seen some negative comments on the old Smith, but I won't have any. The first shot double action was smooth and light, and the single action was just nice. A few shots, and I was easily laying them in the black. If you want all metal (aluminum frame) DA/SA, you really should find one of these.

Maybe it felt worse by comparison, but the PF9 is a handful. Well, not really. I have relatively small hands, and my pinky is under the mag, so more like 3 fingers full. It is, of course, light, and (what I noticed most) narrow. Great to carry (it's in my pocket now), but really requires concentration to shoot well. Makes me wonder how folks are doing with .40 S&W or .45 ACP in these micro pistols.

In any case, I nominate the S&W 59 for "classic" status.

Sevens

Haha, us S&W 1-2-3rd Gen folks will appreciate your "nomination" of classic for the 59 but might have to say that you're a bit late on the nomination! The 39/59 are -the- roots of the American "wondernine" in police service. Thanks to the Illinois State Police, the 39/59 became American gun culture historical icons decades ago.

The first American made double action high-cap and the first hi-cap 9mm to serve for a major American LE organization, the model 59 has long since earned it's place in history. And it forged it's place when EVERY American beat cop was wearing a .38 or .357 revolver. This was no small feat.

ligonierbill

Yeah, and it still works pretty good. I'm not a "no plastics" guy, but this is a better pistol. Run a search. When I asked about it on this forum a month or so ago, folks were gar mouthing it as "a brick". Sheez.

PS: I'm in central Ohio...Chillicothe.

bedbugbilly

I had a chance to buy a 59 a year ago and I passed it by. I have regretted it ever since then. A LE widow had sold it to a LGS and my ignorance on them caused me to hold off . . . now I wished I hadn't! :)

Sevens

Well... actually, 'brick' is a term often used for the 59 and as much or more for the 659 (stainless 2nd Gen double stack) as these guns do feel awfully -FAT- in the shooting hand. They probably aren't comfortable for everyone and I have often said that if someone wanted to get an idea of what the 3rd Gen ergonomic improvements actually feel like... comparing a 59/659 to a 5906 is a fine way to do it.

The design is phenomenal and the 3rd Gens were the pinnacle of the design.

I've got a slew of 1-2-3rd Gens, they are my passion in this ballgame. I actually don't have a 59, but my 659 is quite similar. It is a very chunky handgun and I can really see the term "brick" but I can't say that term rubs me the wrong way... because it's an awfully good pistol that I love to shoot. :D

Sevens

Oops, I meant to add...
No fretting over a missed S&W 1-2-3rd Gen, one you had or a deal you passed by. Fact is that S&W made a huge volume of these fantastic guns and the market for them On Gunbroker is extremely active. You can find countless different models in all ranges of price and condition. There certainly are some certain models and configurations that are rare and the price often reflects that but for the most part you can find many sweet deals on great old but totally capable pistols.

I'll tell you first hand though, these are addictive.

carguychris

I prefer the 3rd-gen double-stack autos to the M59 (and the 2nd-gen M459/559/659) because the grip ergonomics are better IMHO, and the sights are better too, although the optional fully-adjustable unit on the later full-size pistols remains almost comically large. :rolleyes: The issue is that the 1st-gen rear sight blade is notorious for shredding cover garments. :(

OTOH I think the ergos of the single-stack 39-series grip went in the wrong direction with the 3rd-gens, becoming uncomfortably angular in the name of minimizing width.

My nominee for "classic" status among the S&W metal-frame autos is the M539. :) OK, without the ridiculous and offensive Philips-head RH decocker/safety lever retaining screw, that is. :rolleyes:

One plus of the 1st generation is that the SA trigger lacks the crunchy takeup of the 2nd/3rd-gen trigger because there is no firing pin block. The obvious resultant minus, however, is that there is no firing pin block with the pistol off-safe. IIRC S&W officially advises against carrying the 1st-gen pistols in DA/off-safe mode; if you choose to do so, IMHO you should at least use a retention holster.

Hal

Thanks to the Illinois State Police, the 39/59 became American gun culture historical icons decades ago.
yep - in 1967..(I had to look up the date).

But, really though, wasn't it Starsky or was it Hutch, that had it gain national exposure? ;). :D

larryf1952

...But, really though, wasn't it Starsky or was it Hutch, that had it gain national exposure?
That would've been Starsky. In fact, seeing the M59 on that show convinced me to buy one in 1979, when my gun collection was still very much in its formative stage. I owned that gun until just a few years ago. I had acquired many other 9mm's over the years, and I didn't shoot the 59 much any longer. I sure did like that gun, though.

This is the 59 just before I sold it...

SWM59.jpg

JN01

I had, in the past, owned several S&W TDA autos but traded the last of them off years ago.

Then last week, I came across a very nice (90-95% finish) police trade in 5903 for a decent price. A trip to the range made me wonder why I had sold off my old ones in the first place.

JB60

If you have a 2nd or 3rd had better take care of them as I'm sure you do. Parts are getting hard to find and expensive and maybe S&W repair is only done for original owner.

rodfac

Great sights...but then S&W has always had great sights on their offerings. I'd like to customize my Hi Power with a pair of low riding sights like those. (read: they won't hang up on your leather during the draw movement) Rod

t45

I know this post is supposed to be about the S&W 59 but I give another thumbs up for the PF-9. Mines been totally reliable and is my go to CCW.

ThomasT

I owned a 59 many years ago but shot it so little I don't have any real opinions on it. I do have a model 39-2 and a model 915. I like them both. The grip on the 915 is no larger than the single stack grip on the 39. The original owner of the 915 had a trigger job done on it and man is it smooth. I wish I knew who did it. I would have it done on the 39-2.